What's your views about posting up green lanes and off road stuff?

Tramp

Re: What's your views about posting up green lanes and off road stuff?

Post by Tramp »

here`s the trailwise web site details..

http://www.trailwise.org.uk/

Right my point of view only....

The trf is a good organisation that does a lot for the greenlanes etc and legal side, but for a novice taking his "adventure bike" off road for a bimbble it is very different than a Cr/Xr variant taking to the trails.

How many people would be willing to take their pride and joy off road and drop it damaging the fairing etc? I honestly think its a small percentage who use their adventure big bikes off road so I`d dowt the lanes being flooded with bikers.

As those that like then already know where they are, but say for arguments sake...

your off up northwales for the weekend or the lakedisdrict and fancy a senic tour taking in some lanes whats the harm in haveing access to info on hear? surely if more bikers used them then more people would be their to complain about the ramblers and horse riders trying to close them.

Like anything you always get "some people" who spoil things for the good folk...

I agree we dont want inexperienced riders talking to the lanes who are "on their own" [bad move] dont know where they are going etc but by putting up some favorite routes others might think ...

that looks fun I`ll join in next time...

we on Xrv manage to get permission last year to enter Galloway forest which was a huge privilege and its becoming a regular event thanks to both parties respecting each other.
hornet

Post by hornet »

XTrider wrote:I think that although it would be useful, it would be a bad idea. The minute you post legitimate routes they get hammered. Thus causing the council, land owners to try and get them closed. Seen it happen in the Dales where big groups would use the same trails over and over and treat it as a big motocross loop. Yep everyone has a right to use them but the more popular and more damage they get the quicker they will get closed.
My advice would be to join the TRF.
good point well made however people do get the wrong idea about the trf and what they do and stand for. There is unfortunatly an element of keeping the knowledge to themselves until you show yourself not to be an idiot. These guys have work very hard in the face of some very well funded and organised opponents ie ramblers, wealthy land owners,cyclists clubs and of course the horse owners, so showing every tom dick and harry where all the lanes are so they can ride like twats and undo all the good work

firstly you can just go along to your local meeting, most are one a month some twice check out this link simply call or email to confirm your going is always a good idea

http://www.trf.org.uk/groups/group-listing.html

im sure most you guys are mostly on 600cc and bigger and mostly will go to the byways and ucrs when the weather is dryer thus causing less impact. The trf encourages responsible and legall use of the lanes with consideration to all other users.

Its the best £40 you can spend far better than buying some maps the key is the local trf groups know how to link the lanes together to avoid the roads

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
herman

Post by herman »

ipswichbiker wrote:Id like to politely disagree about OS maps. I think they are still useful as Traffic Regulation Orders TROs have to be sign posted on the route. So you should be able to ride up to a route see that it is closed and turn around and ride somewhere else.

department for transport guidelines

"the requisite traffic signs are placed on or near the road and maintained for as long as the TRO remains in force."
Fair comment,however there are some militant elements in cars and on bikes that tear down notices and axe the restricted byway signs in the misguided knowledge that they will 'get away with it' if there is no sign. There is a lane near Basingstoke that runs for miles but the last few hundred yards are restricted,but the sign is only at one end! Parish boundaries apparently. There are also many lanes marked on my local O.S. maps which have been closed for years due to NERC,even when you walk them with the dog they are still marked as RUPPs. Its a minefield folks.....easier to pop over to France in my opinion now. :(
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I'm more for guided rides than instructions on how to get there.
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

I subscribe to the guides plan...if that's workable that is. With that in mind, you'd think maybe if local authorities set up licensed guides for fragile routes and managed them with voluntary contributions everyone would be winners. Is this something we could lobby an authority about do you think? :huh:
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
James691

Post by James691 »

Mick you can always speak to your local MP mate, you have a right to have a meeting with your MP holding regard for making an advanced meeting either with a Aid or the MP. You also have MAG Motorcycle Action Group and RAV Riders Are Voters. Paddy Tyson does a lot with this sort of thing.

It's all very new to me but it is something that I will be looking into dur to wanting to get the rides myself. :)
Dancing in the moonlight
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

I have been using green lanes for a few years now. Mainly in a Land Rover. It is very much frowned upon, to publish Green Lane routes on a public forum in the 4x4 world. This is due to those individuals who have no respect for those routes and the land owner or local authority who look after them. I have witnessed firsthand the mindless damage caused and the irresponsible behaviour of these bone headed people.

To that end this information should be limited to those who will use it correctly.

These are the stats of who’s online now: In total there are 697 users Online: 33 Members and 664 Guests

No one can tell the difference between genuine people who will respect the lanes they travel on or those who don’t give a monkeys.

So IMHO this info is best kept hidden and only made available to those who will use it with respect.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
Barnman

Post by Barnman »

hornet wrote:
good point well made however people do get the wrong idea about the trf and what they do and stand for. There is unfortunatly an element of keeping the knowledge to themselves until you show yourself not to be an idiot. These guys have work very hard in the face of some very well funded and organised opponents ie ramblers, wealthy land owners,cyclists clubs and of course the horse owners, so showing every tom dick and harry where all the lanes are so they can ride like twats and undo all the good work
I support this viewpoint :)

[ul]
[li]lanes should be used.......but only be responsible users[/li]
[li]info should be shared.......but only with responsible users[/li]
[li]The law is reasonably straight forward, for those that want to act within the law and are prepared to do some groundwork[/li]
[li]The info is freely available for those that are prepared to look for it[/li]
[li]Those that are prepared to look for it are generally responsible[/li]
[li]a circular argument ;) [/li]

[/ul]

Otherwise we risk a few bad apples causing a lot of damage, maybe actual, maybe perceived however it tarnishes all our reputations

I like the idea of local 'experts' (doesn't need to be an individual) that will share and pass on information to like minded individuals. It always great to be be able to share local knowledge with responsible riders .

But who is responsible, well thats all very subjective! :laugh:
Barnman

Post by Barnman »

Lancastermick wrote:I subscribe to the guides plan...if that's workable that is. With that in mind, you'd think maybe if local authorities set up licensed guides for fragile routes and managed them with voluntary contributions everyone would be winners. Is this something we could lobby an authority about do you think? :huh:

Have you not heard?...its all big society now adays...if you want a guide, then my son, you can be the guide. :P
moto al

Post by moto al »

good evening chaps ,in the picos they have stopped green laneing,because its not green ,for me i dont ask i just do it say sorry and act the daft laddie thats easy for me, and 9/times out of 10 its ok cheers al
moto al

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”