BIG scooters

The Things We Ride
macvisual

BIG scooters

Post by macvisual »

Anyone here own/ride a BIG scooter as their main bike or second bike..? Something like a Suzuki Burgman 400cc/650cc, or the Yamaha TMAX 500cc..?

Would like to hear your views/day to day riding experience please.

Thanx;
Pete

p.s.
I test rode a 400cc Burgman a few years ago and was amazed how quick it was for a scooter, a bit lardy/vague on the rear end but enjoyed the twist n' go experience.
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
SteveW

Re: BIG scooters

Post by SteveW »

I've had a few 125-250 scooters plus a X9 500cc Piaggio as second bikes. The storage available is very handy and they have good weather protection. I never felt the need to get all dressed up with bike gear if I was just nipping out on an errand. So I just wheeled it out of the garage and jumped on.
They are great in town, due to being automatic and the 250 and especially the X9 (with special mention to a Gilera 180) can more than hold their own in the traffic light GP.
In 2007 I had an operation on my right knee and I found that for about three years I couldn't bend my knee comfortably to enable me to ride a bike, gradually it's improved and it's no longer a problem.
During this period I bought a Gilera GP830 scooter as my main bike. A V twin 850cc beast of a scooter. It did a genuine 130mph and would cruise at the ton. It's was so easy to launch from a standstill that not much on four wheels could get near it, I think it was 6 seconds 0-60. It felt different to a bike, but it handled very well once you'd got used to it. Anyone who's ridden the twisty roads of Italy can probably testify that the locals can really hustle their 400cc scooters.
I went to Bulgaria on that Gilera and really it was fantastic. As my leg improved I bought a HD Fat Bob with forward controls, but that Gilera was a better touring bike. Finally my leg improved and normal service resumed.
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

Rented 400 in italy last year hated every minute of it...I have a piaggio 125 fine for nipping about.fast enough and a traffic beater...but not much fun
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

motorbike wrote:Rented 400 in italy last year hated every minute of it...I have a piaggio 125 fine for nipping about.fast enough and a traffic beater...but not much fun
Interesting, could you expand on your thoughts on the 400?
I rented a Chinese 125 and took my son (19yrs old) on the back when we stopped for three days in our camper in St Tropez.....it was ideal for nipping through gridlocked traffic and getting round the tight streets, we loved it.
Alun

Post by Alun »

The industry is starting to view big scoots as the last tango for the aging adventure bike rider who's approaching the point where he can't swing a leg over a high saddle. They may have a point.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Alun wrote:The industry is starting to view big scoots as the last tango for the aging adventure bike rider who's approaching the point where he can't swing a leg over a high saddle. They may have a point.
The Nissan Micra of the bike world?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Alun wrote:The industry is starting to view big scoots as the last tango for the aging adventure bike rider who's approaching the point where he can't swing a leg over a high saddle. They may have a point.
A few years ago, I had a knee problem which prevented me riding a conventional bike as I could not have the knee bent for extended periods of time, still can't , but not as bad as it used to be and I can engineer out the position on some bikes!

However, I could not face a cruiser, and in a fit of madness went and bought a Honda Silverwing 600 maxiscoot. To be honest, I was gobsmacked at how good it was in so many ways. Huge onboard capacity for junk, quick with a top whack of around 105-110, it would (and did) cruise at 85-90mph all day and with a big screen, weather protection was superb. Acceleration was impressive, not 600cc bike quick but never far behind. MPG depended hugely on the right hand, 60mpg was attainable, really nail it on a motorway for a long way and mid 30's were the norm!!

I toured it for two years with nary a beat missed. Good fun in the Alps and punchy enough to keep up with mid range bikes.... I had fitted sports rubber which helped (the Yanks fit car tyres for all their "slab" highway!!) which improved handling, but what it really needed was Hagon rear shocks to take out the banging that could occur on rough roads. The frame on the 'wing was conventional motorbike, a proper engine and swinging arm, NOT, an engine hanging off the rear wheel as someone once told me is on "All scooters"!

I am tempted to get another one before long to go with a trailie. Good to pop out for bits and no need to have waterproofs all the time. The T-max and big Gilera do appeal :)

I did miss changing gear, a lot! The complete lack of style of the Silverwing did offend the eye, but I did come to appreciate the beauty in the form...

I sold it to a guy in Glasgow who came down on the train to collect it having never ridden a maxiscoot before, he rode it back and still had it 2 years later and was doing big miles with it annually.
ratass

Post by ratass »

Maybe time to adventurise one :-).
Jon
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

ratass wrote:Maybe time to adventurise one :-).
Jon
Like this:

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/2016-h ... 1743185938
I've no idea how to add a signature.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/d ... y.1135964/

adventure scooter (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself