Scotland to Portugal 2019

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bikenav

Re: Scotland to Portugal 2019

Post by bikenav » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:16 pm

First My question to you where have you been previously and where are you likely to go on a next trip? Concentrate then on an area en route that you have not been before or not likely to go again soon. How many days would be ideal, Which crossings, How much trail stuff?
1540243373023.jpg
1540243373023.jpg (27.14 KiB) Viewed 72 times
One from this year

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Bart1

Post by Bart1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:24 pm

Re ferry costs to Spain, I would suggest to look at what it costs to ride down through France to include fuel, accommodation, wear on tyres/bike etc, ferry from UK to France as well. I've always found the difference to be relatively small and the ferry gives the benefit of arriving in Spain with a fresh bike, tyres, body and mind......IMHO

herman

Post by herman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Bart1 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:24 pm
Re ferry costs to Spain, I would suggest to look at what it costs to ride down through France to include fuel, accommodation, wear on tyres/bike etc, ferry from UK to France as well. I've always found the difference to be relatively small and the ferry gives the benefit of arriving in Spain with a fresh bike, tyres, body and mind......IMHO
You are absolutely right in every respect unless like me you dislike the abject boredom that sets in ten minutes after leaving port. I get motion sickness if I read on any form of transport including planes- go figure- :oops: I therefore prefer to overland as much as possible and its a good excuse to prolong a trip. :D
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Peirre

Post by Peirre » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:48 pm

I heartily recommend riding the N2 (Estrada national 2) thru Portugal South from Chaves (km 0) to Faro (Km 574), a very historic route and passes some amazing scenery, inc the geographic centre of Portugal. There’s a Portuguese language guide book that details the N2 with specific Km by Km info of sights, accommodation, hostalrys and much more. I have a copy at home http://www.fogecomigo.pt/site/index.php ... nacional-2
The Sierre de Estrela and Manteigas are also worthy of visiting, the highest point in Portugal (1700m) is in the Estrela and is also known as the Portuguese “Stelvio”. A side trip to down the Douro valley or towards Lisboa and setubal will set you up for the short ferry to the Troia peninsular and a ride down the N261/N120 Atlantic coast road to the Sagres peninsula and east towards the Algarve. I could go on and on about Portugal and have ridden all of the roads mentioned above.

Return to “TRAVEL”