Cook, or just heat water?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: Cook, or just heat water?

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

gbags wrote:I love all these opinions, especially curries, beer and red wine but where the hell do half of you stash the kit?

Folding barbies, multi ring stoves, multiple pots, arm chairs? I even saw a cook set with fitting for full size gas bottle!

For me it's one pot cooking. Savoury rice, curry powder, fruit and fresh bread every day.
Tea and coffee, fresh milk in a coke bottle. Always make two brews, one to drink, one to go into a little half pint flask for the next break.

Pub for beers and email, then the big problem, needing a pee during the night.

Ok last things first.....you buy a bottle of water...that's your fresh water store on your trip. Or on a wet night saves you going out for a pee.

If you are in the wild it can be fun. The kids were amazed at how we could bbq. All you have to bring is a wire rack, like the wire mesh on your grill pan. It will lay flat in the bottom of your top box. Aluminium foil folded over will travel with you. All you do is get charcoal on your way. When you get somewhere get some stones or scoop out earth to make a bowl shape, lay in the foil to line it and put in your charcoal. The wire rack goes on top and you have a bbq. Next morning the ash and foil will roll up and put in a small bag for disposal. No mess left behind.

But these folding bbqs are cheap....

However camped in Doolin at Easter a very nice group of guys were down from Dromara country, 6 of them. With a disposable bbq picked up along the way they set up a serious cooked breakfast, clearly well planned, they all ate well and were gone early for their ride.

And I always bring a chair. How else can you enjoy your fresh bread, fresh milk tea and your beer other than sitting in a comfortable chair? Halfords best, 2 for €18. Even better, after 4 beers you can fall asleep in it.

Packing motto: " never pack air".
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
gbags

Post by gbags »

Old Mother Gbags likes to ride pillion so that would require two chairs, which becomes bulky on an 800 GS.

It was you I think who carries your own wine glass. I applaud comfort and a touch of style it's just that, two up, compromises sometimes have to be made. I suppose we could leave the port decanter at home? :whistle:
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I was camping 2 years ago in Doolin in Clare.

A few friends had come over from the UK for 10 days camping. We got one wet night and day and on the morning it was still raining a bit. That was when I discovered one of the guys had a telescopic fishing rod on his bike. Now we have been together about 4 days at this point and this little matter had not been noted or observed.

What it meant was that instead of us heading out for lunch he went out on the rocks and came back with enough fish to fill us for the day, filleted where he caught it so it was promptly cooked and enjoyed. It doesn't get any fresher than that.

Now am I right in thinking you have panniers you can use as seats?
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
gbags

Post by gbags »

I do, yes. I have hard and soft panniers and like them both. Hard are good seats or table.

I recently came back from the Picos where they have sparkling rivers and I vowed that next trip I'd take a little rod and reel.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:
Ok last things first.....you buy a bottle of water...that's your fresh water store on your trip. Or on a wet night saves you going out for a pee.

Mornin' I don't mean to be personal but how do you get the Old Man down the neck of a conventional water bottle? - Or are you very, very good at darts! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:I was camping 2 years ago in Doolin in Clare.

A few friends had come over from the UK for 10 days camping. We got one wet night and day and on the morning it was still raining a bit. That was when I discovered one of the guys had a telescopic fishing rod on his bike. Now we have been together about 4 days at this point and this little matter had not been noted or observed.

What it meant was that instead of us heading out for lunch he went out on the rocks and came back with enough fish to fill us for the day, filleted where he caught it so it was promptly cooked and enjoyed. It doesn't get any fresher than that.

Now am I right in thinking you have panniers you can use as seats?
Ha ha, it's good to have friends! (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Speedofile

Post by Speedofile »

I must say that in the past I have struggled to find camp sites that promote making fires. The UK seems to have a Health and Safety hard-on about this kind of thing so it can make it a bit tricky!

Being a South African I like to "Braai" when camping and it causes you to search for compact alternatives when buying kit for your bike. The little 3 legged chairs they sell in camping shops are great for taking on the bike and if you really have a good look arounds you can find some very clever cooking gear for sale!
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

The Spanish Biker wrote:

Mornin' I don't mean to be personal but how do you get the Old Man down the neck of a conventional water bottle? - Or are you very, very good at darts! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
I don't want to brag but I always buy a wide necked bottle of juice.Oasis or Lucozade usually. ;)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

sprintster wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:

Regs

Simon
I don't want to brag but I always buy a wide necked bottle of juice.Oasis or Lucozade usually. ;)
That should go down well! :evil:

andrew882

Post by andrew882 »

gbags wrote:
...I suppose we could leave the port decanter at home? :whistle:
Bloody hell man, we're not savages.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”