Are bikes going backwards?

Bikers and riding
bigfoot

Are bikes going backwards?

Post by bigfoot »

I read with interest the info on the new Africa Twin and the subsequent debate on tank range. This got me thinking (not about the AT in particular just about new bikes in general).

I think a lot of bikes now come with some amazing extras (abs being a prime example) but have we forgotten the basics?

Apologies if this has been covered before but in some ways the bikes of today are worse than the bikes of a few years ago.

New models now tend to chase more hp or more bulk and weight - lets be honest most of this is for macho reasons not because we need it. Every time you go out you see some poor bugger trying to lug their bike backwards out of a parking space.

This may also combine to the other point - poor mpg. Most new bikes get less mpg that either my Yamaha did in 1993 or my Suzuki in 2003. Surely less hp and weight for more mpg could be a good trade.

Then there is the servicing - some of the new bikes intervals mean if you did a decent amount of mileage in a year that could mean 2 rather expensive dealer services.

Lastly, I constantly hear people saying of there new bikes "at ? miles (usually not many) my bike has to go in for this check/service" and then quote some astronomical bill (I get inflation btw but we don't live in Zimbabwe!)

Thinking I'll hang on to the old girl as long as I can!

Queue the debate :)
OnHellas

Re: Are bikes going backwards?

Post by OnHellas »

Can't disagree with some of that.

However, forward planning would help most of the parking/lugging issues that you mention.
Plus, service intervals are mainly at 6000 miles. As little as 10 years ago Honda were at 4000 and Suzuki only 3500.

But the check/recall thing.........is a lot of that down to the modern blame and claim culture?
Or being a bit of a cynic, a way of getting us back to the showroom? :whistle:
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Also, can't help but think that when model lifecycle were longer a bike could be refined and perfected - there now seems to be a need to make lots of changes and often.

So, rushing them out may also be an issue
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

We are victims of our own desires, horsepower and new models sell.

How many times have you heard the 'when the new model comes out.......' , 'it really needs a bit more power' Statements from a rider.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

I do hear that a lot - but funnily enough the guys I ride with tend to say:

When the new model comes out - I hope I get more MPG
- I hope they get rid of that flat spot in the rev range
- I hope they sort that bloody ugly exhaust
- I hope it's cheaper lol
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

We have to have the flat spots and big exhausts, modern emissions laws etc.
MPG certainly seems to be a big topic, 20 years ago most riders seem to say 'I just put more petrol in when it needs it'
And doing 90 mph on a aerodynamic R1200GS Adventure with a pillion, 3 aluminium boxes with bags and tents sticking out is never going to be the way to huge MPG.

As for the price, it's never cheap enough for some.
To put in in perspective, the 1996 list price for a Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace was £9299 on the road.

Also, if you have a bike customised like my Triumph project from last year, it makes £8200 for a Yamaha Tracer an absolute bargain. Considering it's designed and built from scratch!!
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

when i was looking for an adventure bike i ideally wanted a ktm 950/990 but the fuel economy was the main reason why i never bought one. i'd had plenty of stick from owners who own them and ktm themselves just don't get it as i spoke to them at the nec before making my choice.
i thought about the gs800 bmw for a while as that had good mpg figures but the price of a second-hand one was more than the bike i picked in the end a xt660z. brilliant mpg and simple services that can be done at home due to screw and locknut valve adjustment. official service gap is 12k but valves can easily go twice that as there has been minimal movement in the gap when i checked them. its not a perfect bike as the suspension is very basic but it can cope with gentle off road use (but i dont get to do much of that - not as much as i intended anyway), so not all bikes are worse than the old ones. eer but i believe the old xt's pulled better with carbs!
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I know what you mean, just been into the BMW dealer at lunchtime

looking at the new 1200GS Adv, it's huge and full of gizmos

The only one to get immediately is the fully loaded one @ £15500, without luggage :ohmy:

If I want a basic one it's 6-8 weeks and nobody will want it, when it comes to sell it on, in the future....... as it has no gizmos :silly:

The F800GS Adv, looked a better deal :whistle:

So, we are a victim of our success, for sure (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
GreenT

Post by GreenT »

I think they have gone backwards in respect that its no longer a case of buy it, look after it, use as intended, don't worry about the mileage and sell without too much hassle.

The very bike you own could very well go backwards, just sitting in the garage, if we spend the best part of winter absorbing all that's thrown at us intending that we come out the other side convinced that we really need the new "must have" wares on offer.

Too long indoors without getting out and riding can be dangerous for the wallet :)
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Well my xt660z is just about to clock up 65k in miles - what hope do I have of selling that! Engine still runs like new but people nowadays don't expect you to rack up more than a few k a year.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”