Moving near Newcastle. ..

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Lord Vader

Moving near Newcastle. ..

Post by Lord Vader »

Hi guys
My wife and I are planning to move up north. We are looking near the Newcastle area or more to the north of it.
I been looking at 2 bedroom houses near Blyth and Ashington. Would anyone on here know which areas to avoid or could give us some tips on where to look?
We are looking sometime in the first half of next year
Cheers guys
I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
Mosel Bikes

Re: Moving near Newcastle. ..

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Yes, me. I was born in Ashington and know it, Blyth and all the areas around very well, having lived over 50 years there. Probably better to pm me about particular places, as like all towns, they have their good and bad, but areas within them can be very bad. There are areas to avoid in Ashington, Blyth and most other towns surrounding, unless you want to immerse yourself in all aspects of life there.
Morpeth probably has less areas to avoid, being the county town and a bit more, dare I say, upmarket, but you will pay a premium for it, with house prices/rental 10% or 20% higher, like for like. Some of the smaller villages are nice, quieter and far enough out so as not to attract those who want the 'benefits' (literal and other - drugs/noisy neighbours/chuck your garbage in the streets/dog crap everywhere type of thing).
There are also some small villages that have heritage and tradition, maybe one or two less savoury characters, but not so many as the towns, where access to the coast and country is better (on your doorstep) but are less popular, so prices are lower - Cambois and Lynemouth for example.
I could go on forever, in detail, but best to pm me for that. If you want to chat, just give me a landline number and I'll ring you. I'm in Germany (where we are part year) but have an international phone package, so it doesn't cost me any more.
I also have an apartment available for rent from Spring time should you be interested, two bedroom, quiet area, integral garage, nice neighbours.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
micksea

Post by micksea »

Contact spadger on this forum,he's from up that way and a great bloke.he's loaded too so could probably put you up for a few months in the West Wing of his house if you are stuck.don't wait for him to get a round in though otherwise you'll die of thirst :evil:
flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog »

Lord Vader wrote:Hi guys
My wife and I are planning to move up north. We are looking near the Newcastle area or more to the north of it.
I been looking at 2 bedroom houses near Blyth and Ashington. Would anyone on here know which areas to avoid or could give us some tips on where to look?
We are looking sometime in the first half of next year
Cheers guys
PM me, I moved to Gateshead 3 years ago. I go surfing up that coast from time to time and know it quite well but not like Mosel ok.....
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

You should have said Pete. I was born up there, admittedly though I did move when just 14. But I have been back many times as extended family still around up there, so see the area from both an external and a local POV, although the detail of individual locale's is a bit vague after all that time. The whole area has a healthy mix of housing estates, individual properties, and social (council) house estates some of which are horrendous places and you really need to avoid. It would be bleeding obvious if you made a visit - look for the boarded up windows, burnt out cars and piles of syringes.

Blyth IMHO is a faded industrial town, although I am sure there are good opportunities and up-coming places. Ashington was a full on mining town when I was up that way (Collieries long since closed) but cant comment now as its been a long time since I was there. Cramlington is in the area you are looking at and is mostly a "new town" (albeit from the 70s, when they built such things), so after Basildon you will feel right at home.

Tynemouth - Cullercoats - Whitley Bay - Seaton Sluice to the north of the River Tyne estuary is a nice stretch of coast with plenty of housing (Old and newish) and is where I came from, and with decent access into the industrial estates and development areas around the A19 north of the Tyne Tunnel. Although you could be in danger of exchanging one crappy commute for another (although what I hear of Debs commute, nothing could be worse).
Spadger

Post by Spadger »

Made me smile that :) , yea as Mick says message me , depends where your going to be working ? Also if you can cope with the accents , if you move to ashington you'll have to learn put r's in every word you use and Blyth'e good if you like heroin , seriously there's some nice places oop norf we just tell every body it's shitty and cold to keep the southerners away
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Thanks for the replys guys (thumbs)
Austin,sorry all this is sort of new.The basic plan always was to move up north but than life happened :dry:

As things are we are hoping to sell our rabbit hutch down here and pay off a few loans and manage to buy a 2 bedroom house up north cash B)
Deb has been offered a job she can do from anywhere in the country B) Which means i can do any old security or fork lift job. We where looking around the Newcastle area.I dont mind a commute on the bike so we can look at places up to 25 miles around it.
Being morgage free and still somewhere near Newcastle which i might need to pop over to Germany via boat or plane is the general idea. The only thing we really need is a little garden for our dog and space for a shed/garage. Close to the coast would be cool but inland near the penines would be B) B) too.
As i said before,no rush as i am just looking for info at the moment
I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Lord Vader wrote:Thanks for the replys guys (thumbs)
Austin,sorry all this is sort of new.The basic plan always was to move up north but than life happened :dry:
/quote]

Odd that - this was our plan back in about 1987 but some one or another property crash put paid to that.

I always fancied Alnmouth although I've never actually been there and withe the Brexit yoiu never know, we might have to move back to the UK! - so what's it like guys?

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
outrunner

Post by outrunner »

As things are we are hoping to sell our rabbit hutch down here and pay off a few loans and manage to buy a 2 bedroom house up north cash B)
Deb has been offered a job she can do from anywhere in the country B) Which means i can do any old security or fork lift job. We where looking around the Newcastle area.I dont mind a commute on the bike so we can look at places up to 25 miles around it.
Being morgage free and still somewhere near Newcastle which i might need to pop over to Germany via boat or plane is the general idea. The only thing we really need is a little garden for our dog and space for a shed/garage. Close to the coast would be cool but inland near the penines would be B) B) too.
Newcastle? why don't you do the right thing and move to Scotland Pete, you know you want to. :)

Andy.
Grumpy auld man.
micksea

Post by micksea »

outrunner wrote:

Newcastle? why don't you do the right thing and move to Scotland Pete, you know you want to. :)

Andy.
They won't let him in,he hasn't got an Irish passport :evil:

Will I burn for typing that?

Return to “THE PUB”