Balkan Border Insurance (Sept 2014)

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Pompier

Balkan Border Insurance (Sept 2014)

Post by Pompier »

Hi,

Having just got from Bulgaria via the non EU Balkan countries I thought I would post up the current costs of buying your motorbike insurance at the border crossings.

It would seem that most insurance companies don't offer green cards (or any sort of cover) for the 5 non EU countries (even though they are all in the process of applying to join)

All the crossings were very easy (the crossing from Albania to Montenegro was very busy..mega line of cars/lorries) but just bimble up the outside and there was a separate lane for bikes (the footpath between the booths....honestly)

They usually went like this:-
1. Pull up and hand over your passport and V5 doc (I took a colour photocopy (the original was in the lid of my pannier) and each border were happy with this.....saved the original getting dog-eared).
2. "Green Card"?...No, we need to buy insurance.....ok go there (point to office somewhere just across the border...
3. I would get off and walk to buy insurance (V5 needed)and was always asked for Euros in cash (be prepared)
4. Come back to border with insurance paper, show to border guard and off you go...simples...all the concerns we had were totally unfounded.

Macedonia (from Bulgaria) 50 Euros
Kosovo (from Macedonia) 15 Euros
Albania (from Kosovo) 13 Euros
Montenegro (from Albania) 10 Euros
Bosnia (from Montenegro) 16 Euros

So Macedonia was the only one that seemed expensive but that was offset by everything there being soooo cheap (and I thought Bulgaria was cheap)

These countries are great and worth a visit before they do enter the EU and change much more.
Barnman

Re: Balkan Border Insurance (Sept 2014)

Post by Barnman »

Thanks Pompier

That's useful information with perfect timing as I am heading that way this week.
Pompier

Post by Pompier »

No probs, I struggled to find the info before i went so i thought i would share.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me...fantastic area.
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Cheers Nick (thumbs)
Hope you had a great ride home......we fly out to ride home this Wednesday :silly:
Pompier

Post by Pompier »

Hi Both,

Thanks we had a great trip back, (apart from slog up through Germany in the rain...you have right idea with the train...I was looking at train website this morning)

Just sorting out my pictures and will post a few to add to yours (which are great; especially from the bike)

Have a great trip back...sure you will B)
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Pompier wrote: Thanks we had a great trip back, (apart from slog up through Germany in the rain...you have right idea with the train...I was looking at train website this morning)
Thanks for the info (thumbs)

Being based in northern Scotland the flybikefly option to Nice looks an easy option to get to the Balkans, missing out Northern Europe. Not hardcore but my wife likes the idea :)
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Great stuff matey

On my very near future list

Have just bought a suitable bike for off road too

Looking forward to the pics and your ride report
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

Brilliant up to date info (thumbs)
Martin and i are heading over there from Bulgaria next week for a bimble around . Serbia is supposed to accept our insurance under EU ruling , but some conflicting reports, we may just knock at the door and see what happens.
crofty

Post by crofty »

That is great Nic. Will print off and keep in my info folder

You can add Bosnia(BiH) from Serbia 30 Euros to the list
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Did just about all these territories earlier this year with the ADV group--trail and camping. I got my my green card in advance through AGEAS (carole nash)--made life a lot easier-we crossed in some pretty odd places and insurance was not always available--and then you are off to a local town and searching --with a language problem--and don't forget your V5 ORIGINAL (applies to France etc to). I would think that the border insurance is pretty basic--at least with a UK based green card you stand a better chance of support with phone numbers etc. I would also advise decent medical cover in case you have an accident. One of our party broke his leg badly on a trail in the middle of nowhere in Albania--without medical cover life could get very difficult and expensive--and its just not for you--but for your family back home if they have to pick up the pieces.

Return to “TRAVEL”