Who is bringing what?

The ABR Rally season kicks off in Takoda Camping, Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria
davsato

Re: Who is bringing what?

Post by davsato »

africajim wrote: I'm in total agreement Dave, the Mighty Varadero is capable of carrying major loads. I'm toying with taking the folding picnic table as Fiona's taking her own bike!
none of this minimalist stuff for us eh jim
Dave
africajim

Post by africajim »

Hell yeah Dave, If I could get power for the TV it'd be coming too!

I think over the years you know what you can and can't take, you also know what you need to take. I've been minimal over the years with two up touring but now Fiona takes her own bike I've a lot more scope for luxury items like a decent seat!

Looking forward to the rally to see everyones different ideas on touring, tentwise, etc. Bring it on!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

Dunno what I'm bringing yet, a couple of days before I start working out what I need from the wilderness armoury under the bed. ;) If I start sorting it out too early, I get too excited....see now I'm gonna have to go and read some maps to calm down. :)

...but I do need a decent steel for the machete and it's me birthday on Wednesday so a new tent may be on the horizon. Won't have time to fabricate brackets for the ammo box panniers so that'll force me to travel light anyway. :)
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
davsato

Post by davsato »

ipswichbiker wrote: Ok perhaps what I should say is thats what I like. Ive camped with just what I can carry on my back but also at othet times with a campervan with awning and fridge freezer and tv etc. So its not what you must do but just something you can if you feel like it.
:) i know mate, ive done the bivvy bagging and the hammock between two trees and used those useless hexamine block cookers(i use the term loosely) but now im with jim, you get to a point where home comforts are more important than the gallon of fuel extra it takes to carry the extra weight. kitchen sink here we come, huzzah!

jim, a pillion seriously cuts into the luxury carrying capacity of a bike
Dave
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Surely that will just make it worse!? You could watch some pre-recorded day time tv to put you into a sedate slumber.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Ive "slept" in a bivi bag before. Every 20 mins I would wake up from a terrible dream in which I was trapped and constricted in a bag... only to find I was. I think I made a start at 4.30 am. Compared to that a tent is a luxury :)

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Barnman

Post by Barnman »

Did a trial run today. Decided to go for the mimialist approach :laugh:

ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Hehe, very funny Barnman.
Just one bike and one tent for me.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

I wonder if Paul has a second field for the lighter campers? All the times Ive camped and turned up to rallys and not given a thought! BUT this time I feel a complex coming on and feel that when I get back to Yorkshire from France tomorrow night that I should be paying a visit on Wednesday to a camping shop (thats after I take the actionman back to the toy shop which was for Mark1150!!! Shame on you!) just to keep up with the Jones`:( :laugh:

This is my typical solo camp
Pyrnees sept05 030.jpg
Pyrnees sept05 030.jpg (113.36 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
This is typical with GF ( thats me in pic, not GF!!!)

europe2007 052.jpg
europe2007 052.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Apart from the usual - tent, kip mats and bags, stove - and utensils, and inner tent carpeting ( a petrol station special- a picnic rug... makes huge difference on keeping tents dry and clean inside) everything else will be packed after we have seen a weather report Friday morning...

It's easier on setting up quickly as the required kip bags for the conditions( we have more than one rating of bags and liners to combine) and mats are compressed for only a few hours not days , so loft up quicker, and if there will be any reason to wear extra layers that can be decided on the day. We do however have the advantage that for a long time we have packed the bikes for rallies and camping trips possibly 15 to 20 times a year so have it down to a fine art :D This month for example we will have 3 weekends away... one down already and two to go :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Return to “ABR FIRST TO THE BOIL RALLY APRIL 15th 2011”