Trails

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
beddowsm

Trails

Post by beddowsm »

So, Im getting the feeling as the years are ticking by some peoples opinions are slowly changing as more and more trails close / become TRO. Or, people are finally admitting where they actually ride as opinions of others change.

So, where do you actually ride?

I should expand on the possible answers.

1) Only 100% legal - you will never venture off piste or off a legal track no matter what others do. You would rather not ride than break the law.

2) Venture off piste on legal trails if no sees me - So you ride legal trails but are happy to ride off piste if no one sees you or others are happily doing it in your group. Ride responsible but using your judgement may have a go up a slippery bank just to the side of a trail.

3) Use common sense and may venture on illegal routes - So you are normally a law abiding citizen but sometimes get fed up of trails closing....so occasionally may nip down a bridleway or up a footpath just to link legal bits together. Using common sense means doing this away from towns and villages and not around houses etc etc.

4) I ride where I god damn want. - you really don't give a damn, and will run people over if they don't get out of your way.

Feel free to discuss.
beddowsm

Re: Trails

Post by beddowsm »

Just to clarify, your name will appear under the poll stating you have voted, but you wont be able to see what you actually voted for..........
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

No.1 for me

There are plenty still to use, 50% of what I ride carries no other traffic and there is no other bike/4x4 usage

I have been there and done it, for 20++ years and ridden a lot of routes that are now closed

Like....

Dandra Garth
Foxup
Halton Gill
Arncliffe Cote
Highway (full length)
Mastiles
Walna Scar

and many, many more

I don't mourn their passing too much, that's life

They became over-used and had a lot of irresponsible users
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Number 1 for me though the part about I'd rather not ride than break the law doesn't fit. I won't intentionally ride on illegal trails but on the road the law is for guidance only :)

North Bedfordshire have steadily reduced the limit on a country road I used to rate as a favourite from NSL to 50, 40 and now it's a 30mph limit. Sod that, I slow near turnings or houses but otherwise it's 60mph again (thumbs)
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

It was going to be number 1 for me but then I remembered. On my ride today I did come across a disused BMX track. I pottered around some of the smaller obstacles before returning to the track and although this is a rare excursion "off piste" answer 2 it had to be.
Not all those wandering are lost
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Number one for me,i get enough stick even riding on legal trails and sticking to sensible speed and riding style and slowing or stopping for all walkers,horses etc.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Yep 1 and 2 .....but its easy here , tons of legal bits (thumbs)
kito

Post by kito »

I would only ever do number 1 because I'm so fookin PC yet I'll happily brag about needing a bike that cruises at at least 80mph
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

kito wrote:I would only ever do number 1 because I'm so fookin PC yet I'll happily brag about needing a bike that cruises at at least 80mph
Don't forget that speeding on the road only gets one rider in trouble, messing about off road can get routes closed to everyone.

I don't actually care any more because it's close to a year since I rode a bike on a byway. They're so short and boring where I live that it's hard to get the enthusiasm up to go near them then when I get there they've been chewed up by 4x4 big wheel monsters and I lose what little interest I had. I'll defend the rights of 4x4 owners to go off road but when they arrange a meeting and 15 or 20 of them go backwards and forwards over a 2 mile stretch it's no wonder the council say it's in bad condition and apply for a TRO.
kito

Post by kito »

Don't forget that speeding on the road only gets one rider in trouble, messing about off road can get routes closed to everyone.

Not if they are legal lanes

Return to “THE PUB”