XT600 leccy bleurgh

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mawsley

XT600 leccy bleurgh

Post by Mawsley »

Predictably, with just a week to go to camp - and the sun coming out - the XT went pffft in Milton Keynes.

First thoughts are that it's nothing more than a regulator/rectifier issue (and one is arriving tomorrow) - but I'm wondering.

Had the battery on charge for a couple of hours this evening, lights and horn are working once more, but pressing the starter button produces nothing but the noise it would make if the engine were running. And the engine is definitely not running.

Could it be that the battery still has insufficient charge to turn it over or could it be indicative of another problem?

I didn't take a pot diff reading across the terminals tonight, I'll do that tomorrow when I'm not as tired. I'll stick it on for another couple of hours charge in the morning too.

Any ideas welcome :)
Africa Twin
Heff

Re: XT600 leccy bleurgh

Post by Heff »

Sounds like a knackered battery to me :blink:
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
akceller8

Post by akceller8 »

I'd suggest a new battery too!

Sounds like just what happened with my XT600. All the lights worked but there was there wasn't enough oumph in the battery to start it. Once jump started from a booster-pack (never ever managed to bump start it) it would run fine, as long as i didn't stall.
I changed the changed the reg/rec with no change before I chucked another battery in it, and now it works fine. Hopefully it passes it's MOT tomorrow for the weekend camp.
Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time!!
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

With out stating the obious what are the battery voltage readings.?...then check after 8 hours with a small load to test battery condition..all a reguoator rectifire does is covert voltage and regulate battery charge.so unless battery is boiling due to regulator why spend money on a waste ...

My batterys just gone too....
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

If you can jump it and get it started, you could check the battery voltage then (whilst running and connected up normally - jump leads disconnected) and see what you get from the reg/rec. It needs to be around 13.5 to 14 volts. Much more will fry a battery, under 12 volts will not charge a battery.

If it is outside these parameters then you reg/rec is at fault.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

just about to pay for my new rec/reg

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

On Sunday it was about 12.7V standing, dropping to 3-4V under load (when horn button pressed).

Thank you for the responses :)
Africa Twin
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

Yep - it had less life than a pet rock. Got the XT fired up jumping it from the car, so happy days.

Off to Halfords to grab a new one. Return to Halfords as their website suggested the wrong model. Back to Halfords a third time after I discovered my charger was equally as dead. :laugh:
Africa Twin
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

If your replacing the battery, try a jell battery such as Motobatt as that they have a better cold crank (thumbs)
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

Stewie wrote:If your replacing the battery, try a jell battery such as Motobatt as that they have a better cold crank (thumbs)
Had to take what I could get today as I'm up against the clock to get it running for the weekend. I'll be grabbing a better battery once I return home.
Africa Twin

Return to “TECHNICAL”