Cheers
Steve
MarkN

Re: ABR Island Rally

Post by MarkN »

tea007 wrote:If not off round the world somewhere put me down
Cheers
Steve
Steve, at the time, there may be a few of us around here going, if we are all going, fancy a wingman?
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Can I stick my name down for this please Mike?
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
Tenere Mart

Post by Tenere Mart »

Hi Mike Put us down please .....
MART
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

right i am really interested in this one,could be my first abr rally,but never ever took my bike off road and this might sound like a bit of a daft question would i need knobblys on my bike?got a gs1200 low being a short arse,but noway can get both feet down alright on tarmac no problem but slippy sand and mud ???.bet i sound like a right puff but as i said never been of road.cheers tony
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

anthony29040 wrote:right i am really interested in this one,could be my first abr rally,but never ever took my bike off road and this might sound like a bit of a daft question would i need knobblys on my bike?got a gs1200 low being a short arse,but noway can get both feet down alright on tarmac no problem but slippy sand and mud ???.bet i sound like a right puff but as i said never been of road.cheers tony
Hi Tony,

As long as you haven't got road tyres on and have Tourance's, Anakee's etc you should be fine. Riding in hard, wet sand is easier than wet mud as it doesn't move around so much. Just look ahead, keep in a low ish gear and a slightly positive throttle, relax and you'll be fine.

Cheers
Mark
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

MarkN wrote:
anthony29040 wrote:right i am really interested in this one,could be my first abr rally,but never ever took my bike off road and this might sound like a bit of a daft question would i need knobblys on my bike?got a gs1200 low being a short arse,but noway can get both feet down alright on tarmac no problem but slippy sand and mud ???.bet i sound like a right puff but as i said never been of road.cheers tony
Hi Tony,

As long as you haven't got road tyres on and have Tourance's, Anakee's etc you should be fine. Riding in hard, wet sand is easier than wet mud as it doesn't move around so much. Just look ahead, keep in a low ish gear and a slightly positive throttle, relax and you'll be fine.

Cheers
Mark
It will be possible with road tyres. Take a lot of care and waddle the bike if needed passed the first 100 meters. When on hard compact sand as long as you don't change direction much, eg go straight, there won't be a problem. Plenty went on road tyres last time.

There will be lots there to help. Between us we will get all bikes across and back.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

ok all sounds fine but was does waddle the bike mean,told you i was a novice of roader :(
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

anthony29040 wrote:ok all sounds fine but was does waddle the bike mean,told you i was a novice of roader :(
Waddle means to keep your feet down, and walk the bike while sat on it. I see this might be hard to do if you have a small inside leg etc, so, what you can do if you want to, is walk beside the bike but leave the bike in gear and use the engine to walk it through.

Remember, the best option is always the easiest option.

If all else fails, ask someone to ride it for you. The idea is to get there as a team not as a group of individuals.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

Right all makes sense now,i am sure i will be allright i just like to get advice form people that know what they are doing,pretty sure i will be there going to ask my mate if he wants to do it,if not could come on my own or tag up with someone.thanks for all the help am 99.99999999% i will see you all there cheers tony

Return to “June 2013 - ABR 'Island' Rally at Piel Island 1st - 2nd June”