The perfect camp kitchen

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
matthewcashmore

Re: The perfect camp kitchen

Post by matthewcashmore »

Actually here are all the videos to date

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 830D0550E6

not that many really. But you get the idea.

I'm a big fan of cooking properly on the road - can't stand eating cold and crap food - or even worse food from a packet.
scouse

Post by scouse »

This is the usual standard on the road no processed foods for us :D ...

Bum in the Mud Rally 2007 by Scouse_and_Jules, on Flickr
"So run the recipe by me again, mussels, white wine, cream, and garlic.... no shallots ? " :D

We followed it up that day with Queen scallops on a bed of spinach and a cream sauce ( how to use the cream up and clean the pan at the same time... ;) ).
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
matthewcashmore

scouse wrote:
We followed it up that day with Queen scallops on a bed of spinach and a cream sauce ( how to use the cream up and clean the pan at the same time... ;) ).
Oh that sounds really good!
scouse

Post by scouse »

matthewcashmore wrote:
Well I have done what you're describing - but I wouldn't call that spag bol.
One of the great things about touring away from the UK is the ability to find really really fresh ingredients and do what the locals do and only buy every other day at the most.

Don't really like using processed foods, far too salty and sugary which is the last thing you need if it's hot. Contributes to dehydration. Veggies are better than meat to aid absorption of water when it's hot so with t'other half being a veggie we stick mainly to fresh veg sauces .It's simple to do a two pan fresh pasta meal using a soffritto and fresh tomatoes, I was taught the basic recipe by my mates Italian wife.

A simple sauce first, stir in a handful of torn fresh basil and cover, second pan will have boiled while you did this and you chuck in the egg pasta cook for about three minutes,drain the pasta then combine to serve.Then add some roughly chopped hard cheese if you can find it and way you go... Same as the Italians do at home ;)

The one luxury item, apart from English Breakfast tea, we always carry is one of those disposable Schwartz pepper grinders, nothing like fresh ground pepper to bring even a bland meal to life :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
matthewcashmore

scouse wrote:
The one luxury item, apart from English Breakfast tea, we always carry is one of those disposable Schwartz pepper grinders, nothing like fresh ground pepper to bring even a bland meal to life :D
And you took the piss out of me for taking a whisk! :P

Post by Guest »

matthewcashmore wrote:
I'm a big fan of cooking properly on the road - can't stand eating cold and crap food - or even worse food from a packet.
Seconded!
scouse

Post by scouse »

matthewcashmore wrote:
scouse wrote:
And you took the piss out of me for taking a whisk! :P
Nope suggested I just thought it maybe unnecessary, and maybe a bit "camp" ... but then again you did say it was a perfect camp kitchen :D :D

matthewcashmore

scouse wrote: Nope suggested I just thought it maybe unnecessary, and maybe a bit "camp" ... but then again you did say it was a perfect camp kitchen :D :D
Tart!

@Jinx22 - I feel a cook-out coming on.
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

A few new faces so welcome,
dont get round to saying hello that much.

Matthew I've seen your vids and thank you for taking the time. find them bloody good and enjoyable

A cook off. well I cant cook, it all comes in bags for me but I'm very willing to sit on the jury panel and judge.....I'll bring my own spoon
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

davsato

Post by davsato »

instant noodles,
2x cuppa soups
2x finely sliced pepperamis
4x cans beer

is good.

+1 on the tackle shop, get a multi compartment small tackle box to keep the oxo cubes in tiptop condition.
a word on stock cubes, oxo cubes are sealed in foil and last forever, knorr have a much bigger flavour selection (go to an ethnic supermarket, fermented fish head, tom yam and piri-piri are my favourites) but they are wrapped in paper like sweeties and open to the air. and when you leave thenm in your kit and forget for a winter they absolutely stink, be warned.

and try and stop in a supermarket cafe along the way and help yourself to sachets of brown sugar, sauces, salt and pepper. caramelised fried bacon pittas are a great brekkie.

matts videos are good, didnt get a chance to chat at the boil mate but next time its the powdered red wine and dehydrated cheese evening, ok?
Dave

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”