Go Big and Ride Small

The Things We Ride
Magnusson

Re: Go Big and Ride Small

Post by Magnusson »

You could probably fit a kitchen sink in there. :D

Having a bag on the backseat is not too bad. It gives back support. Ideal for longer trips.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Magnusson wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:26 pm You could probably fit a kitchen sink in there. :D

Having a bag on the backseat is not too bad. It gives back support. Ideal for longer trips.
Unfortunately not so much on the Innova, the petrol cap is under the seat and with a 3.5 litre tank you have to remove everything every 100 miles which can be a bit of a pain in the ass.
I also find it quite nice when travelling on my own to be able to leave the bike knowing everything is secure when I’m visiting castles/shopping/finding more cake 😉
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Very nice setup
So much luggage space on that bike.
And still nothing on the back seat

Real touring bike.
Let's hope for good weather and a proper test tour
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Godspeed wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:01 pm I’ve been looking for something a little larger for my side panniers for my Innova. My last trip down to the Pyrenees and then to the Picos area resulted in me carrying a fairly large bag on the back seat which for my type of travelling isn’t ideal.
IMG_8846.jpeg
I found a good deal on eBay with a chap selling off a pair of pretty brand new Givi trekker panniers so thought I’d go for it.
They’re really nice, you can open them up fully or just the top section which is handy for quick access items and they’re not too wide, but I can fit my tent, mat, sleeping bag, stove and more in just one pannier.
Role on some better weather to test them out properly…
IMG_1950.jpeg
Would it not be easier to buy a big case and fit engine wheels to it :lol:
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Snaf MKII wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:17 pm
Godspeed wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:01 pm I’ve been looking for something a little larger for my side panniers for my Innova. My last trip down to the Pyrenees and then to the Picos area resulted in me carrying a fairly large bag on the back seat which for my type of travelling isn’t ideal.
IMG_8846.jpeg
I found a good deal on eBay with a chap selling off a pair of pretty brand new Givi trekker panniers so thought I’d go for it.
They’re really nice, you can open them up fully or just the top section which is handy for quick access items and they’re not too wide, but I can fit my tent, mat, sleeping bag, stove and more in just one pannier.
Role on some better weather to test them out properly…
IMG_1950.jpeg
Would it not be easier to buy a big case and fit engine wheels to it :lol:
Yeh, true dat 😂😂
It might actually be faster too…..
Now you’ve got me thinking if I can take the bike apart and put it in its own luggage 🤦🏼
The Meandering Moustache

ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Magnusson wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:26 pm You could probably fit a kitchen sink in there. :D

I used a 40 liters bag on the back seat. On my SA trip.
It was used for things that I needed to carry into a hotel room. Clothes, valuable things......
It was a very practical model.
And no visible wear after 2 months of daily use

https://www.motea.com/en/motorbike-tail ... l-204986-0
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Thought I’d spend some quality time in the garage over the past couple of days and ‘adapted’ a set of Givi frames to fit my PCX.
I need to get a little welding done but it will enable me to fit 45 litres in the top box. 22 litres on each side and 30 litres under the seat. That’s 120 litres!! Should be enough for any longer adventures 👍
IMG_1981.jpeg
IMG_1981.jpeg (211.27 KiB) Viewed 372 times
The Meandering Moustache

ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Plus a pizzza delivery top case.
It will add another 40-50 liters.
You will have no lack of space.

Springs is approaching.
Long touring plans ?
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

In May I’m planning a long week riding down to Bardonecchia and then a couple of days off-road riding on my Innova. Just hoping for some good weather 👍

Got a few weeks to do something else… maybe Poland on the PCX later in the year.

And you Erik?
The Meandering Moustache

ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Mybe wrong plays to publish but....

I have had Andalusien and Pyrenees+ Picos in my plans for some time. But I will try to make it short.
On the way to Picos last year, the bikes ignition system gave up when it was raining =>I just turned back
When the problem was solved, it was to late for Pyrenees. So I planned for a two week trip to Andalusia.
But a set of appointments with doctors took time. So I did not have time to do it before South America.

I have arthorsis in both my knees. The plan was to use next winter period for surgery and recovery.
Start surgery i September. No riding. But when I returned from SA, the doctor had left the hospital and none wanted to take over his commitments.
I am currently in a fight with my health insurance company, that do not want to pay for this. It takes all me effort at the moment.
So I do not know if and when I will have any knees to ride with. The waiting time in public health care system is years.
But I would like to do Andalusia in end April, early May. Before going to Sweden over summer time.
Maybe the final ride.

Before I left for SA, the front sprocket came lose on the Honda, And the chain destroyed the crank case....

Now when I am back:
The Beneili had another problem. It was leaking fuel when standing still. And running very rich when started up. I found that there is tube going from the tank to a canister. To take care of fuel vapor. But is was not vapor coming that way. It was liquid fuel.
I just plugged that tube, And let the vapour goes out in the air, another way

The ignition problem came back. This time I have solved it better. A "canal" from the bottom of the hole around the spark plug, so water can get drained. If it comes in. I changed Spark plug cap. And used a lot of high temp silicone to improve the sealing where the high tension cable from the spark plug enters the engine. Job is just done. I have tested in the garage with spraying water over the engine. And all is fine, I need to put everything back and make some test runs.

The Benelli is the machine that I wanted for riding the hills. 165 kg. Full set of Alu panniers. Perfect travel bike for slowly traveling. And I Iove the behavior. But to have a 4 years old bike with that has done 13 000 km (3 years and 7 000 km) when I bought it. That makes problems all the time, And I do not thrust. I am close to giving up. Functionality perfect. Reliability bad. And I see when I am working on the bike, What type of components they have used and how it is build. It is not about production quality but design quality. And it is supposed to be designed in Italy. But an early model built as cheap as possible. (But I am most used to bullet proof bikes type Suzuki GSX from 80-ties). Built the Benelli is built like a toy

I would like to give it a chance to Andalusia. But I am leaving Portugal, May 10th, So it is a short time window,
Maybe no chance for this

What happens after summer depends on the health care system,. I would like to use next winter period for surgery and recovery.
Than I do not need any bike at all and can't do any travel.

If I end up in a queue to the hospital. Maybe my knees can do some trip. Maybe not.
Than I will probably give up the try to go really small. And return to Himalayan.
People are in two opposite groups about the Himalayan.
But I have used one for 31 000 km under hard conditions. And for me it is a wonderful travel bike.
Others read the spec sheet. Under power, too heavy, =A useless

My dream is to one day ride to Mount Everest Base camp on the Tibet side.
That would be on a Yamaha 250 cc

And before that
- Picos
- Pyrenees
- Andalusien
=

So a lot of plans and ideas
Time is not problem since I am retired.
Money I have to travel, since I live an easy and sober life in a small and cheap apartment.

But the health and the health care system is outside of what I can impact.

So there is a risk that the SA trip was the end.
But at least I could do my dream trip before hanging up my boots.

For now the health care takes all my mind. And travel plans...??

/Erik
Attachments
Alper Pyreneer och Picos.jpg
Alper Pyreneer och Picos.jpg (60.8 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Andalusien Road Book.jpg
Andalusien Road Book.jpg (88.56 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Andalusien GPS.jpg
Andalusien GPS.jpg (112.92 KiB) Viewed 343 times

Return to “BIKES”