salisbury plain and Droves ~ Easter Monday

Where you've been and what you done
Tyrant68

salisbury plain and Droves ~ Easter Monday

Post by Tyrant68 »

Huge thanks to Herman for organising an leading us all across the Salisbury plains and Shaftesbury/Ox droves . !30 miles of fast gravel/hardcore/water and mud. Six in the morning consisting of herman, ~ACP~ , Gavinski, Stewie, Orlando Orange and myself. Starting from Countess outside of Amesbury, Herman led us around Stonehenge, Larkill, Bulford and Boscombe ranges also going across Imber and over to to Imber village which only opens to the public Easter and Christmas. Had one moment of concern with red flags flying but watching the Sainsbury home delivery van coming down one of the red flagged roads led Herman to believe it was probably a red herring :laugh: Had a bit of a moment on that red hard core going. Started drifting down the camber (wind pushing didn't help!) and over shot the corner and down the bank. Made my way back up just to watch the others disappear into the distance :laugh: Whooped out sections on the Henge Roads and droves bought plenty of smiles and looking down whilst tailing Herman and seeing 121kph on the little 400's speedo on gravel was a bit :woohoo: part of the Ox drove (Tramps bog) beat all but Herman though in fairness the guys helped drag the yam through the boggy rut to the side of the water, looked back at the remaining bikes and thought *detour* :laugh: ACP checked with depth pole and exclaimed 'Bollock' deep so turning around and meeting Herman on the road further up was considered the best option Was good to meet new faces and thanks to Herman for coming back to Countess and help tp load the 400. washed the bike this morning and noticed fork oil on both sides of trailer :( have an Acerbis fork saver but having snapped two when tying down made me a bit loath to use the third :laugh: So a bit of TLC is required (yes Stewie and the swing arm!) Photos video to be sorted , tonight if my days (nights) holiday is approved B) Video of one of the byways. It doesn't show how steep sided some of the puddles are.
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Gedge

Re: salisbury plain and Droves ~ Easter Monday

Post by Gedge »

looks ideal for putting the Terra through its paces...just need some better tyres....bet it was cold once the water had seeped in...?
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Terra would be great up there.
No water seepage. Have goretex booties from army stores in boots so they stayed warm and dry all day. Trousers and jacket waterproof.
Hands , chilly :laugh:
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Hands always seem to suffer...the Terra has heated grips but not sure they would help much once soaked..............Looking forward to getting a chance to go and try it out there
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

woosies the lot of you :P :P ..that bog is the best bit Ann :woohoo: :woohoo: ...glad you enjoyed the best bits around salisbury..and those puddle are decieving..especially the mud in the bottom..

its nice to have a escape route on the plain..I normally end up in a big heep :whistle: ..
herman

Post by herman »

Good company always makes for a good days riding B) I took a few pics but it was perishing cold on the hands so for the most part they stayed on the heated grips. Tramps ruin got me again as I was the numpty in front but the rest of the riding was spot on for the bigger bikes. That Terra will have you smiling Gedge, the perimeter road would be ok on a non nobbly tread. For the most part we managed to stay dryish but I did turn round at one point to see Ty with water dripping off the peak and a muffled "hit that a bit quick ". ImageImageImageImageImage
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

The gravel bits look fine..its the mud that will cause me problems...
Its fitted with these...

The front very quickly became a slick in sticky mud...But might be okay if we get a dry spell to try out the gravel bits..Just need to get my sat nav sorted for off road........

stanbloke

Post by stanbloke »

Nice day out huh. :)

Its been a long time since i was on some of those trails and that TERRA looks like a useful bike.... ;) .
~ACP~

Post by ~ACP~ »

Yep, a really good day. Excellent Plains and lanes and Herman's first attempt at route planning on the GPS worked out great.
Hit the lanes around Stonehenge early with the great ancient monument barely warranting a glance let alone a photo these days we were on to the whoops where Orlando emerged soaked from head to toe.
Was bloody freezing out I had a bit of trouble regulating body temp properly. With teeth chattering after the long ride around the perimeter road decided the extra layer was coming out of the backpack, only to be sweating buckets once in the confines of the woods and the narrow, technical sections of the droves.

Spot the Aprilia

Gavinski's tool tube doesn't like where it's mounted and tries to make a break for freedom

Only to end up stashed in Stewie's voluminous backpack

On to the start of Ox Drove and Tramp's ruin. It was definitely at least bollock deep and nobody fancied an engine full of water so Herman takes to the escape road.

Except it's more of a trap and the XTR bottoms out in the rut and requires some manhandling through

The patient onlookers await their turn

So a detour around is required to continue down Ox which brings us back around to the bottom of Old Shaftesbury Drove.

Good momentum is required up the hill and some air is possible over the speed bumps

Stewie and his magic carpet / NEVER stand up riding style

This time Gavinski's numberplate decides it wants to break free so Stewie is called upon for repairs again

And to the end of another successful and thoroughly enjoyable ABR ride-out

......... and nobody decided they needed a little lie down despite Tyrant trying to throw herself off the road.

Until we meet again amigos B)
phil.hughes1983

Post by phil.hughes1983 »

I wish I had come over and ridden over there with you lot again. Hopefully soon before it all dries out in our blistering summer we are going to have

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”