Open face helmets

Does my ass look big in these?
macvisual

Open face helmets

Post by macvisual »

Anyone ride with an open face helmet? I quite fancy one for riding my V-Strom, not sure regards decent makes/models..?

How would they fair in a crash against a full face helmet I wonder?
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Peirre

Re: Open face helmets

Post by Peirre »

I'll occasionally carry an open faced helmet when I'm touring abroard, & use it when I'm bimbling around
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I use a Davida quite often when I'm riding.... It'd be rubbish for the bottom half of your face if you end up sliding on it. But what I do like is using it off-road - I think it gives you a real connection with the people you meet, and it's easier to have a chat with people as they pass. Also, doesn't get too hot.
Beware of brambles though - mighty dangerous.

I've used it on my 125cc tours, but probably wouldn't on any bigger road rides due to the safety aspect.

It's also useful for others to be able to recognise it's me, like Bob and Phil as I was passing on the way to the rally.

Cheers

Chris
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

I've just done Mt Jafferau and the Route De Grande Alps. Wearing a Shark flip front lid.
99% of the time it was chin bar up.
I've just ordered a Shoei J Cruise.....tried one on. Sooooooo comfortable. The visor comes down as far as a chin guard, so I can't see it causing any issues. Very good sun visor, and as I said very very comfortable.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

exrm193 wrote:I've just done Mt Jafferau and the Route De Grande Alps. Wearing a Shark flip front lid.
99% of the time it was chin bar up.
I've just ordered a Shoei J Cruise.....tried one on. Sooooooo comfortable. The visor comes down as far as a chin guard, so I can't see it causing any issues. Very good sun visor, and as I said very very comfortable.
Just checked the price of the Shoei J Cruise lids, not cheap at around £350, ouch....
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Roadsey

Post by Roadsey »

Be wary, its taken me over 2 years, and a lot of beer tokens (and some pain) to sort my 4 top front teeth after an off wearing an open face helmet, although I still wear a Bell open face for bimbling about on my BSA Victor.
Trev

Post by Trev »

I use Bultaco branded open face on the Enfield and am trying the Shark Evoline 3. The Shark is pretty good with chin bar flipped back but think in the end I will stick with either full face or true open face when pottering. My wife (pillion use only) uses a Evoline 3 as her only helmet preferring to use it with chin bar up as much as possible.
I of course feel more vulnerable (I am) with the open face but am prepared to trade this off for better visibility and comfort on my slower rides.
After spending over £230 for the other half's Evoline 3 at the beginning of last year I picked up mine at the NEC bike show together with the Bultaco open face for £150 the pair!
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

I've a Davida jet which I loved but after my off in France three weeks ago I will stick to full face from here in as if I haddent been wearing my AGV compactin the closed position I wouldn't be leaving this message now from my hospital bed (thumbs)
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I'd rather just remove the visor from my full face helmet if it's really hot and wear a pair of £4 tinted safety specs.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Open face helmet. Yep, nice and cool.

Go for it, providing you don't mind getting your face busted up if you ever hit the deck or and other immoveable obstacle, also braches and brambles can be a right sod as they whip across your face. A thorny bramble branch cutting across you face is always good for a laugh.

Seriously mate. forget it. Used to compete and ride with an open faced helmet years ago.
That's why I have a bridge across my front teeth and a seriously rebuilt nose. I don't mean just a bit broke, I mean seriously mashed as well as some other facial damage. I was lucky to keep my eyes intact, they were glued up with the dried blood and took a while to get open once I regained consciousness. Also some sod came along and painted me practically from head to toe with ketchup while I was having a kip.

Yep, nice and cool though. Go for it.:laugh:

PS, Anybody else go any more daft ideas?

Return to “CLOTHING”