Bike Safe course

Post by vRSG60 »

Bike Safe course, who's done one?
I've got mine on Sunday.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
cozi70

Re: Bike Safe course

Post by cozi70 »

Me. I found it very worth while having a much more qualified rider follow me and discuss how I could improve on my positioning.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I've not done it..... I've come close to doing the IAM thingy, rung up a few times - but once got fecked off, cause my 650cc wasn't fast enough and I wouldn't keep up with them! :woohoo:

I've had to do a few advanced car driving courses over the years for work stuff - but never anything for bikes.

Was chatting to a guy at Williamson BMW the other week, and he was saying about going for an observed ride with him and what not - he was a decent enough bloke, but it felt a bit like I was about to be recruited / initiated into some sort of Masonic Club! Lol One minute we're chatting about bikes - the next minute its smugness personified & he's all about how he can improve my riding & maybe one day, if I work hard, and go along every month - be as good as him..... :sick:

Generally, when I've come across these guys, they've put me off doing it, and to me, many of them seem far too convinced that their skill set is phenomenal & that they are bullet proof - which frankly, worries me. There's not a scenario or a bike on this planet where you can have enough skills - and those who think they're great riders, (and are pretty 'Holier Than Though') creep me out a little bit.

That probably says far more about me, and having worked in NHS Trauma Teams for many years, resuscitating "Advanced Riders" who thought they were Police Pursuit Team Leaders - than them of course. :unsure:

Anyway mate - let us know how it goes, because the BikeSafe course really does appeal to me! (thumbs)

It looks more professional, more relevant and less masonic than the IAM club. :laugh:

(Apologies to any IAM Instructors - I can only say how its come across to me)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

done both bike safe was exelent (thumbs) done iam to , passed it by putting myself in for test , just to prove a point iam is good but to much politics , and my trousers were always dirty they didn't like that lol :whistle:
Philiptigerrice

:laugh:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
roberteagle6

Post by roberteagle6 »

Yep Bike Safe really good fun. I did it 2 to 1 police rider - really useful to see the other rider mistakes and watching the police road positioning and observation etc.
Followed it up with IAM - again well worthwhile.
IAM are very keen on "life savers" (looking over your shoulder) - I prefer to use my mirrors in most cases except on motorways/dual carriages.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

vRSG60 wrote:Bike Safe course, who's done one?
I've got mine on Sunday.
where are you doing it.and is it a course that will lower your insurance.cheers tony.
Philiptigerrice

I've just booked mine!!

You've inspired me mate! (thumbs)

Sept 18th, in Lancs :woohoo:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Well worth doing as is the IAM,( shame about their image though ) I was at the Ride-it-right this weekend and Met police who run BikeSafe London were also there, anyway they have a discount code RRG16 which will get you £20 off so just £25 for the Ride Safe course (thumbs)
www.bikesafe-london.co.uk
Philiptigerrice

I've booked my wife on it too! :blink:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”