EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
User avatar
Cone
Posts: 972
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:25 pm
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Cone » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm

garyboy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 pm
Will Andy give tennis the elbow
Less of this Brexit but thank god Murray has gone. Give him the prize for being the most boring sportsman on the face of this earth..

It may get worse, he may become a commentator!! :shock:

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
User avatar
Richard Simpson Mark II
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pm
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:18 pm

Ah, the great British sports hero dilemma.

Do you train hard, and grind out the victories knowing you will be seen a 'dull' world champ...or do you go all rock and roll and fill the pages of the tabloids?

Anyone remember Graham Noyce...GB's world MX champ?

Lived life 'to the full' shall we say...but only world champ once.

Then there was Dave Thorpe...I lost count of how many world championships he won. but there was never the fire there that you got with Noyce. Head down, elbows up, never looking back and never backing off. Back end of the bike all over the place (twinshock Maico or Red Rocket Honda), compared to Thorpe who would reel off lap after identical lap on a Prolink Honda that looked pretty much planted all the time.

When twinshock MX first became a thing, my brother got his old Maico out of the shed and did a few races. One of the first we went too, and blow me there was Noyce pulling his old HRC Red Rocket out of a van like its 1979 or something.

I went to watch practice, on this old-school type scrambles track, which was just tapes and posts in a lush grazing field still littered with cow pats. Springtime, early morning and soaking with dew.

And here comes Noyce, on his sighting lap, 'taking it steady'. Tips into a flat corner, no berm, no rut, no bare earth, just wet lush vegetation, and he's got the Red Rocket so far over the lefthand bar is buried in the grass.

Blimey....!

So that's how a world champ rides.

User avatar
Richard Simpson Mark II
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pm
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Cone wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm
garyboy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 pm
Will Andy give tennis the elbow
Less of this Brexit but thank god Murray has gone. Give him the prize for being the most boring sportsman on the face of this earth..

It may get worse, he may become a commentator!! :shock:
He'll get his hip op done, and then do Strictly!

daveuprite
Posts: 1403
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: Limousin France
Has thanked: 547 times
Been thanked: 668 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by daveuprite » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 pm

I guess he'll do adverts for mints...

User avatar
Brenhden
Posts: 5421
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 422 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Brenhden » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 pm

I just popped back and read the first few pages of this thread to see how we were all feeling pre referendum. It's amazing how far we haven't come. I wonder if we all knew back then how this would play out what we might have done differently.

Looks like another exciting week in parliament coming up!
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Honda CRF250 Rally.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 604 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by garyboy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 am

.
Last edited by garyboy on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 am
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by DavidS » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 am

For the diversion...
I’d rather have dull but brilliant sportspersons. Why do you have to be a matinee idol to be good at sport, or anything, for that matter.
Might make the media stop filling us with repetitive drivel.
2017 Triumph Street Twin ; 2015 Husky FE450; 1967 Triumph Trophy.

User avatar
johnnyboxer
Posts: 6896
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 am
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by johnnyboxer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:50 am

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:18 pm
Ah, the great British sports hero dilemma.

Do you train hard, and grind out the victories knowing you will be seen a 'dull' world champ...or do you go all rock and roll and fill the pages of the tabloids?

Anyone remember Graham Noyce...GB's world MX champ?

Lived life 'to the full' shall we say...but only world champ once.

Then there was Dave Thorpe...I lost count of how many world championships he won. but there was never the fire there that you got with Noyce. Head down, elbows up, never looking back and never backing off. Back end of the bike all over the place (twinshock Maico or Red Rocket Honda), compared to Thorpe who would reel off lap after identical lap on a Prolink Honda that looked pretty much planted all the time.

When twinshock MX first became a thing, my brother got his old Maico out of the shed and did a few races. One of the first we went too, and blow me there was Noyce pulling his old HRC Red Rocket out of a van like its 1979 or something.

I went to watch practice, on this old-school type scrambles track, which was just tapes and posts in a lush grazing field still littered with cow pats. Springtime, early morning and soaking with dew.

And here comes Noyce, on his sighting lap, 'taking it steady'. Tips into a flat corner, no berm, no rut, no bare earth, just wet lush vegetation, and he's got the Red Rocket so far over the lefthand bar is buried in the grass.

Blimey....!

So that's how a world champ rides.
Thorpey won 3 World 500cc titles

However, 'Rolls' Noyce just won the one.................but he was a special rider, the Sheene or Hunt of the dirtbike world
We buy things we don't need



With money we don't have



To impress people we don't even like

User avatar
Cone
Posts: 972
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:25 pm
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Cone » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 am

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 pm
Cone wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm
garyboy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 pm
Will Andy give tennis the elbow
Less of this Brexit but thank god Murray has gone. Give him the prize for being the most boring sportsman on the face of this earth..

It may get worse, he may become a commentator!! :shock:
He'll get his hip op done, and then do Strictly!
‘‘Tis the way of the world

User avatar
AlanHolt
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:28 pm
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by AlanHolt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:43 pm

According to a report I read today, of the 52% who voted for brexit, 65% of those only voted for brexit to stop immigration. Knowing that immigration wouldn't be affected by Brexit, that means only 18.2% want to leave for other reasons, meaning 81.8% want to stay as we are.

Post Reply

Return to “THE PUB”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlanHolt and 70 guests