Hello from snowy Scarborough

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
nathanthepostman

Hello from snowy Scarborough

Post by nathanthepostman »

Just wanted to say hello from a cold and snowy Scarborough and thank Alun for setting up a site for British adventure riders. It was much needed.

For what it's worth I've not long since finished a ride from Sydney to London and if I can help anyone with information on that route - Carnet, visas, shipping etc - just let me know and I'll do what I can.

In the meantime I'm trying to ride a C90 in the snow and not having much joy!

See you on the road
Nathan
Mr Toad

Re: Hello from snowy Scarborough

Post by Mr Toad »

Pleased to be the first to welcome you to the site. Look forward to seeing some pics or read your trip report. :)
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
nathanthepostman

Thanks Mr Toad, I tried and failed miserably to upload some pics early but let me have another go...
p23.jpg
p23.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
p23.jpg
p23.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
d2.jpg
d2.jpg (32.34 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
13.jpg
13.jpg (80.39 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
125.jpg
125.jpg (86.45 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
115.jpg
115.jpg (77.13 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
1099.jpg
1099.jpg (63.19 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
1167.jpg
1167.jpg (95.08 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
1196.jpg
1196.jpg (63.58 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
1134.jpg
1134.jpg (111.35 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
144.jpg
144.jpg (130.74 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
[attachment=-1]144.jpg[/attachment]

the route was up from Sydney to Darwin, then to East Timor, Indonesia, Malaysia to Thailand, then up and over to Nepal. From Nepal down into India, across to Pakistan, up to China and into Kyrgyzstan. Then Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine and through Europe to home. Like I say, if I can help with any info on this route just let me know.
Nathan
Attachments
m40.jpg
m40.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Alun

Post by Alun »

Hi Nathan and welcome to the ABR forum. Great pics and a great story.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Hi Nathan

Welcome to the forum , great pictures (of hot places) .. mmmmm

cheers LWR
nathanthepostman

Thanks gents. Yeah I was looking at the pictures myself and thinking that looks much preferable than the view outside the window. It's a dangerous thing looking at old pics. But I guess it gives incentive to make some new ones.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

what an adventure!
Would make fantastic reading in ABR #3

Welcome

Ade
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Welcome to the site mate. Is there 2 bikes in those pictures? The bike pictured in front of the bridge seems to have no tank, but in the rest of them it does. :huh:
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Welcome to ABR Nathan, i read your adventure on Advrider some time ago, whens the next one? :)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
nathanthepostman

Good spot Craig. The bike without the tank is the bike I set off on which sadly didn't make it past Brisbane - the bottom end went on it. Being in a bit of a rush for the boat out of Darwin before my visa ran out I chopped it in for another bike rather have it rebuilt. (she was pretty knackered anyway)

It was this second bike that had the extra tank, plus some decent panniers and a tent rack on the front. But other than that they were both the same type of bike - a Honda CT110 - which is a bit like a toughened up C90, but with 105cc and a four-speed auto.

The Australian Post service use them for delivering the mail and then after 3 years they get sent to auction. The second bike had 40,000 kays on it when I left Brisbane. She now has 75,000 and having limped back all the way from Kazakhstan is now in need of a rebuild. She won't even start.

But it was a perfect bike for the trip. A bit slow on the Autobahn and on the highways of Thailand, but for the rest of it, even over the Himalayas along the KKH she was brilliant. All she needed in 35,000 kays was a new front sprocket and gasket. Spot on.

And hiya TreadTrader, yeah it is going back a while now, just over a year since I got back. We've kinda got another adventure planned. I've got a book coming out about the trip in Australia in Feb and because it might never see the light of day here I'm keen to go back... and take Dot - the bike - back as well. Ideally I'd have loved to have ridden the Trans-Am back to make it full circle but I've neither the money nor conviction at the minute so I thought I might fly there, then save up, see how I feel and do the Americas another time. But I reckon old Dot has got another adventure left in her yet. Maybe we'll stop when she hits 100k.

Like I say, nice that there's a forum for UK riders now.

Here's the route;

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”