Quick erect tents...anyone use one?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Big Yellow Tractor

Re: Quick erect tents...anyone use one?

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

I've got a Khyam Igloo which I use if car camping or on roads on the bike. It pitches and strikes in a couple of minutes but is bulky and heavy. It has been superbly waterproof and isn't bothered by strong wind. For trailriding / touring I use a Marmot Limelight it pitches pretty quick and is light and small.
If it's raining when we arrive at a site, I put up a basha/tarp. It gives us somewhere dry to unload the bikes and get our sh1t together. I can pitch my Limelight under it then move it into position and peg it down.
KTM Deano

Post by KTM Deano »

I've had a couple of Khyam's in the past and found them great. In fact I've been looking at getting an Igloo or Highlander but they look very similar. Any recommendations which is better?
Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

Been using a Slummit Cub 2 for a few years, just the pack size lets it down.
Suzuki DL650 (Wee) with many nice mods ..

Yamaha XT660Z Tenere also modded ..

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/

http://www.adventurebikers.net/forum/index.php
RH_SCOTLAND

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

I've had my Khyam Igloo for years now. Never let me down.

Bit big and bulky but that's never been a problem on the bike or Landie.

I have been looking at a Khyam Freelander, because you can stand up in the porch. Not that much bigger than the Igloo packed but getting on a bit weight wise.

Rate the Khyam very highly though. Super quick to erect or take down in the shitty weather.

Advantage of the Slummit Gobi (copy of the Igloo) is that it has a ground sheet that covers the floor of the porch, the Khyam doesn't. But the Slummit porch poles aren't quick erect where the Khyam porch poles are.

If I was replacing the Igloo, I would probably go for a Slummit Gobi for the porch floor.
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
-Ralph-

Quick erect tents...anyone use one?

Post by -Ralph- »

My family tent, an 8 man tunnel is a Khyam. This summer it's endured some thunderstorms and wind which had it rocking back and forth on its poles and literally sheets of water running down its sides, from the inside looked like buckets being thrown at it. It also did 2 weeks in Jersey where it rained so much cars were getting stuck on the campsite. It's never leaked a drop. However bad the weather gets I sleep sound, safe in the knowledge the tent is not going to let me or my family down.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

I use a Vaude Mk111,
It has an exterior Ali pole frame, from which you hang the tent on bungee cord and clips. I can't stand threading poles through sleeves.

Three minutes to put up, 3kgs weight and small pack size. Waterproof and wind proof, 7 years old still working well
But expensive.
Tried a Khyam once, found it too bulky and heavy.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Oh yes, if you go for a Khyam, get a basesheet at the same time to protect the built in groundsheet on less than perfect campsites. The purpose made sheet wrap around the tent perfectly when packing, and it all fits in the tote bag.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Womble wrote:There's Khyams and Khyams; the Biker is great, had mine for years, but as others have said, big pack size and weight, but a big, robust tent, but doesn't go up as fast as a highlander or igloo. Depends how important set up speed is too you.
The Biker is a great roomy tent for 1/2 people and perfect if stopping at one place for a day or 3.

I can't be doing with these tiny things, no room for gear etc. A good porch (on any tent) is also worth having to leave wet gear away from the sleeping area.
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

Me and a mate bought Slummit tents a couple of years ago and I used it a few times. It was roomy (it was the 3 man one) and quick to put up and down. Not as quick as the video but quicker than a normal tent.
However in April this year we did the NC500 and camped in Lochinver and both our tents collapsed in the night. The hinges on the poles have no locking mechanism and they both collapsed on the wind side. My mate got up in the middle of the night and used a couple of legs off his bed to tie around the hinges to stop them collapsing in on themselves.
I got up and threw my tent in the bin on the campsite as I'd had a shit nights sleep.
It packs down very large but to be fair in good weather its an easy tent to erect, good size and very water proof. Just don't use it in a moderately high wind.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

You guys are all over thinking the "tent"...take Durham Daves lead..go for a pop up...festival tent! http://shaw2shore.co.uk/video-gallery/#bwg2/7 ....skip to 2.15 to appreciate fully the genius and thriftiness in equal measure ;-).... WTF!!!

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”