TKC 80

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Zebedee

TKC 80

Post by Zebedee »

I'm just about to fit some TKC 80's to my 660 Tenere.

As I will be using the bike on trails as well as the road I'd like some guidance on what pressures to use for these tyres.
Don't want to change pressure at each trail so a good compromise would be appreciated.
daytona-supersport

Re: TKC 80

Post by daytona-supersport »

TKC's work fine on Tens on road, rock, shale and any dry surface but I don't think they are much good in mud. Better than nothing but don't push your luck on them or you will go down a lot sooner than you think when the front end lets go.

General rule for tyre pressure. The harder the going the higher the pressure. On a heavy'ish bike don't go too low as the road handling will be squirming all over the place.

If doing a lot of unmade tracks, use a proper road legal knobbly, (enduro), tyres and enjoy the riding.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

There isn't a good compromise. Too low on the road will put you at risk and too high off road will do the same.

You need to accept that you've got to carry a tyre pressure gauge around with you and adjust them according to what you're doing and remember that while lower pressure give more grip off road the chances of a puncture go sky high.

The alternative is to fit mousses and accept that road handling will suffer but you'll never sit at the side of a muddy trail wondering how the hell you're going to fix that puncture before it gets dark.
special one

Post by special one »

Whack low 20's in and you'll be fine (thumbs)

*disclaimer, my advice could be flawed if you crash as a result.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
scoobydidler

TKC 80

Post by scoobydidler »

Il go with that, 25 both ends all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Looks like somewhere in the middle of road tyre pressures and trail bike tyre pressures should be the starting point then. Slightly higher than I'd originally thought.
Thanks for the quick replies.
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

I know that you don't want to be changing the pressures, but running in the middle means a compromise on both surfaces so not getting the most out of your tyres performance on either.
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

2 bar for road (30 psi).

I'm with Stewie. You really have to lower the pressures drastically to get the footprint-lengthening effect of a caterpillar tread, so I don't think a compromise pressure makes sense.

I rarely lower the pressure on my Tenere with TKC80s as I'm normally riding a mix of sand or mud combined with rocks, and with a low pressure it's all to easy to get snake bite punctures.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

On a 115 kg bike I run Maxxiss IT or EN @ 22-24psi road or trail.
Easier said than done adjusting pressures to suit conditions when you're flitting between road & trail every 10 minutes.
Definately keep pressures above 20psi unless you want pinch-punctures if travelling with any speed on.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Hiya, I run mine at 32psi on the road (currently in the middle of a 1,000 mile UK road trip*)

And around 25 offroad, depending on the surfaces.

I ride to the offroad sections with a high pressure, and then offroad low (tyre gauge, takes 30 seconds).

Then after the offroad session I go fuel up, (maybe jetwash) & reinflate the tyres. It only takes a minute, why take the risk?

Be aware that they feel a bit odd at first, they're quite squared off at the edges, if you see what I mean. They're very good, but be aware its different and give yourself a few steady days (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)

Return to “TECHNICAL”