GP450.......It's mine !!!!!!!

The Things We Ride
boboneleg

Re: GP450.......It's mine !!!!!!!

Post by boboneleg »

Congrats Sarge, I hope it serves you well (thumbs)
one-legged adventurer
roberteagle6

Post by roberteagle6 »

Hi Sarge, I don't think we've met but I got my CCM in Jan - very pleased. I will be at the Devon/Exmoor meet so will be interested to chat, the fuelling did get to be a problem (kangaroo stuff) and after some haggling with CCM they had a good look at it and I believe fitted a new or different plug - now runs much better. The other thing is fuel range, the reserve light only gives you about 15mls before you are pushing ! As I understand it, the tanks hold 20ltrs but only 18ltrs are usable i.e the rest is sloshing around in various places and can't make its way to the fuel injection.
I discussed tyres with Minky and fitted Army644 on the front and Mitas E09 Dakar on rear, I weigh in at around 10.25 stone (not sure if my weight is relevant) but did have some problems with tank slapping at 70/75mph. This became worse when fully loaded (using CCM panniers) weight seemed a bit too high, adjusted this and it improved. After squaring the tyres off a bit, it settled down but couldn't get above 80 comfortable. Have just fitted new Heidenau rear, will let you know how it goes when we meet.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Do you guys use std plugs or the better ones and do you use std 95 or 98 octane fuel?...

We find previous ccm modelsnrun better on 98 and twin electrode plugs....just a idal thought..

I do follow thw adv thread with interest...good inputs from folks without bickering lol..
magwych

Post by magwych »

roberteagle6 wrote:Hi Sarge, I don't think we've met but I got my CCM in Jan - very pleased. I will be at the Devon/Exmoor meet so will be interested to chat, the fuelling did get to be a problem (kangaroo stuff) and after some haggling with CCM they had a good look at it and I believe fitted a new or different plug - now runs much better. The other thing is fuel range, the reserve light only gives you about 15mls before you are pushing ! As I understand it, the tanks hold 20ltrs but only 18ltrs are usable i.e the rest is sloshing around in various places and can't make its way to the fuel injection.
I discussed tyres with Minky and fitted Army644 on the front and Mitas E09 Dakar on rear, I weigh in at around 10.25 stone (not sure if my weight is relevant) but did have some problems with tank slapping at 70/75mph. This became worse when fully loaded (using CCM panniers) weight seemed a bit too high, adjusted this and it improved. After squaring the tyres off a bit, it settled down but couldn't get above 80 comfortable. Have just fitted new Heidenau rear, will let you know how it goes when we meet.
I really did not like the Mitas 644 on the front, weaved at speed and unstable on white lines.
Then I remembered that they only come in 100/90 size, instead of 90/90. So I lowered the yokes 5mm down the forks to compensate for the larger tyre diameter. Problem solved!

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Nice one Sarge

I've just had over a week riding the DRZ in the Pyrenees and went out on the Africa Twin

Wished I was back on the DRZ
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Great stuff mate , it still amazes me that the big 4 haven't got into this corner of the market
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Health to enjoy
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:Great stuff mate , it still amazes me that the big 4 haven't got into this corner of the market

Low volume sales most likely....suits ccm fine ...they aint sold many except uk home market...most owners seem to be older riders so need/want a lighter bike with all the bits added...

They cant be assed converting what is already around from honda and yamaha after all the ccm uses a basic bmw450 enduro engine...

Sorry for crashing the post ...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:Great stuff mate , it still amazes me that the big 4 haven't got into this corner of the market
KTM have the best opportunity to do so at a marketable price. They could use the 390 duke engine and build it in India. I'm surprised they haven't done so but if they did, it would use cheaper components than the GP450 for sure.

The emphasis is still on power and toys, with weight and fuel range being way down the list.

I'm getting increasingly turned off by the many test ride reports on new bikes banging on about electronic this and rider mode that. I can only assume that these things have a greater importance to new bike customers these days and take a higher priority than the qualities of the GP450 etc.

Jon
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

jonny955 wrote:
KTM have the best opportunity to do so at a marketable price. They could use the 390 duke engine and build it in India. I'm surprised they haven't done so but if they did, it would use cheaper components than the GP450 for sure.

The emphasis is still on power and toys, with weight and fuel range being way down the list.

I'm getting increasingly turned off by the many test ride reports on new bikes banging on about electronic this and rider mode that. I can only assume that these things have a greater importance to new bike customers these days and take a higher priority than the qualities of the GP450 etc.

Jon
Jon,
Apart from tne fuel injection the ride experience so far feels pretty connected. I hate unnecessary gadgets and gizmos that essentially will fail when you least want them too. Its early days yet, but I am done with bigger heavy adventure bikes now, an old back injury ( L3,4,5 broken vertebrae) put pay to that, and riding lighter at lower speeds is so much more enjoyable for me. Donks and big single riding is all I need now, if the big 4 concentrated on a simple solution low tech Bike, I have no doubt they would sell :pinch:

Return to “BIKES”