XTZ Qs

The Things We Ride
PHILinFRANCE

XTZ Qs

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Hi could any of you learned lot help ?????

There's a XTZ 660 for sale over here on a 2010 plate with 13,000 kms on it for €3500 , new tyres ally bash plate and other bits and bobs , BUT he's got a problem with the battery not charging !!!! he's put a new one on but it the same !!!
Can anyone shed a light on this and what it'd cost to fix..........ish

I think it's a bloody good price and only 2hrs away !!! what are you thoughts

Cheers Phil
Tramp

Re: XTZ Qs

Post by Tramp »

Oo err ..got some stilletoo's too ;)

redbikerjohn off here or maybe on the xtz forum..sounds like a charger problem..
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Yep i thought so , do bikes have alternators ?????
gebrauchtwagen83

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

Which bike is it? My old one was 3500 and the fog lights were draining the battery. probably not that one though
Lee

Post by Lee »

Most likely the reg/rec fault that a few XTZ's have suffered from – the connectors inside plug on top of the reg/rec corrodes. Yamaha warranty fix in the past has been to replace loom and reg/rec.

If it were mine and it's out of warranty, I'd probably replace the reg/rec with a more reliable one, and/or solder the connections if the plug on the loom is already fubar.

I never had a problem with mine, nor have most, but failure cases have often been as a result for the plug either not being connected properly at the original PDI, or not being reconnected properly later (and ally bash plate, if aftermarket, might mean he's had to unplug at some point)

It might be he doesn't know that's what's wrong as the plug needs the plastic panel over the coolant bottle removing in order to gain access.

No idea on cost to fix I'm afraid – if that's the problem and you elected to get creative and replace with a different reg/rec then I'd imagine not a lot of money. If it's something else (like an alternator failure – not that I'm aware of any of those), then it could get quite pricey.

Check out the XT660.com (you'll have to register for free first) – it's full of discussions about this very problem and lots of preventative advice, and fixes.
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I assume it's the stator and rectifier, sorry I can't help anymore than that as I don't know that model of bike. Done mine on the Tiger and alls well now, if you need bits priced etc let me know mate. cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Cheers for the replay guys , got to be a good price at that as the book over here is €4600

Phil
Wide

Post by Wide »

Guess its not much that cant be fixed, and I dont think you will regret owning one... they really are a great bike
Phil

Post by Phil »

Lee wrote:Most likely the reg/rec fault that a few XTZ's have suffered from – the connectors inside plug on top of the reg/rec corrodes. Yamaha warranty fix in the past has been to replace loom and reg/rec.

If it were mine and it's out of warranty, I'd probably replace the reg/rec with a more reliable one, and/or solder the connections if the plug on the loom is already fubar.

I never had a problem with mine, nor have most, but failure cases have often been as a result for the plug either not being connected properly at the original PDI, or not being reconnected properly later (and ally bash plate, if aftermarket, might mean he's had to unplug at some point)

It might be he doesn't know that's what's wrong as the plug needs the plastic panel over the coolant bottle removing in order to gain access.

No idea on cost to fix I'm afraid – if that's the problem and you elected to get creative and replace with a different reg/rec then I'd imagine not a lot of money. If it's something else (like an alternator failure – not that I'm aware of any of those), then it could get quite pricey.
yeah will be the Rec. as said before most of the time its the plug that corrodes. ive zip tied a rubber boot cover over mine, plus made a plate that goes over the front of the Rec but with a difference....its higher so shields the plug.

Mine packed up a while ago but it wasnt the plug, the actual Rec unit had died. cost £35 for new third party item.

You can up rate the feed and the unit, theres a company that sell the kits. Lots of info on xt660.com

great bikes for the money, crash well too :laugh: (trust me)
2 wheeled tourist

Post by 2 wheeled tourist »

I had a problem this summer with the Hornet 600 and the bike having some kind of power drain, the bike had a good going over at Honda. The Reg/Rec et al was, too, considered a problem/concern, but, in the end, it turned out to be the bikes battery, which was some six years of age...

I'd ask at www.xt660.com for more deeper advice :unsure:
Hey! I'm a tourist. And that's how I like it.

Return to “BIKES”