Range

The Things We Ride
Redmurty

Re: Range

Post by Redmurty »

It seems from the majority of answers that people just want security and ease rather than an actual requirement for a big range from a new big bike.

I think that pretty much sums it up Mike (thumbs) ;)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

Me and my touring mates have an unwritten rule that we don't do any more than 150 before stopping for a coffee and a fag etc. On a tour in Europe I don't think you need anymore than that however I'm thinking of commuting to work all year round in winter so would ideally like a bike with a bigger range.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
robson

Post by robson »

waynecoluk wrote:Me and my touring mates have an unwritten rule that we don't do any more than 150 before stopping for a coffee and a fag etc. .
well, you can stop for a coffee in the middle of the Sahara but no fuel there.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

OnHellas wrote:I always thought that it was 'the Boondocks' ?
It was indeed although not a proper noun so no need for the capital 'B' - for me The Boondocks song takes me back to Oxford Polytechnic concert hall sometime about 1976!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

waynecoluk wrote:Me and my touring mates have an unwritten rule that we don't do any more than 150 before stopping for a coffee and a fag etc. On a tour in Europe I don't think you need anymore than that however I'm thinking of commuting to work all year round in winter so would ideally like a bike with a bigger range.
when where going down to spain with jan on the back, we have a rule of 100 miles or one hour ha ha ha,

100 miles that will never happen

steve
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

robson wrote:
waynecoluk wrote:Me and my touring mates have an unwritten rule that we don't do any more than 150 before stopping for a coffee and a fag etc. .
well, you can stop for a coffee in the middle of the Sahara but no fuel there.
In my experience of the Sahara (26 years of visits) there is fuel all over unless you are bang in the middle and you wouldnt be able to get there without fuel dumps anyway (thumbs)
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

It's far less stressful to have extra on tap especially in Europe which unlike the UK is not 24/7 retail.
You also have to rely on credit card machines @ some stations which don't always work.
Once a year I need 300miles + for a rally stint in the picos mountains. It's possible without stopping with a big tank fitted.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

you dont need big tanks............just a length of hose and a mate with a big tank :P :laugh: ...or a hammer and a big nail and something to catch the fuel in :woohoo: :whistle:
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Tramp wrote:you dont need big tanks............just a length of hose and a mate with a big tank :P :laugh: ...or a hammer and a big nail and something to catch the fuel in :woohoo: :whistle:
Ooh you are a one Russ - hence Mr X's bikes always being called the Amoco Cadiz :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
steve172

Post by steve172 »

Ultimately, any bike within the "adventure" category should really have a long range as standard, as know one knows how far off the beaten track an adventure may take you.

Sure, not everyone really needs it, but you should be able to buy any "adventure" bike by any brand and be able to ride to the back of beyond without worrying about your fuel. Whether this is achieved through low fuel consumption or a big tank, or both, it should really be catered for within this category by all manufacturers.

Perhaps its dependant on how manufactures define "long range".

Return to “BIKES”