bleedin french laws

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Redmurty

Re: bleedin french laws

Post by Redmurty »

Stewie wrote:
Redmurty wrote: 6 of us walk into a bar in Germany I say to the barman "Drie beer bitte" (sp?) he gave me an odd look then pulled 3 beers he hands then over and I say again "drie beer Bitte" to which he starts laughing and said in perfect English "why did you not ask for 6 beers" I replied " couldn't remember the number" he laughed more and gave me a freeby (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
:laugh: :laugh: Out of all the numbers, I would of thought 6 would be the one people remembered ;) :laugh: (thumbs)
try and get a female Kiwi to say 6 (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
john-g wrote:Just subscribed to "The Spanish Biker" - great site, reminded me of two recent tours of Spain and why I will be touring there again next year.
Thanks for the info and effort that you have put into it.
Thanks matey, it's alway heartening to get positive feedback!

Back on language issues - re Billy's tyre issue. Beware of slang or idiosyncratic use. In Spain the term 'rueda' (wheel) is also used as a synonym for tyres - it took me years of wondering why so many second hand bikes seemed to be advertised with new 'wheels' the roads/trails aren't that bad! (thumbs)

Ray's story also reminds me of a time years ago when I had to change my holiday at short notice - an interview for a job in Matla and interviewed by the Ambassador now less - didn't get it! - leaving Mrs S to drive to Spain all on her lonesome, she speaks German and Spanish but French absolute zero. But as I said, if you walk into a hotel reception you're not going to ask for an elephant gun* now are you!

Regs

Simon
* well maybe if you were in Zimbabwe, Tanzania, etc. :whistle:
unless your with SteveH and the receptionist asks you if you want a double :whistle: :kiss: :blush: deep joy laughs all round :silly:

cheers Spud ;)

Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

BigBashBonanza wrote:.....
Your days from B.A.O.R perhaps Ray.....? ;)
Hell Yeah, Ubique. :woohoo: Honi Soit qui mal y pance. :evil:

300 years of "The Gentlemen of the Royal Engineers." (thumbs)
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

I've visited over 40 countries and always learn a few words /sentences in the local lingo even if I'm only passing through. makes a massive difference and is so easy particularly in today's age when you can download a small mp3 file onto your phone for reference if needed. I have never found the French "to be grumpy" having visited the beautiful country on and off for almost 50 yrs now. I have however found many English to be ignorant rude and to be honest an embarrassment . Yes..i'm English but often not proud to be when abroad.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Redmurty wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
john-g wrote:Just subscribed to "The Spanish Biker" - great site, reminded me of two recent tours of Spain and why I will be touring there again next year.

Back on language issues - re Billy's tyre issue. Beware of slang or idiosyncratic use. In Spain the term 'rueda' (wheel) is also used as a synonym for tyres - it took me years of wondering why so many second hand bikes seemed to be advertised with new 'wheels' the roads/trails aren't that bad! (thumbs)

Ray's story also reminds me of a time years ago when I had to change my holiday at short notice - an interview for a job in Matla and interviewed by the Ambassador now less - didn't get it! - leaving Mrs S to drive to Spain all on her lonesome, she speaks German and Spanish but French absolute zero. But as I said, if you walk into a hotel reception you're not going to ask for an elephant gun* now are you!

Regs

Simon
unless your with SteveH and the receptionist asks you if you want a double :whistle: :kiss: :blush: deep joy laughs all round :silly:

cheers Spud ;)
Or you're in a Spanish reception with Moto Al where you're his wifey! (thumbs)

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
Redmurty wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:

Regs

Simon

cheers Spud ;)
Or you're in a Spanish reception with Moto Al where you're his wifey! (thumbs)

:blush: :blush: :blush: was trying to erase that horrendous thought from my already addled and over loaded brain :pinch:

thought it was very progressive for a predominately catholic country :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)

daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Tried learning a bit of Chinese whilst working out there. Never got any further than very basic hello / how are you / yes / no / ordering a drink / food. The usual stuff. BUT, we had a bundle of laughs in the office with me being the butt of the jokes. Try getting you head around chatting up a girl in Chinese. It's a wonder they ever get married and start a family. :unsure:
Mind you, made lots of friends, had fun and lots of good memories. (thumbs)
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

daytona-supersport wrote:..... Try getting you head around chatting up a girl in Chinese. It's a wonder they ever get married and start a family. :unsure:
.....(thumbs)
I think they get round that problem by teaching the males the same language from an early age. :whistle:

Return to “THE PUB”