To old to learn off road ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mac 60

To old to learn off road ?

Post by Mac 60 »

I would love to learn proper off roading, not my usual single track roads or fire tracks which i pretend to myself is the real thing. I did some dirt bike riding as a youngester but joined the Army at 16 and never did rode off road again. So being in the age group that youngsters call an old fart is 50 too old. Not looking to race or anything just would like to be able to take that trail if the chance provides itself.
bond_yzf

Re: To old to learn off road ?

Post by bond_yzf »

Never too old to off road

its all about knowing your phyical and mental limits
oldroadrider

Post by oldroadrider »

Never too old mate ..
Its your brain (and bones) that think you are !
or get a guided trail ride chappy (like Boyd Emerich ? )to take you out at your pace to learn a few tricks ..
If you don't try you will always wonder..... B)
Rich1960

Post by Rich1960 »

I trail ride with a mate who's 71 next birthday, he doesn't do every trail if he knows there are any tricky bits and when he's knackered he sticks to the road, but he does 90% of what everyone else does, he doesn't fall off, and he's steady away. I think he started trail riding 15 or 20 years ago.....so go for it. I'd recommend a lighter bike as opposed to trail riding on a GS or 990 etc.....
Varadero 1000

CRM250AR

XT225
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

You are most certainly not too old!

However it is harder to learn and it takes more time than when you are younger. Doesn't mean it's not fun though!!

A trials bike or some other lightweight machine is the way to go.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Hi Mac
Go for it! I started off road green laning a couple of years ago, and loved it, then progressed to practice days and did eventually enter two enduro's came nowhere but really enjoyed it. Im now 48 and as bond says you have to judge your fitness levels as it can very demanding physically as you are constantly trying to stay on a bike that wants to crash all the time!!!!! but very rewarding when it comes together and as I have now calmed down a bit and bought a GS800 that I will take off road but just not to the rutted mud bogs that I used to frequent! Im looking forward to more sedate trail riding. All that said though I do miss the enduro stuff as its brilliant fun and will definitely help you man handle a bigger bike around like a true riding god hahaha if you are reasonably fit just get a cheap 4 stroke bike and have a go, I would love to own both bikes but can only afford one at the moment! let us know how you get on. (thumbs)Oh and it definitely beats going to a Gym!!!!
cee-b2

Post by cee-b2 »

Nope, you are definitely not too old.
I didn't start riding until I was 55 and went straight in at the deep end. I hadn't ridden bikes at all - didn't even have a licence.
My son races Enduro and rides trials competitions and he taught me. My first couple of years riding I was entering enduros and H&H events and doing a helluva lot of crashing; it is a steep learning curve.
Now, at 60, I am happy to rider-marshall events, trail ride and enter LDTs - as well as doing more extreme stuff (Nevada, Andorra) with my son when we can put it together.
The enduro schools such as Geraint Jones' or Lee Walters' are also excellent and well worth the money.
All the best
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

I have just got hold of a green laner Paul been out a couple of time didn't like it at first but getting into it now.I have still got my tiger aswell but didn't want to do anything with that it to heavy for me to handle in the mud pick up a crf 250 tomorrow second bike in two weeks long story will tell you next time we meet up.oh I am 54 years young next birthday.go for it mate.
cee-b2

Post by cee-b2 »

Oh, and one other thing Paul - you now break easier than you used to and take longer to mend; its official ;)
Being ex-military (me too) you will appreciate the value of having the right protective kit. Buy the best you can afford and if there is a bit of kit that will protect any part of your body, buy it. And wear it.
The number of riders who only buy the protection after they have trashed their knees/wrists/neck (you don't always get a 2nd go after that one!) or some other part of their body is crazy. Even crazier (in my opinion) are the guys who have got the kit (neck brace, for example) but "only wear it for racing". Yeah, because no-one has ever had a bad 'off' while green-laning, or on the road, or just mucking about. Have they? :huh:
The kit won't protect you from every injury - but it sure does help. I know I've tried mine out on many occasions and hate to think what the damage would have been without it :S
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Go for it, I know plenty of riders over 50.
And many of the still compete.

For a good introduction, give Patsy a call at Desert Rose Racing/Acadmy.
Teaching by ACU instructors (with Dakar experience) plus a bike and all the kit.
They do courses for newbies.

I went to them last year to help get ready for my first Rally Raid, the Hellas in Greece.
They taught me loads and help me get to, and through the rally.

Return to “THE PUB”