Sheltex - What's the verdict

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Barcelona Pat

Sheltex - What's the verdict

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Grateful for any advice on this one - particularly from any owners of a Sheltex jacket.

I'm shopping around for a new suit and looked at this after work today (see link below) - ticked lots of boxes for me - but I am not sure about the Sheltex. They say not as breathable / waterproof as Gortex - but what's the verdict from a current owner?

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/ ... beige.html

For the suit - around £200 cheaper than a Gortex - so please offer your pearls of wisdom and help this fellow traveller make his mind up!

Cheers
B)
Pat
Mr Free Market

Re: Sheltex - What's the verdict

Post by Mr Free Market »

Pat

I asked nearly the same question about a week or so ago & Roadcat's excellent response is on this thread

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... ction.html

Cheers
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
appleby

Post by appleby »

Barcelona Pat wrote:Grateful for any advice on this one - particularly from any owners of a Sheltex jacket.

I'm shopping around for a new suit and looked at this after work today (see link below) - ticked lots of boxes for me - but I am not sure about the Sheltex. They say not as breathable / waterproof as Gortex - but what's the verdict from a current owner?

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/ ... beige.html

For the suit - around £200 cheaper than a Gortex - so please offer your pearls of wisdom and help this fellow traveller make his mind up!

I had a Voyager (goretex) jacket and sheltex trousers!
The jacket has never leaked a drop - the trousers have been replaced with "Tricky" goretex.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I've got a pair of trous from Hein Gericke with sheltex membrane. They've done a little over 10,000 miles and I've only had a wet backside once – think it was actually due to a leaking jacket at the time rather than a problem with the trous. They're a bit hot and clammy in warmer weather, but I've no reason to think goretex would be any better (it's the venting that's not sufficient).

I'll certainly get another pair when these are finally done.
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
Alun

Post by Alun »

Over the past 16 years of testing waterproof breathable fabrics in all conditions and locations there's one thing above all others that stands out. Unless you test the stuff in laboritory conditions the difference in the performance of the fabrics is negligable in real world situations.

What makes the biggest difference to staying dry on the inside is the base layer and mid layer you wear and the ventilation options on the garment.

Plus, waterproof breathable materials only work when the atmospheric conditions are;
hot and humid on the inside
cold and dry on the outside'
The irony is they only work to their potential when it's too cold to rain and breath best in locations such as at the top of high altitude Himalayan peaks.

If you like it Pat, buy it, unless you plan on riding to the top of Everest.
Francis Begbie

Post by Francis Begbie »

Not a suit i know but...

I have a pair of heine gerick sheltex winter gloves that i used over the last winter, warm and waterproof in all weather i used them in and i rode the whole winter, weren't that expensive either.
Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

I have Sheltex jacket and gloves and worn them in some horible conditions. I have been more than happy them. kept me dry when my trousers didnt.

I will be looking to replace them with the same again.
Womble

Post by Womble »

Pays your money and takes your choice... :)

My experience is that that the guarantee is more important than the product - do HG still do the 5 year warrenty on Goretex stuff? Worthwhile buying if they do, though you may as well compare a £500 Goretex jacket with a £200 Sheltex (other-tex) jacket as you can replace it every few years.

Having said that my Polo (German company) sheltex jacket is still fine after 7 years, that's approx 50,000 miles.

Anyone any experience of Spada jackets?
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Many thanks everyone - some useful advice. I think I might go for it (fitted really well too).

Cheers
B)
Pat
davsato

Post by davsato »

had a voyager III full suit, excellent, now got a maxwell jacket which is sheltex and thats fine too.
Dave

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”