CCM 'hard' launch at NEC

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson

CCM 'hard' launch at NEC

Post by Richard Simpson »

This has come across my desk

I don't work for CCM...this is just for the interest of you all

Following a program of successful customer rides, Bolton based motorcycle manufacturer CCM is set to reveal the production ready GP450 Adventure at this year’s Motorcycle Live.

Designed and built in the UK, the new GP450 is unique in being the only mid-range adventure bike geared up for long distance travel straight out of the crate. The bike boasts a long-range tank, a durable 30KW engine previously seen in the BMW G450 and a host of accessories, including a soft-luggage and hard luggage option and a low-seat, low suspension option.

The bike is expected to appeal to riders wanting something more manageable offroad than the large capacity adventure bikes made popular by the exploits of Ewan McGreggor and Charlie Boreman in their Long Way Round series. The low seat option and light weight of only 135kilos is also expected to make the GP450 a hit with female riders, as well as those craving more off-road ability from their adventure bike whilst visiting the unmarked terrain of places like Morocco, Pyrenees or the Swiss Alps.

Director of CCM Austin Clews explains, ‘For a long time the trend in the adventure sector has been for the bikes to get bigger and heavier year on year. We saw that not everyone wants that and so have designed and built an adventure bike that can be used and ridden in difficult conditions without the fear of dropping it and not being able to pick it up. It will also cruise on the motorway and even prove ideal on the daily commute.’

The Bond-Liteframe is a unique asset to the GP450 Adventure bike, setting it aside from other manufactures. The frame is made up of 13 forged aluminium components, CNC precision machined and bonded together using aerospace technology, CCM are the first motorcycle manufacturer to use this technique to achieve a lightweight chassis with consistent flex and stress properties, leading the way with the new lightweight revolution.

In recent months the team has been busy showcasing the bike to prospective buyers and journalists, working with them to improve and refine the product ahead of its launch at the annual bike show in Birmingham, the biggest in the UK.

Clews explains; ‘We really listened to what people had to say about the seat height and the luggage system, going back to the drawing board and redesigning things if necessary. It’s a unique approach we’ve taken with the design and build of this bike and we really hope the pay-off is a bike that will appeal to those riders currently frustrated by the choice of bikes available to them.’

The GP450 Adventure is set to cost £7,995, a price that is great value when taking into consideration the quality OEM equipment fitted as standard.
There is a whole host of useful quality lightweight accessories available with the bike to create a complete package any “Adventurer” would want to start their GP450 journey.

CCM are currently taking pre-orders before the show and have a special NEC offer. With any GP450 Adventure ordered, the customer receives goodies worth £500 including a £250 voucher towards any aftermarket accessory. Test rides on the production models will be run during the NEC show.

*NEC offer ends on the last day of the Motorcycle live show. It includes all customers that have already preordered a GP450 Adventure and any orders taken at the show.
davsato

Re: CCM 'hard' launch at NEC

Post by davsato »

450cc mid range?
its a sweet little bike but it is too little for me, its got the wrong engine and the wrong price, although pricewise it is a very well thought out design with some very neat details, i'll give it that.
but for me personally, its too gadgety, too little bike for too much money. i hope they do well with it but i cant see it selling in big numbers (they probably dont need it to though) i hope it kickstarts CCMs rebirth
Dave
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

To me there is one fatal floor in there marketing material.

They say this will be a real alternative to the big and heavy GS...we'll no bike of this size has a large and comfy seat that supports all of the backside and lower back.

A few will do many miles on the new CCM but not many as it just will not be that comfy for very long distance.

These days adventure bikes are really only tourers with longer suspension and different styling. The CCM will appeal to those who want to do trails and not travel long distance.

I wish them we'll and hope I am proven wrong. But for me If I were driven thousands of miles seat comfort would be at the very top of my list.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Brads

Post by Brads »

They forgot to mention just how Fugly it is as well

Worst looking bike I`ve seen in years.

Only reason folk bang on about it is the fact that it`s British, and the Millward moanies that hate big bikes
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Seeing as some low life nicked my 2013 KTM 690 Enduro R I'm in the market for a replacement and I do like the concept of the CCM 450. I was impressed with the CCM staff who were collecting feedback at Horizons Unlimited meeting.

But I'm not sure if I can be bothered to go all the way to Bolton (had to look it up on Google Maps!) for a test ride at this time of the year. And I'll be away in Spain during Motorcycle Live.

