hello you lot.

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
tinytim

hello you lot.

Post by tinytim »

hi.
my name is tim and I like to burn off small bikes in my volvo 2.5 turbo. the reason I dont have a bike is because I know I would end up dead. I used to drive bus and coaches and saw many idiots do many silly things like pull out in front of me or overtake on blind bends. I have seen many things in my life including a collision in which a passenger was ejected horizontally through the windscreen. it only takes a minority of one idiot to kill a motorcyclist and I dont feel like being one of them. I also have a knackered right hand so couldnt grab the front brake or twist the throttle safely so I shall have to continue driving my armchair and watch for you guys in my mirrors. safe riding guys and girls. watch out for those silver volvo estates as they can accelerate quite briskly.
tinytim

Re: hello you lot.

Post by tinytim »

just to add that I was looking at learning to ride as I do like the idea and ideals of the freedom that comes with ownership of a motorcycle. how difficult can the cbt be and due to my disability, can motorcycles be adapted?
HorseyBiker

Post by HorseyBiker »

Hello and welcome, can't help with the adapting controls, but I see no reason they couldn't be? Where there's a will and all that :cheer:
'05 Silver 125 Varadero- the sensible solution

'13 990 Adventure R- gone but not forgotten

'04 Silver Varadero 125- Sold

'07 XR 125- Killed and PX'd
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Welcome aboard, yeah you can get adapted bikes :)
The National Association for Bikers with a Disability can help with advice and grants.
http://www.nabd.org.uk/
Finding somewhere with an adapted bike for a CBT may be hard, but NABD may be able to offer advice on that as well.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Believe it or not there are guys riding & racing with only one arm & no prosthetic for the missing one.

If you could opperate the throttle you could have a thumb front brake on the left side along with the clutch.
Race bikes often have a thumb rear brake on the left so easily adapted to front as the parts exist.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
bull

Post by bull »

hello
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Welcome Tim.

The question on disabled bikes has been answered.

It's amazing how many people tell me they would never have a bike because they know they would end up dead, yet there's so many of us here that are growing grey hair at a rapid rate that've been doing it since we were 16 years old.

As you rightly pointed out it only takes one idiot to kill a motorcyclist, and they are dangerous in the same way as a gun is, it's the person holding it that's the problem, only on a motorbike the idiot connects the seat to the handlebars.

If you want to look into the disabled bike thing and give it a go, it'd be great to have you along
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hello and welcome,

I spent much of my life being told that I was too wreckless for a motorbike. When I eventually told them all to bugger off and got one I found that I have become less wreckless as I can now channel my thrist for excitement and adventure.

Good luck
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
IJnoGSer

hello you lot.

Post by IJnoGSer »

Are you struggling to find a Volvo forum? What a odd introduction. I think you may just live under a bridge.......
Big Stu

Post by Big Stu »

You love to burn off small bikes in your car, ok .
You would have a bike but feel you may end up dead.

Buy a Harley laid back position would keep pressure of your wrist so you can use it on a night time :whistle: Buy leather chaps and hang out.

I started on a small 50cc Suzuki back when, never mind

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”