Wr450f

The Things We Ride
herman

Re: Wr450f

Post by herman »

As said try and go for the FI model and certainly the newer ones you can virtually remap them to suit your needs. Well built too . Check air box for oil as that's where it gets dumped when the top end is tired. My choice would be the 500 exc but then I have orange blood.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

herman wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:43 pm As said try and go for the FI model and certainly the newer ones you can virtually remap them to suit your needs. Well built too . Check air box for oil as that's where it gets dumped when the top end is tired. My choice would be the 500 exc but then I have orange blood.
Thanks Allen I'm thinking whichever one I go for 450 tops as I have my xt660 and ttr250 so middle of those two and light as possible , I like Yamaha bikes so leaning that way but might get try a KTM !!
MudFing

Post by MudFing »

If it's any interest to you Bob, I have a reiju 450 marathon sitting in the garage that I'd like to sell - it has the wr450f motor but you get talon hubs, excel wheels, marzocchi forks etc. Bike itself could use an overhaul but the mileage on the engine is low. It is one of many projects that sadly I dont think I'll ever get around to. I had dreams of a full rally fairing/big tanks etc - the nice thing is the rest of the bikes spec is top notch. :D
beany

Post by beany »

good thread bob was thinking the same thing, maybe to upgrade my drz.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

beany wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 pm good thread bob was thinking the same thing, maybe to upgrade my drz.
Well I sold my DRZ , as much as I liked it it was abit heavy and I've been riding my ttrs most of the time , I just like the look of the Wr 450f and the later one with the aluminium frame seems to be good spec bike for the sort of base bike I'm looking to work with , you can get comfort seats and bigger fuel tanks , watch this space , ;)
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

the ali frame is no lighter or better . large fuel tanks are good but weight the front . gear box is a bit of a weak link for long road work . ask mick sea on here, he loves them .
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Really interested in this, been after an x challenge for a while, but there like rocking horse pooh.....wrf certainly could be an option.... ;)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

chunky butt wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:29 pm Really interested in this, been after an x challenge for a while, but there like rocking horse pooh.....wrf certainly could be an option.... ;)
We would only need one set of spares between us then steve ;)
micksea

Post by micksea »

Good solid bikes.tall seat height.loads of parts available.minimum maintenance for an enduro bike.forget the nonsense about "only" five gears,fifth gear is about the same ratio as sixth gear on other bikes,sprockets and the left foot lever will get the speed/revs wherever you need them.
micksea

Post by micksea »

The only spares you will need are air filters and oil filters,I use hiflo for both.i buy oil filters in packs of 10 off eBay for about 26 quid.ive run the bike for two weeks at the HISS and the oil came out same colour as it went in.changed the air filter every third day.i grease the head,linkage and wheel bearings every year and change the spark plug.its never failed to start but doesn't like stale fuel.i checked and swapped a couple of shims when I got the bike in 2012,checked em a couple of weeks ago,no change.

Return to “BIKES”