Ktm 690r Husky 701

The Things We Ride
GB

Ktm 690r Husky 701

Post by GB »

From reading various threads these bikes seem very similar. Now I've had my xchallenge for nearly a year now and I'm loving having a light bike after 3 big GS's But I would like more power, now on paper both these bikes have more power and similar weight to my challenge, but are they reliable? I've had BMs now with no major issues and cheap running costs, I hate paying people to service my bikes and the GSs are easy to service at home. What could I expect from KTM or Husky ownership.?
Finally back on a GS :D
Mike54

Re: Ktm 690r Husky 701

Post by Mike54 »

The husky is wearing a slightly different dress but the knickers are the same as the 690, they are mechanically identical.

From before 2014 690's have had some very well documented reliability issues which I don't think need mentioning here, MY14 onwards seem to be ok. I think it depends on what you want to do with one as to whether its worth buying one. They are not motorway bikes, they are not lightweight dirt bikes..
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Where do you need more power...? If for the road surely its more enjoyable waiting that few seconds more to arrive.

I rate them x challenge over a ktm anyday...for middlea age guys ...

Why dont you get a potski special ktm built aka adv...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Never been on a KTM 690 before but I heard that the gearbox spacing is quite narrow. (a totall difference to the BMW 5 speed box)
I'm working on a bit more power for the X bikes but I waiting for a specific part at the moment.
Once I got that it's off to the dyno for a comparison and maybe some more modification.
Might be another couple of weeks though so don't buy that KTM/Husqvarna just jet :lol:
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
GB

Post by GB »

Thanks Dutch, I have had mine remapped which made a massive difference, not at the top but huge at the bottom end. I wait in anticipation. But I also like the look of the husky, better range as well, 9 litres is fine for commuting but not much else.
GB

Post by GB »

I do need a light bike, since having my shoulder and upper humerous replaced I could never man handle a 250kg bike, maybe in a few years time but its unlikely.
No one likes motorway work but there are times when its a means to an end to get to where the good stuff is as quickly as possible.
So heres the thing, this is what I need;

Weight, under 170kg
The capability to cruise at 90mph fully laden, but no pillion.
Good fuel economy when ridden carefully.
Decent service intervals, not in ruddy hours!
Easy basic servicing.
Alternator big enough to power heated jacket and gloves and a sat nav.
Half decent off road, not trf stuff but travel riding.
Decent range

The Husky and the 690 seem the only bikes that fit the bill, my Challenge does most of that but not all.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Im not stating the obvious but no knobbly tyre will survive that....compromise is needed...ride slower and have good tyres..or trailee van it down...

We have all.decided what wed like but what happens is another thing...

Your choice.
GB

Post by GB »

I dont want to be knee deep in mud Tramp, the K60s will stick that no problem and last a while.
KtmRy

Post by KtmRy »

Most say plus myself that the 690 gearbox is too long or at least the first couple. Over winter and for more slower technical stuff I drop a tooth on the front to shorten the gear range which is a lot better but not once on the open road, cruising at 90 on standard gearing will be a no no tho unless you go even longer than standard but then your compromising the narly stuff, mine was good with the standard gearing for cruising at 80 and was pretty good on hard trails but for really hard stuff 1 less on the front is what you want, bearing in mind what might be 1 persons view of really hard/easy stuff may not be others
GB

Post by GB »

I would say looking at your avatar your easy is my I'll watch you do it! I have to be careful what I attempt with my handicap. I have 1 tooth up on the challenge and it will sit at a genuine 80 all day and thats not even got 50 hp.

Return to “BIKES”