Norway: how to get to?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
CraigT

Norway: how to get to?

Post by CraigT »

Guys, we are looking at doing a trip to Norway this year, but we are struggling for a ferry crossing from UK to maybe, Bergen? The further North the better, we're even looking at Aberdeen to Shetland, Shetland to Norway? Anyone any pointers for this?

Hull, Newcastle?, Harwich does Denmark, but not ideal.

thanks
Tourider

Re: Norway: how to get to?

Post by Tourider »

There have been no ferry services from the UK to Norway for a few years. There are occaisionally reports of something being resurected but they always fail to attract enough backers. Your route at the moment is ferry to Holland and ride up through Germany, Denmark, over the bridge to Sweden and then on to Norway.
david

Post by david »

I went Calais, north Germany, Denmark and Ferry to Norway. Its a fabulous destination :)
spot

Post by spot »

trophydave

Post by trophydave »

I have a mate works in Oslo,he has caught that one a few times.
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

immingham > oslo would be ideal, but it's a cargo route so they can't usually confirm a space for passengers till the last minute.

Alternatively a ferry to Denmark, then a ferry from Esjberg (northen denmark) across to Kristiansand
outrunner

Post by outrunner »

Started looking into a trip to Norway myself, best way I reckon is Holland, Germany up through Denmark to Hirtshals for the ferry to Norway which is only around 35 euros for 1 plus bike each way.

Andy.
Grumpy auld man.
wolf

Post by wolf »

outrunner wrote:Started looking into a trip to Norway myself, best way I reckon is Holland, Germany up through Denmark to Hirtshals for the ferry to Norway which is only around 35 euros for 1 plus bike each way.
Andy.
Big tick from me. That is my planned route, mainly to add several other countries to the trip. I work on and off in Norway and would recommend starting from south to north (populated to empty)but make sure you take in Bergen which is very friendly and surrounded by amazing scenery.
Yamaha XJR1300 rider
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
CraigT

Post by CraigT »

Some good pointers there guys, thanks. Those links have some stunning pics of the landscape up there. We've been mulling over a trip like this for some years, but the attraction to head south for warmer climes has always resulted in the alps.

Hopefully I can convince the 'group' to take this up and head north.

I like the thought of the cargo route. There was one similar in Aberdeen a few years back and since one of the guys is up there for a few days this week he'll check this out at the harbour. I'll report back if his inquiries result in anything of interest. Otherwise Immingham looks reasonable.

Thanks for the input. Here's hoping I can formulate a 'plan'. (thumbs)

Return to “TRAVEL”