Do you travel with your partner?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveW

Do you travel with your partner?

Post by SteveW »

Much as I love her, my wife's a moaning cow. Not all the time you understand, it's just that she has a low tolerance of, cold, discomfort, foreigners, foreign food, heavy restrictive clothing, helmets, camping, scruffy hotels and hostels.
She also likes deep baths and soap operas.
Which kind of suits me, because on a trip I prefer the company of blokes :whistle:
I always return from a trip the conquering hero, I am sure absence makes the heart grow fonder!
I do almost admire those of you who travel as a couple, especially when both of you ride your own bikes. But it's not really for me or her.
We do holiday together and travel in our VW camper, but not on a bike.
misterlaffer

Re: Do you travel with your partner?

Post by misterlaffer »

Same boat mate. My Wife would not even entertain the idea of a ride to the pub on a sunny day let alone a blast around Europe and that just suits me fine. For I while I did try and coax her on the back thinking it would mean more opportunity to ride my bike and not have to get a 'visa' to go out for a ride, but I was just kidding myself.

I have a few mates who have convinced their Mrs to get on the back for a long trip, and one of them ended up putting her on the train home, while he had to blast up the Motorway to beat the train to collect her from the station :P

Even my good lady agrees she doesn't belong there, and leaves me to enjoy my interest in peace (as long as I get the DIY done, decorate the house, wash up ya de ya de ya :silly: )
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

In my case I can't think of anyone else I would want to travel with.

To share these experiences is what makes the trip so special. I have done a few trips on my own but would rather have Leigh with me. There are days when one of you is on a downer ,this is when the other can help left them and get you through it.

I believe after we did our tour I cant travel with anyone but Leigh now. I don't even think I can ride in a group anymore after doing so much on a solo bike.

Maybe if you both had the chance to spend a longer period of time away together just the two of you . Maybe then you would realise how much you rely on each other and then both your views may change.

Ps . I think what can put a lot of partners off is the amount of riding we do. If their a pillion and not on their own bike you have to think of them. We may be happy doing 12 hour days covering loads of miles but they may not.

One tip for anyone who's partner is interested in trying a holiday on the bike would be to get the ferry from the UK to Spain . Once off the boat the Picos mountains are only about a hours ride away. Touring this area is beautiful and you don't need to spend day after day getting there. Loads to see and do without the need to ride 100's of miles per day. It may get them interested in doing a bit more on the next trip.

Dazzer
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

+1 Dazzer
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Life changing trip Daz

Lucky man
shed

Post by shed »

Couldn't think of anything worst than going on a bike trip ,(with her in doors) dont get me wrong ive been happily married for 18years but (never the twain shall meet)!!!
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

The furthest my wife managed riding pillion was Scarborough & now she's given up pillion altogether we do travel together but in her MG TF going to Norway in it in Aug bike trips are now on my own but when I go to Kinlochleven for the pre65 trial in May she takes all the luggage in the TF & I ride the Tiger up perfect :)
Plus the car is there if needed for runs to the pub while we are there :)
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

We do holiday as a couple (with kids!) we travel in the camper together we visit our holiday home together. Just that she's not into bikes. I look forward to seeing her when I get back (longest trip was just short of a month) and I plan on being away on my own on various trips for at least six weeks this year.
I feel the whole dynamic of riding a bike is a solo experience, with a pillion and to some extent if your partner is riding with you, you have to take responsibility for the safety of someone you love, you just can't ride like a dickhead even just for a short twisty section, you can't just head up a track that looks a bit dodgy without considering their safety. I want to do what I want, when I want too.
I do fully understand if as a couple you are both tuned in to the bike experience and I guess you are both lucky to have found bike-soul mates. Me, I guess I am too shallow and selfish, I like the company of blokes on a bike trip, l like the craic, banter and sometimes the competitiveness. I would feel too protective and accountable if I dragged my mrs along!
nigel page

Post by nigel page »

+1 Dazzer
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

I used to 'do' miles and then my better half suggested a slower pace some time ago.

One day riding, arrive, get sorted, next day have a wander around and see what's about, nice meal, few vinos on the veranda. You know, chilled..... stay or leave, it didn't matter - go with the flow and the surroundings.

It changed the whole nature of what we did and what we experienced during our holidays.

I got to like it as it was less ride, unpack, pack, ride.

Sometimes, perhaps, we all try to cram too much in regarding covering distance when we are time limited? Maybe it is this that puts some partners off.... 'numb bum syndrome'.

As an old saying goes 'The interruptions......."

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/

Return to “TRAVEL”