Ride Out - 27 Feb - Snowdonia

James691

Re: Ride Out - 27 Feb - Snowdonia

Post by James691 »

Many thanks for another great ride out Gents!

Great company, wonderful roads, a blue sky and stomach full of Welsh breakfast :)

Comming out of Liverpool it was dark clouds and spotting rain but onward down the road. I reach Wrexham and I was wiping the rain from my visor faster than a lunatic waving from a barred window! It did cross my mind that I would get there and be the only one, having not checked on the forum. It had far too long since I was out on the single track roads anyway.

Pulling into the service station and greeted with the lights of several adventure bikes was great to see. ABR stickers on show gave that warm feeling that this was not another group and I was indeed going solo.

And so it was a smoke and a chat, putting names to faces and bikes to pictures. In truth I knew it was the North West Riders 100 yards down the road as Big Dave was there and he does live up to his name!

We had made the choice to head up to the Ponderosa on Horse Shoe Pass for a full breakfast, taking in the back road and some ford fun! Alas the back road was closed off, not to worry as the rain had stopped but the wind had picked up as we made our way up 400m above sea level.

We took over a line of parking at the Ponda' mixing in with a few other riders that had made the pilgrimage. Big Breakfast for about a fiver, with a hot coffee.....once you find a coffee machine working.

The gang warmed and fed I had a smoke outside with Mr Minky and we spoke about a route over to Bwetsy'. There was a few of the lads that had roads in mind and looking over the best route we made a plan. We wanted to keep off the top moors due to the now blustering winds and cut down the valley side and on to some single tracks.

Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 019.JPG
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 019.JPG (49.19 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 021.JPG
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 021.JPG (61.36 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
We mulled around for a moment for a group picture that I think Mul took? Then watching a rider over reving and losing the arse end while still in the car park we had a chat. Well, I say chat, we were in fact starting a book if he would make it down the HS in once piece! But alas the Bandit took off in the other direction.

We pulled out in formation and the trail of lights filled the road as the sun began to break last the clouds. Mr Minky took lead and I moved in second as Big Dave took up the rear - well that was the plan and I assume BD had the tail end.

We cut up a few twisting roads with distressed tarmac (The patchy shitty stuff with the ruts in it) before we hit some road works and slow trwal skill came in. Looking in the wing mirror of my Vara I could see that not one rider had a foot on the floor at 2mph and balance ran the length of the little convoy.

Back on the roads to Bala and able to open up again before we come to the back single road we wanted. CLOSED again but this time we had a chat and me, JK and Minky came to the conclusion that if it was REALLY closed as opposed to jus t closed for cars (Biker Logic at it's best) then we would just come back down. We shared the idea and the lads were all up for it with much nodding of lids and revs of approval. My kind of people indeed! :)

The road climed, twisted and dipped with a mix of patches and loose chippings. I took rear gaurd as I felt a twinge that I should take the position having called the ride and should anyone have a spill I was a trained medic at the end of the day. If the bike was bust then the rider was fooked as I know as much about the internal combustion engine as I do about the female emotional state of mind. It works well as I love women as much as I love my bikes, I just don't understand how either work!

There was no issue at all with the road, apart from minor road works but if heavy plant was on the road then cars would not be able to make it, so I assume that is why it was closed! Either way it did not stop the NW Group from having great fun on the pass.

The browns of the Ponda' had given way fully now to lush greens and pale blue skies dotted with fluffed white clouds and Bwesty' was getting closer and closer - all too quickly it was over.

Making out way donwn the main street to park up over the bridge. I had thought that we would pull in on the right to an old biker cafe. I spoke to Mr Minky about the stop point and it seems the counsil in their wisdom had paved the area and stopped BIKES!! As a moral point Mr Minky would not set tread on there again - I must admit I agreed with him, such a loss but the loss is their own.

The sun was fully out and warming a sea of bald or balding heads in the car park over the small bridge next to the tea rooms. Old slate gray roofs and red brick shone along as playing Blue Tits swooped in the nesstle of trees above the bikes.

A mingle and a chat before some pictures were taken and a few of us had to jet off. I had to get back for the kids, Big Dave had to get to work and Mul had to get back to Carlise. I did stick around while the next leg of the run was planned and I looked a beauty! Two lakes and 2 back roads that would lead the group back towards the homeland...gutted

Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 022.JPG
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 022.JPG (120.56 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 023.JPG
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 023.JPG (91.67 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 027.JPG
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 027.JPG (61.18 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

So I made my way with a wave and a beep, off first to get a picture of my bike at the Snowdonia National Park Centre. It was only 1/2 a mile down the road and doing the same as LMG (no, not running guns and sex slaves out of Moldova) I rode up the no entry path to get my shots in.

Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 029.JPG
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 029.JPG (134.75 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 031.JPG
Snowdnoia ABR North West Ride feb 2011 031.JPG (127.97 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Then it was off towards home, the sat nav set and the throttle open I made my way past the waterfalls and lush green hills of Wales back to the M53 and the Free (for bikes) Mersey Tunnel.

My bike parked up, washed (jet spray, chain lube applied and smothed down it was and end to another ride out. I'm already looking forward to the next one but as I am away to the Ukraine in March I fear it may be a while before I am zipping around the back roads of some National Park :( Still, I am sure there will be rides in March folks so keep them coming and thank you for a wonderful day. The buzz of just 9 Riders on a wet morning was glorious - I can only imagine the laugh we are going to have at the Boil Rally when 70 of us get together........what you ride at ABR is not important.......the fact that you ride is.

My thanks

James691
Dancing in the moonlight
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

JimboF650 wrote:I ended up going straight to Betws. Got there about 11.30 parked up in the bike bays opposite the train station entrance, hung around a while, stroll around the shops (I am now the proud owner of a Thermarest NeoAir, it was in the sale, can't resist a bargain. Think there's a thread regards it, i'll post a review when I get around to using it). Left about 1.30pm - was sure you guys would have been about. Shame :huh:

Did you have a good ride?
P8080039_2011-02-27.JPG
did have a good ride cheers how much was the neo n what size please
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

Cheers for the write up James. REALLY had to do the family thing today...but the mind was in Wales. ;)
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

A super write up James, thank you.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
James691

Post by James691 »

Sorry we missed you Jimbo! I'm not sure what time we got there but I think I set off about 1pm! Hope to catch you next time buddy :)

Mick - Very welcome my friend! I know what you mean lol I wanted to do the second leg but just had to get back to the kids, only had 2 days off on the shifts of late and starting to forget what they look like! Catch you on the next one with any luck mate ;)

Mark 1150 - Cheers Dude, sorry you missed this one, hope the report gave you at least a taste while you plan for the next ride.
Dancing in the moonlight
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

This is the 4th time iv tried to do this must be to many pics at once

Cheers guys good day top roads shit start (weather ) turn into a really good day :)
Attachments
P1010448.JPG
P1010448.JPG (50.54 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

jkclive1971 wrote:This is the 4th time iv tried to do this must be to many pics at once

Cheers guys good day top roads shit start (weather ) turn into a really good day :)
Attachments
P1010451.JPG
P1010451.JPG (73.71 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

jkclive1971 wrote:
jkclive1971 wrote:This is the 4th time iv tried to do this must be to many pics at once

Attachments
P1010456.JPG
P1010456.JPG (72.02 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

jkclive1971 wrote:
jkclive1971 wrote:

Attachments
P1010457.JPG
P1010457.JPG (45.03 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

as i take a little walk on the cat walk on the cat walk
P1010458.JPG
P1010458.JPG (65.12 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
bill u sexy bast_rd

Return to “North West”