Triumph Tiger 800XC Fractured Main Frame

The Things We Ride
Arthur Pint Motor

Re: Triumph Tiger 800XC Fractured Main Frame

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

picos mestizo wrote:
chillidave wrote:If you go on the Triumph website they've got Bear Grylls riding an XC800 on video and if you read the disclaimer at the end it says "Triumph motorcycles are not suitable for off-road use." :ohmy:
Well spoted.
Certainly does.
Check out paragraph 4 of the disclaimer @ the end of this video.(1.16-1.24)
The Triumph ad is ludicrous!!!
Half way through it says "Increased off-road ability", then at the end it states "Triumph motor cycles are not suitable for off road use".
Why does it come fitted with 50/50 tyres?
Does Bear Grylls really do that commute every day??
Isn't BG infamous for faking his tv shows?

I think their legal disclaimer should read:
"The video shows Triumph Motorcycles being used by expert professional cupid stunt riders. These acts were performed at minimal risk to the riders as long as they did not use panniers, however you should not try to copy them because you are incompetent.
Triumph appears to encourage the use of this motorcycle off-road, however they do not, but a video of a bloke stuck in traffic on the M25 in sleet and fog is not very inspiring.
Bear Grylls may not be telling the truth, in fact the entire video may be total bollocks. Everything you do is at your own risk including purchasing a Triumph motorcycle.

79% of people polled thought the Triumph's frame was stronger than a matchstick"
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

I don't think its just Triumph after sales that are like this. We had the same poor service from Yamaha

( Hence why our next touring bike is a Honda ) cush rubbers in the rear hub started to wear through the casing of the hub and the inner wheel bearing would just fall out of it housing.

We asked Yamaha UK if they would send a wheel to any of their dealers anywhere in America and we would collect and pay for it including shipping. Their reply was sorry but your bike is out of warranty. Yes we replied we know that, were not asking for a free wheel were asking if you can send one to America at our cost because we can't get one in America because your don't supply the bike or parts for it in the US.

Their reply . Sorry we can't help with this contact the dealer you bought it from .

Thankfully OTR in Germany had a wheel and posted it to us straight away.

Some manufactures after sales customer service could do with improving
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

sprintster wrote:I don't think that would just be a problem with Triumph.Fracture a frame then get someone else to repair it before putting in a warranty claim.If you change your own oil on any make of new bike you'll invalidate the warranty!
Not sure that you do, as as long as you use the Triumph spec oil and oil filter then you are ok. My 12,000 mile service was done by a local guy and I bought the 12,000 mile service kit and the correct £50 oil, that Triumph suggested on there website.

Metropolis were gonna charge me £600 for the 12,000 mile service.
My local guy charged me £120 labour and the oil and service kit cost me £160. So all in £280

Saving me £320!!!!! :pinch:

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Have you checked your frame si ? (thumbs)
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Tim Cullis wrote:I heard bad things about Triumph warranty even before they launched these bikes which is one reason I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Your first course of action should be to subscribe to Which? Legal Service (Consumer Association), see http://legalservice.which.co.uk/#?intcm ... al-Service

It's the best £88 you can ever spend for legal advice and gives you unlimited access to their solicitors for a year. We have used Which Legal Service to reclaim thousands of pounds over the years.

You've got three different messages emanating from the same company
- This is a hard-core bike that you can cross continents on, whether or not there are roads going in that direction
- This model is designed for little off road use
- Triumph motorbikes are street motorcycles... not suitable for offroad.

You bought the bike on the basis of claim #1, but now Triumph are trying to wriggle out of their obligations. Clearly there was no alternative to you having a temporary repair done. What were you supposed to do—ship the bike back to the UK so they could inspect it?

I'm pretty sure the solicitors on duty when you call Which? will delight in having their guts for garters. They will tell you how to phrase a letter back to Triumph, and if that doesn't work, what to do next.

Whether you ultimately win this battle or not, I think you have a duty to the motorcycling community to warn bikers about what's happened. Web sites, letters to biking mags, whatever. Get all the facts together and compose a rounded attack. Ask others to help by posting in as many places as possible. Photographic evidence, and so on.

