Stanage Edge, Long Causeway, Sunday 14th September

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Richard Simpson

Stanage Edge, Long Causeway, Sunday 14th September

Post by Richard Simpson »

You are all invited to our Teddy Bears’ Picnic, which will be held at The Pole, on Stanage Edge, Long Causeway, Sunday 14th September, at around noon, (for little bears that is when the two hands of the clock point upwards to the number 12) .

Please, as a donation, bring a small bear, toy or make a donation which will be sent to the charity Operation Christmas Child. This charity sends a Christmas gift to children who have virtually nothing of their own, in many cases not even a family.

The event will (probably) be the last formal one that motorised users will be able to undertake on the Causeway as the PDNPA Permanent Traffic Restriction Order comes into force on 19th September 2014.

Manchester TRF Volunteers will be happy to lead you, in small groups, to visit other Green Lanes in the Peak District,
we hope to have tea, coffee, juice and maybe chocolate biscuits too!
picos mestizo

Re: Stanage Edge, Long Causeway, Sunday 14th September

Post by picos mestizo »

Thanks for the invite Richard.
Won't be able to make this LAST gathering of the Motorized Multicoloured Monsters @ the Stake.
At least you'll still be able to Ramble along the hallowed paviours.
Down here we're not even allowed within arms length of our ancestors rockwork, cause they've stole & imprisoned them & now charge us to look @ 'em.
Gotta say having ridden the Edge I could see it coming.
What irks me is why do they take the derelict tracks away from us which the walkers never use anyway.
They're the ones we want because most present more challenge.
I'm still convinced that most vacant wanderers wan't us off the planet fulllll stop :evil:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Hi Richard
Will try and make this ( with bear :) )
Am I led to believe that the rocky route down has now been paved?
Thanks
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Tyrant68 wrote:Hi Richard
Will try and make this ( with bear :) )
Am I led to believe that the rocky route down has now been paved?
Thanks
Roman paviours, that is :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

Richard Simpson

Yes, I'm led to understand the route is now 'paved'.

I hope to be there one way or another.

see http://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk/what ... a-shoebox/ for details of suitable gifts

This charity wasn't chosen by me, but I have had a look at their activities. It is a Christian charity, but the gift distribution and work is done on a non-denominational basis...ie on the basis of need and not what someone's beliefs are.
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

Sorry I am away and cant attend. The route has been relaid and is as flat as a witches tit now !!. Bloody walkers are now moaning that it isnt good to repair routes like this !!!!!!!!!
heres a bit I copied

Resurfacing work on the stretch between Stanage Edge and Dennis Knoll is currently replacing the rough rocky trail previously known to walkers, cyclists and climbers with an even, flat-topped metalled gravel surface that's arguably more in keeping with an urban park than a National Park.

A former packhorse route that's valued by a number of recreational 'user groups', the Long Causeway links Redmires with Hathersage, via Stanage. Because of its green lane status it is open to vehicle traffic, and in recent years has suffered badly from erosion caused by trail bikes and 4x4s.

Although the National Park might have made repairs rather more sympathetic to the Causeway's historic character, the work is being done by Derbyshire County Council, who by their own admission consulted with no walking, climbing or cycling stakeholder groups (such as the BMC) before getting stuck in.

Now the County Council's efforts have drawn scathing criticism from Ride Sheffield, an advocacy group for local mountain bikers, for whom this part of the Causeway - hitherto quite technical, but now boringly samey - has effectively been spoiled.
I think I may alter my mind and go for "all routes to be tarmaced and a national speed limit be given to um" OR just lift the proposed TRO and STFU. Also its supposed to have cost 235k to just grade it !!!!!
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Wasn't some of this route Roman Limestone pavement which I thought was to be preserved.
Seems what they've done is destroy the character of this ancient route.
Serves the greedy walkers right. Why not finish the job............dose it flat & tarmac it
Lightness is everything.

Richard Simpson

The PDNPA don't repair routes..they just close them, and bank their salaries.

route is now fully accessible to disabled people in wheelchairs so that's a box ticked for Jim and his chums.
Richard Simpson

mancunian

Post by mancunian »

Greetings Folks,

If riders want to make their own way to Long Causeway then there are a number of options;

Ride there under your own steam;

OS grid reference SK228843 Lat 53.3548072632691 + Long -1.65704419601261 Postcode S32 1BQ (approx. location only) for Dennis Knoll Car Park

Manchester TRF will set off from the public car park behind the Purple Pakora Indian Restaurant, opposite Marple Bridge Railway Station, Brabyns Brow, Marple Bridge, Stockport, SK6 7DA leaving at 09:30 This ride will take in a number of lanes suitable for all classes of riders and motorcycles. We will have a number of ride leaders available so that we can split numbers up, so just turn up.

Manchester TRF (and others) ride leaders will be available to take groups of riders out from Long Causeway in the afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting you on Sunday,BIG BIKES will be catered for :)

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”