XR400 is it any good ???

The Things We Ride
Kirky1298

XR400 is it any good ???

Post by Kirky1298 »

The reason I ask is that I've just swapped my 27yr old NX650 Dominator for one .
It's a 2003 model and looks fairly fresh as enduro bikes go. I've only had a quick ride but first impressions are as follows.
Jebus it's tall , like on stilts tall . I used to run a CR250 stroker and can't remember it being this tall .
It goes like shit off a shiny shovel, seriously , popping the front in 1st and 2nd just off the gas.
It starts ok on the kickstart . 2 kicks from cold and first kick when warm .
So, what's the scuttlebutt ???
Have I done the right thing ??
Will it fulfil my trail riding needs ??
KEITH640

Re: XR400 is it any good ???

Post by KEITH640 »

Good reliable bikes
Dependable
Make great green laners
If you are new to riding off road and you are a bit short in the leg then you quickly tire of kick starting it
When it's red hot and been on its side for a few minutes
Great bikes
Let down by the lack of electric boot

Hold their money well too
johnnyboxer

XR400 is it any good ???

Post by johnnyboxer »

Shite bikes & you have to kickstart them too :)

If you drop it, use the decompressor lever to clear the carb or just dump it in the hedge & walk home

Did I mention, heavy too :)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I like the look of them and I have an XR250r which I use out in Bulgaria. But.....the lack of an electric starter is an issue.
The solid reliability and simplicity of the XR's was the main reason I chose one to be left for months at a time at my place in Bulgaria.
I am actually doing something I never do....giving an opinion on a bike I've never ridden!
I guess if I imagine my 250, with a little bit more weight and a fair bit more grunt, that's quite a nice prospect.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

SteveW wrote:I like the look of them and I have an XR250r which I use out in Bulgaria. But.....the lack of an electric starter is an issue.
The solid reliability and simplicity of the XR's was the main reason I chose one to be left for months at a time at my place in Bulgaria.
I am actually doing something I never do....giving an opinion on a bike I've never ridden!
I guess if I imagine my 250, with a little bit more weight and a fair bit more grunt, that's quite a nice prospect.
Having owned and ridden both the 250 & 400, the 400 weighs not a lot more - but feels like it has lots more stomp

With money we don't have

Kirky1298

Post by Kirky1298 »

Just took it out for a shot offroad.
Holy shit Batman !!!!
What a bike. Pops wheelies off the throttle in 1-3 gear. Power slides with ease and is very light and nimble with amazing suspension compared to the Dommie.
I'm a happy bunny right now. (thumbs)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

It,ll be ace in the pyrenees ....so much low torque great for hills and bogs...you can get a electric kit as the army had theirs with electric start being woosys...check plug for richeness...as not sure what they are like in real hot mountain stuff...
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Tramp wrote:check plug for richeness...as not sure what they are like in real hot mountain stuff...
They'll be perfect (thumbs)

Just spent the evening in the garage, sorting my new one out

Fitted a new Honda rear mudguard and rear number plate holder to return it to 'stock' (why the feck do people remove it and put the number plate on the rear mudguard - pisses me right off :angry: )

Also greased the rear linkage and popped out the swingarm bolt to give it a good lubing, missus :whistle:

Luckily it popped right out, no bother (they can be a swine)

Also changed the gearing back to 15/45 with a stock Honda front sprocket (£29) and clip, so the front countershaft remains in good nick (cheaper than an engine split, to replaces the sprocket shaft)

Great bikes to work on (thumbs)

With money we don't have

daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Owned a variety of XR's for years, within the family we have gone through the whole range from XR80 through to the XR600. To be honest, they were all good.

Both the 250 and 400 great bikes, very tough and reliable. I always preferred riding a 250 with a 280 conversion fitted. Increases the power and still has the weight of the smaller bike. A good mod is to drop out the swinging arm and suspension link and fit grease nipples. The early models did have these fitted as standard. An occasional squirt of a waterproof grease and the suspension bearings will never wear out. Do be careful on the chain side as a badly located grease nipple can foul the chain.

Rode XR's many years ago in the Pyrenees, No problems and the bikes took a right good thrashing for a week with no problems at all. (thumbs)
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

I was going through some folders yesterday and came across an original Honda dealer brochure for the XR400 and 250 bikes, (the later red models). The brochure is in as new condition. great pictures of the bikes and technical specs on the back page.

I would be pleased to pass this on to somebody that has an XR and like me holds them in high regard. So rather than just send it off to the first person to ask for it. I'm going to make it worth a bit of effort.

First person to post a picture of their currently owned XR250 or 400 gets the brochure.

Believe me this brochure is a gem and worth a bit of effort. It will cost a couple of pounds to pack flat and send to avoid folding it.

Return to “BIKES”