I was a managing editor for many years so if you want to pass stuff by me I'd be happy to help. Don't get mad, get even! Good luck.
totally agree I have a facebook group and a member of several Tiger 800xc ones, so send us details and pixs and I will post it on all of them. Also stick it on Triumphs facebook page!!!!

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

sexysi

Post by sexysi »

hondapaneuro wrote:Not wishing to Triumph bash... okay then, I will - one of our group on an XC800 in France this year managed to close his top box lid with his keys (and spares) in it. For some reason it locks when closed without the key! Now what do we do? Pull out a multitool (knife) and check mates same box for best point to break the lock. Put the knife blade about quarter inch into lock barrell and hey presto it opens! We've tried this on every topbox and pannier and it opens them all. After the holiday it was reported to Triumph who took it very seriously...No solution as yet, but have mentioned they might rewrite the brochure! Go check yours.
This is why I have Hepco and Becker panniers on mine, because the Triumph ones are very good :pinch:

si

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

sexysi

Post by sexysi »

My frame is fine.

Plus I take the Tiger to most places that would be adventures would never dream to go to.

The bike can be ridden off road and nobody seems to mind when they ride with me, ie: The small KTM and DRZ crowd. YES it is heavy and a beast, but ok.

The only real problem I have is traction on the rear and this is only because I commute to work and cant have a full knobbly fitted to the back.

My front is now more or less a full knobbly (MT21 90% off road)

Have had no frame problems with the bike, it has been fully loaded up for a mental 2,500mile trip through the Alps and was fine. It has been thrown down the road and down several byways :pinch: and still seems to work fine.

There are faults with it and I had the warranty claim for the Transponder in the alarm. Metropolis wanted to charge me £1,400 but I got it for free from Triumph.

Agree with some of the other comments about posting it over the net, and Triumph have really shot themselves in the foot with their response.

Surely the know that you will post it everywhere and everyone will read it!!!! :pinch:

The clutch is a weak point, mine failed after 3,000mile of light off road use :pinch:

But my replacement, that I fitted CERTEX heavy duty one has done 15,000miles, hence I bought another one to replace it when it wears out, which is soon.

So the bike will easily do light off road use...... and then some.

It won't do an Enduro type ride, that's for the baby bikes, but it will do trails etc.

As for the Triumph advert, who is in charge of the Marketing dept at Triumph. Please if you gonna put a disclaimer on an advert, don't get a pro rider to ride the thing off road.
It sends the wrong message to the customer.

Either build a off road version, which they have and scrub the disclaimer, or just show the off road version on the road...... But then I suppose the bike is pointless then.

I wonder if this will effect the off road versions sales!!!!!!

si

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

sexysi wrote:
I wonder if this will effect the off road versions sales!!!!!!

si
Shouldn't think so.
Most people buy with their eyes not their brains.
GSA's sell & look @ their problems :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
johnzxr750

Post by johnzxr750 »

Ok this guy has a problem. but all and i mean all manufacturers are the same. be it an adv bike tourer sports to a moped.jump starting your bmw gs can void your warranty... triumph are no better or worse than anyone else.my tigger has 90+k on it my funduro 45k would i buy another triumph yes bmw no.
For example the average top box max weight for the chassis is around 5kg panniers usually a little more so when you have all your boxes filled plus extras are you really surprised if something breaks?well you shouldnt be. I overload mine like everyone else but if it breaks its my fault not the manufacturers.we are now as bad a society as america where you think theres a blame make a claim use your common sense
cheers for letting me rant away lol j :woohoo:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The weight limit on my Givi rack I have fitted to my S10 is something like 5kg, by the time I put a topbox on it`s reached it`s weight limit :blink:
Triumph are no worse than anyone else but have rather shot themselves in the foot showing the bike being ridden off road and then saying you can`t ride it off road :laugh:
As for Bear Grylls riding it that`s one way to reduce sales, I wouldn`t want one if that twat rides it :whistle:

Return to “BIKES”