Crashing: This might be a stupid question but…

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mr Free Market

Crashing: This might be a stupid question but…

Post by Mr Free Market »

I have been riding bikes for just over 20 years & I have only ever had to “pick one up” – a GSXR750. Actually I didn’t have to pick it up – some very nice people stopped & gave me a hand, but I do recall that that even with 3 of us, it weighed a bl**dy ton

So having spent over 2 decades avoiding gravel in the same manner as any sane man avoids low alcohol lager I’m now about to sally forth on to the tracks & trails & to put no finer point on it, the inevitable is bound to happen

I feel assured that if this were to happen to you, your friends would come to your immediate assistance – my chums are more likely to be rendered incontinent with laughter & far too busy uploading videos of my “off” on to You Tube, to be of much use

Therefore, is there some dark secret of how you get an inanimate object that wet, weighs over 400 lbs (without luggage) back on to 2 wheels on your own? Or is it simply a case of once again, brute force & ignorance having to prevail?
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
mark1150

Re: Crashing: This might be a stupid question but…

Post by mark1150 »

Have a look at this or give Lancaster Mick a PM. :lol: Once in have a look at some of the other videos, the one thing to remember is if it falls on the right get your side stand down before lifting, otherwise it will fall straight over onto the left.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Not wanting to sound all doom and gloom but those clips never show a big top heavy whale of an enduro bike laying on its side

I'm sure a Triumph Rocket or Goldwing are easier to pick up than Varadero / Tiger / super Ten ect

I've never had to pick my Dero up on my own and I'd probably call a recovery truck to bale me out if and when it happens and I cant get help

MrFreeMarket go with a couple of mates as you said it will happen dont risk putting your back out and really screwing your day
Just make sure their camera batteries are good and strong to get it all on video :evil:
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Jelly

Post by Jelly »

I was told that if for example your bike goes down on it's left side, you put your bars to full lock left, put both hands on the grip and lift, with your legs of course.

I'll try it, when I have to. :dry:

Great vids there, I wouldn't have thought about putting it in gear before lifting, top tip that. :)
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Just make sure when you come off you have enough forward momentum to throw yourself clear. That way there is no crushage involved. :)
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

mark1150 wrote:Have a look at this or give Lancaster Mick a PM. :lol:
The one thing to remember is if it falls on the right get your side stand down before lifting, otherwise it will fall straight over onto the left.
Haha! Minky may be alluding to the fact that before I bought my current bike (bmw 1200gs) I requested the BMW dealer drop it on the floor so that I could have a go at picking it up. :) They were a bit confused at first but enjoyed the experience so much that they took photos! :huh:

With the right technique, bikes are actually quite easy to pick up mate. Plus, you're generally pumped with adrenaline from the drop so as long as you lift properly, the body can cope. :)

Enjoy the fall, once you've dropped it, you'll relax more and be less likely to drop it in the future. ;)
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Lancastermick wrote:
mark1150 wrote:Have a look at this or give Lancaster Mick a PM. :lol:
The one thing to remember is if it falls on the right get your side stand down before lifting, otherwise it will fall straight over onto the left.
Haha! Minky may be alluding to the fact that before I bought my current bike (bmw 1200gs) I requested the BMW dealer drop it on the floor so that I could have a go at picking it up. :) They were a bit confused at first but enjoyed the experience so much that they took photos! :huh:

With the right technique, bikes are actually quite easy to pick up mate. Plus, you're generally pumped with adrenaline from the drop so as long as you lift properly, the body can cope. :)

Enjoy the fall, once you've dropped it, you'll relax more and be less likely to drop it in the future. ;)
I've been called a few things in my time but........ :lol:
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
numptyspence

Post by numptyspence »

I have dropped my dero a few times (honest never my fault)

Just use get your back to the bike and ass in the seat, and use your legs to do the work.

Its so much easier than lifting it any other way, once you have dropped it the first time. you wont be half as worried in the future.
Barnman

Post by Barnman »

here is another good video on the subject

[video][/video]

And in case you can't make it go to about 4mins in for an alternative approach.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Don't think about the bike being 400+ pounds, your not lifting it off the ground so its a fraction of that.

Here is OldGitRay Showing how its done with no adrenalin to assist him. ;)

[video][/video]

Return to “THE PUB”