what have you done to your bike today??

The Things We Ride
daveuprite

Re: what have you done to your bike today??

Post by daveuprite »

Actually spent some time on the Beta yesterday and today:

Lots of bodge repairs after the multiple crashes at Phil's last weekend.
Changed engine and gear box oil, new filter etc.
Bled and adjusted hydraulic clutch
Bled front brake
Fitted new brake pads
Changed chain back to the O-ring one I prefer.
Fitted new L/H side handguard and made several handlebar adjustments - moved the bars forward one notch too.
Lots of tinkering with better bolts, washers and fitment of fairings etc
Ordered up new front and rear wheel bearings and a fresh Razorback rear tyre - yum yum.

All the spannering was made so much easier with the bike up on the new Viking Long Bench. It works !

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Washed and polished the bike, took some photo's then :o ............ changed my mind :roll: .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

CRF250 Rally today.

Chain and sprocket change which I've never done before. First I cut the chain off with an angle grinder which was fairly easy. Then the front sprocket and finally the rear which was a tricky as I was expecting. Before I got the hang of it I damaged one of the bolts :(
MVIMG_20200614_122855.jpg
MVIMG_20200614_122855.jpg (196.97 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
Neither really needed changing as they still looked good as the new ones. Then is started raining so I had to build a shelter around me...
IMG_20200614_130434.jpg
IMG_20200614_130434.jpg (185.59 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
The new sprockets went on easy but the chain was a quite tricky. A quick scan on you tube showed me a trick with a M8 nut and some mole grips and the job was a goodun. Getting the wheel back on I realised that one of the axle sliders was missing so spent about 20 mins in the grass searching with a magnet... Eventually spotted it attached to the axle....
IMG_20200614_131236.jpg
IMG_20200614_131236.jpg (183.75 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
Test drive and the bike now feels much smoother on the road.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Nice one Brenden, like you I've cut off old endless chains with a grinder in the past before investing in a proper chain tool which will push out the chain pins ( grind heads off first ) and push the new side plates on properly and rivet new one if you don't want split link.

Something like this
https://ebay.us/bTEBrU
Can't vouch for quality of that particular example but looks similar to one I bought many years ago.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

I've taken off all the 'trail touring' ( don't like the 'adventure' word ) bits from my DRZ and put it back to bog standard. Given it a thorough clean up, regreased swingarm pivots and linkage, fresh fork oil, new throttle cables, front disc and pads and replaced leaky output shaft seal and spacer...oh and put on new plastics too... all with the intention of selling it .

Took it out for a quick spin and took some photos for the ad.

P1210678.jpg
P1210678.jpg (176.8 KiB) Viewed 2597 times

This is back in February
P1210498.jpg
P1210498.jpg (126.99 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:14 pm Actually spent some time on the Beta yesterday and today:

Lots of bodge repairs after the multiple crashes at Phil's last weekend.
Changed engine and gear box oil, new filter etc.
Bled and adjusted hydraulic clutch
Bled front brake
Fitted new brake pads
Changed chain back to the O-ring one I prefer.
Fitted new L/H side handguard and made several handlebar adjustments - moved the bars forward one notch too.
Lots of tinkering with better bolts, washers and fitment of fairings etc
Ordered up new front and rear wheel bearings and a fresh Razorback rear tyre - yum yum.

All the spannering was made so much easier with the bike up on the new Viking Long Bench. It works !

Blimey Dave.....that must of been a fairly big bang on the head you received... :o :D
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Looking good there Nick, what are you going to change her for ?
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

chunky butt wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:10 pm Looking good there Nick, what are you going to change her for ?
Thinking of going bit smaller, I'd like a TTR 250 but problem is finding a decent one now, they're all getting on a bit.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brenhden wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:58 am A quick scan on you tube showed me a trick with a M8 nut and some mole grips and the job was a goodun.
That's exactly what i do Brenhden. Two flat metal plates - one on the pins, the other over the nut which you sit on the link plate between the two pins on the other side - then squeeze with mole grips. ,But you've got to watch you don't squeeze too hard and overtighten the link - which leaves it as a stiff link along the line. It's a good trick.

About a year ago I changed to an old school non-o-ring chain with a split link - because it's easier to get on and off, or for repairs on the trail. Didn't like it. It dried out more quickly and needed more lube, it was louder and sounded clanky when it got even a little bit loose, and it just generally felt rough. The O-rings clearly make a difference and are worth the extra money IMO. Has anyone on here fitted an X-ring chain to a dirt bike? Is that even better?
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

daveuprite wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:27 pm ...
The O-rings clearly make a difference and are worth the extra money IMO. Has anyone on here fitted an X-ring chain to a dirt bike? Is that even better?
As far as I am aware, ktm fit did x ring vt2 as std
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler

Return to “BIKES”