Long Distance Tyre question

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Dick Dastardly

Re: Long Distance Tyre question

Post by Dick Dastardly »

James,
Can't help much with the tire question but I would start on part worn tires and plan the route to change them in Brindisi or Greece. Not sure of your route but would love to see it.
Enter the difficult countries with new tires and there should be no problem getting home.

One thing I would not do is run low on tread in the scandinavian countries. Big fines abound if you do. Also watch your speed as they are very well equipped to catch motorcyclists.

Good luck, but judging by your profile you wont need it.
" Ride hard, fall softly"
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

bingo - 10k in 10days. No time for eating and sleeping. 3 pairs of boxers max since 1 pair lasts 4 days then bin. couple of t-shirts and thats it ... plenty of room to carry a spare tyre, obvious really !

no negative remarks for being creatively helpful.
iainnic

Post by iainnic »

I used Tourance on all past bikes and they gave good milage. Have the EXP on the GSA and it shreded the first in 5k mikes !! Sounds the norm as its a softer compund apparently !
-------------------------------------------

"Anne" - GSA 1200 30 Year Colours

"Rosie" - F650GS .... in red !
Kenboxertwin

Post by Kenboxertwin »

Hi James
Ive used Tourances for years on my 1150GS ive never had one last longer than 6,000 miles the exps even less and they do sqaure off quickly with motorway use.
As for slime ive used several types over the years and noticed no difference in mileage and it didnt seal a rear puncture (may have slowed the air leak though)
Sorry thats all negative info but hope it helps.

Good luck with the tyres and the trip.

Cheers Ken
Paul

Post by Paul »

snaphappy wrote:Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dont mention the N name to James
red rag to a bull :ohmy:

I had road attacks on my Vara I dont believe they would last the 10000 miles, I had 2.5 bar in and should have upped the pressure with the panniers but overlooked it. I started the tour with good amount of tread for 3000 miles on route for Dingle, by Holyhead I was on the canvas
Where is James anyway !!!!!
All this info and feedback and he has gone AWOL, probably decided to do a trial run of his trip :laugh:
I could just read one of his posts, there is nothing on telly for the next hour :laugh:
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Tyreweld worked for me. Coming off the Ferry from Ireland into Wales I thought i'd still got my wobbly sealegs but it was a puncture.
The tyre garage had a bit of cleaning to do but it got me home.
Attachments
My puncture.jpg
My puncture.jpg (61.11 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
Paul

Post by Paul »

[center]<MIA>[/center]

[center]
d7cbb0f7711de83f1879e13c.jpg
d7cbb0f7711de83f1879e13c.jpg (5.69 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
[/center]

[center]JAMES 691[/center]
Attachments

[The extension doc has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

James691

Post by James691 »

Never fear :) James is here. I had some things to do with the men in black over the past two days so I could not get any net access at all! :(

Just gone through all the stuff and very much appreciated for all the feedback.

Snaps - that may be a winner of an option mate. But I am heading over Germany next week so I will give you a bell Bro.

I need to speak to my Mech in the bike shop also about what tyres are doing waht but it looks like I'd need to prep for a tyre change no matter what.

Nick Saunders would have changed a few times on that PW run he did. I'll be looking to take out his and Kevin's record in 2012 if I can get the money to make the circumnavigation :)

I tend to get about 7 - 8k from the trail wings that come with the Vara so I may just go with what I know and hook a trye on the back - as Mul said - 4 x shorts and set of socks and your done really! :)

Nick, the wheel swap will take about 10 mins if you do it and about a week if I do it, plus lots of swearing and kicking things in the process. You are aware of my technical skill level :blush: ... If it can't be eaten, played with or fucked....piss on it and walk away. If it needs fixing....call a mate!

For every good review on one thing, be it a tyre or slime there is an equal amount of negative reviews :blink: So, suck it and see has always been my plan and I suppose there seems to be no reason to go changing now :)

I'll let you all know what I end up with and how it got on :)
Dancing in the moonlight
Paul

Post by Paul »

Good to hear from you, I was getting worried!
James691

Post by James691 »

Awwwww :blush: thanks! I'm going to be away again soon for about a week as I head off into the former USSR sunset. So not to worry mate ;)
Dancing in the moonlight

Return to “TECHNICAL”