Advanced Riding

Bikers and riding
b1kerb0y

Advanced Riding

Post by b1kerb0y »

Tomorrow I have my 1st assessment with a ROSPA tutor tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait!
Anyone else ROSPA trained or going through it at the moment? Any tips for me?
This is something that I have wanted to do for quite a long time!
If ignorance is bliss, why aren´t more people happy?????

KTM 990 Adventure :D
Steve T

Re: Advanced Riding

Post by Steve T »

Nearest ROSPA group up here is in Glasgow . . . . some 4 hours away.

A bikers section of the local IAM group was only formed in 2004, so I went to them as soon as they formed.

Any advanced training is worth doing - every day's a learning day

Relax, enjoy and be prepared to learn lots you never ever thought about

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

b1kerb0y wrote:Tomorrow I have my 1st assessment with a ROSPA tutor tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait!
Anyone else ROSPA trained or going through it at the moment? Any tips for me?
This is something that I have wanted to do for quite a long time!
I'm the proud owner of a RoSPA "Gold" Pass.

It's a great thing to do and once you pass you get huge discounts on your insurance.

My biggest tips would be to listen to your observer, relax and practice during each run. Be prepared to have your riding style totally tore apart though and then watch the blocks be put back in a much better order.

Enjoy the course and good luck.
devon john

Post by devon john »

as an senior Rospa observer ,
keep an open mind and if you dont understand ask!!
keep to the speed limits
ENJOY!!!!!
If you find you dont like or clash with your observer ask the training officer if you could have someone else,

its a good course and worth doing and with some training you might want to help out your self as a observer.

johnh
Bada bing

Post by Bada bing »

I have gone through the process and the key thing is ...enjoy it
b1kerb0y

Post by b1kerb0y »

Thanks everyone for your input.

I hope to eventually achieve a gold rating and yes John one day go to the next step and become an observer.

Anything to improve my riding and become safer :)
If ignorance is bliss, why aren´t more people happy?????

KTM 990 Adventure :D
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Remember that it's like any other course and exam. You need to pass the test, after you've done that you can ride however the hell you want. Don't get riled if you are being asked to do things you don't see the point in because 'your examiner will want to see it done that way'.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
wayne roome

Post by wayne roome »

Breathe properly! amazing how many people tense up and technically stop breathing!!!!! My advice would be to ride normally and then listen and put into place the observers comments. Simple things like putting you foot down at a stop sign, making progess around roundabouts with planning of the journey etc.
I went straight to test without any assessment so if you are a decent rider you wont have anything to worry about, only things to gain.

Personally i found IAM better but i did assessment training with them but it is like any walk of life we al have opinions. Personalities do come into as well.

Also the quality of riding is subjective. To one you maybe be good, to another you maybe very good.

All in all you are doing the correct thing by getting more information and assessment which will result in a safer, progressive rider.

i tip my hat off to you sir.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

All the best for tomorrow b1kerb0y - let us know how you got on please.

This is something I need to get involved in as I don't seem to be improving with age, unlike a fine wine!

Paul
dave.c.

Post by dave.c. »

I was a senior observer with the IAM for 9 years.
Listern to your observer and if you do'nt understand ask him or her to explain it again.
One of the most importent parts of advanced riding is observations and forward planning,
the futher you look ahead the earlier you will see any hazards and the more time you will have to form a plan to deal with it.
Just enjoy it and learn in your own time.

i would recomend any form of advanced training to anyone.
you will be amazed at what you learn and how simple it is ounce you have done it.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”