If they had some test rides in the south I might be encouraged to get my cheque book out.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
davsato

Post by davsato »

Tim Cullis wrote:Seeing as some low life nicked my 2013 KTM 690 Enduro R I'm in the market for a replacement and I do like the concept of the CCM 450. I was impressed with the CCM staff who were collecting feedback at Horizons Unlimited meeting.

But I'm not sure if I can be bothered to go all the way to Bolton (had to look it up on Google Maps!) for a test ride at this time of the year. And I'll be away in Spain during Motorcycle Live.

If they had some test rides in the south I might be encouraged to get my cheque book out.
yes i forgot about that, met a couple showing the bike at the overland show and they were both very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the bike, and one was even a GIRL :ohmy: i dont mean that in a sexist way but everyone must admit thats pretty rare! pretty little thing too (THAT was sexist lol)

also, it doesnt come with the extra HP as standard but after you buy it you can take the bike back to the factory to get the uprated husqvarna cylinder head or something put on for free, thats really not a big selling point to me :huh:
Dave
Zeebec

Post by Zeebec »

I have been to Bolton & test ridden the new 450 and was very impressed with the CCM people and the bike.
The bike was surprisingly capable off road & could sit quite comfortably with the traffic on the motorway.
Bearing in mind the one that is offered as a test bike is a pre production model, the factory were very keen to point out that the fueling was not yet perfect and the seat was still in development together with a few other areas still undergoing development, it was an excellent bike to ride.
On road it felt very rigid & easy to ride with none of the wallowing usually associated with lighter enduro style bikes (my last enduro machine was a Husaberg FE390). Power delivery was smooth but it did need revving a bit to get the best out of it, the factory did say that the final fuelling & ECI should move the power down the revs a little & give it a bit more torque.
I had a choice on the test ride to take their usual off road route along relatively tame green lanes or try out a technical rocky climb opting for the technical climb it really showed what the bike can do.
I don't know which trail it was but the going would have given the Husaberg a tough time, all 1st gear clutch work, loose shoe box rocks with a few tricky steps & the CCM took it all easily. A slightly lower 1st would have been nice & the development fueling showed here with the odd stall at very low throttle openings but I was very surprised how capable it was. Even was very light to pick up after a little step off (sorry about the broken hand guard CCM).
After this I wanted to see how it went on the open road & my chaperon went out of his way (& extended the test ride) to find a way onto the motorway. On the motorway it easily kept pace with the traffic & didn't feel out of its depth at all although any longer distances would be much nicer on smaller roads.
Following the ride the factory were very interested in feedback & discussing changes / improvements.
I didn't buy one in the end. I wanted to try one out & was very impressed but really looking for something a bit more road orientated which can munch the miles.
For someone looking for a bike that is lightweight, low seat, has 90% the off road capability of a full on enduro bike but feels great on the road and would be comfortable over reasonable distances it is ideal & looks awesome in the flesh.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Its too expensive for what it is. It needs to be at Yamaha XT and Kawasaki Versys money to compete.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

I've always said the Tenere is one of the best 'out of the box' adventure bikes (I still have one), but it's too heavy when the going gets technical. The KTM 690 Enduro is way lighter than the Tenere as well as being far more powerful, and it can handle long journeys (I did Aberdeen to London in one hit) so that's what I'm comparing other bikes against.

The CCM 450 is about the same weight as the 690 Enduro, less powerful, but more expensive. On the other hand it has a good cockpit arrangement and more fuel capacity. But as it happens I'm not fussed about fuel capacity.

But after buying an early BMW F650GS twin I did say I would never ever buy a bike until it had been on the market for a year and all the teething problems sorted out by 'early adopters'.

I suspect I'm heading for another 690 Enduro.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

I think comparing the CCM to anything else on the market is a bit silly as it doesnt really have a direct competitor.

The price is high but the target market in reality is quite small so the volumes to bring the price down are not achievable. Also the price of many machines on the market is done so tge manufacturer makes almost no money and makes tge money on accessories. I dont think ccm are banking on huge accessorie sales so have to nake money on the machine.

Tims point about waiting a year for the teething problems to be iorned out is one I share.

I really hope this bike does well as it is good for the nation and also will make the mass market take notice.

posted from Foxy Fone

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40

Return to “BIKES”