bleedin french laws

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Stewie

Re: bleedin french laws

Post by Stewie »

Quite glad we had our Hi-Viz on the last trip, RTA on a steep right hand bend, so one of us up the top and one at the bottom slowing the traffic and they really take notice and slow or stop (thumbs) .
Always found the French to be sociable and up for a laugh ( Mostly at my French speaking :laugh: )
Phil I don't believe you, so will have to come and check... (thumbs)
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Redmurty wrote: 6 of us walk into a bar in Germany I say to the barman "Drie beer bitte" (sp?) he gave me an odd look then pulled 3 beers he hands then over and I say again "drie beer Bitte" to which he starts laughing and said in perfect English "why did you not ask for 6 beers" I replied " couldn't remember the number" he laughed more and gave me a freeby (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
:laugh: :laugh: Out of all the numbers, I would of thought 6 would be the one people remembered ;) :laugh: (thumbs)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

ChrisA wrote:
In my experience Spanish try to understand and the French don't, quelle surprise.[/quote]

I agree with that. Even though I do really like France, the French can sometimes be difficult with you if you don't get everything word perfect but I can get by reasonably well.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Scott_rider wrote:I like France and I like Spain. In my view, Spain is easier if you're on a bike because there are more petrol stations. Spain is also easier if you don't speak the lingo. Fortunately, I can speak a bit of French but my riding buddies always find it difficult when we are there.

One thing we noticed this year in Spain was the sheer amount of small towns and villages that seemed to have no-one around in the day...quite spooky.

The French are generally grumpy. The Spanish are generally happy. The French don't like to 'chat' to foreigners but the Spanish seem to be more welcoming. We noticed that the French 'mood' improved as we got further south, for some reason, so I guess it's a bit of a generalisation but we all noticed it :unsure: .
that just about sums it up from my experience, but i know sod all french and a bit of spanish

steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

chunky butt wrote:Its horrible here, don't come to France you'll hate it.....apart from nice weather,great quiet trails,bugger all on the roads,cheap wine,beer,fuel, no really there's nothing here for you, Steve.
think france to eat n drink out has got really exspensive, we just got back from our third trip, ok eating out in the tourist areas but the ave meal out for two is 70 euros, but much better in the camper

steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

moto al wrote:
Mike54 wrote:
Scott_rider wrote:I like France and I like Spain. In my view, Spain is easier if you're on a bike because there are more petrol stations. Spain is also easier if you don't speak the lingo. Fortunately, I can speak a bit of French but my riding buddies always find it difficult when we are there.

One thing we noticed this year in Spain was the sheer amount of small towns and villages that seemed to have no-one around in the day...quite spooky.

The French are generally grumpy. The Spanish are generally happy. The French don't like to 'chat' to foreigners but the Spanish seem to be more welcoming. We noticed that the French 'mood' improved as we got further south, for some reason, so I guess it's a bit of a generalisation but we all noticed it :unsure: .
only when those foreigners just talk loudly and wave their arms and expect to be understood without speaking a word of the language. A bit of effort with the language goes an awful long way
no doubt . Il be hanged oot too dry, it's a shame folk from the uk have the arrogance too think every one should speak English . Utter merde . :whistle:
al, sit still and be quiet, iam just trying the noose in the rope, can you just stand on the chair for me , good lad

steve
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

In France every place you go into you get a welcoming 'bonjour'. Ever so polite but it also requires a similar reply as a common courtesy and they expect it. It's also an invitation if you want to follow with a question as to how they can help you.

In Italy last month every place was the same 'bon journo' and again a reply and the same acknowledgement is expected.

What we don't always know is that in a lot of countries they perceive a non reply as a rudeness and immediately it colours their view.

I know from my own experiences when someone would come into my business and I would greet them with a good morning or a pleasant hello and get what seemed like grunt or ignored. Often I thought that it costs nothing to be nice. But the other side of that is that a lot of places ignore customers who walk in the door.

But if you live or come from somewhere that it's normal to be ignored when you walk into a place it requires a little sea change. Then you come back home and walk into a place to be met by some sour person and end up thinking gee they were so nice and friendly abroad, why not here.

A lot of it is just that there are differences in customs.

I had a funny experience one evening, invited around to a new American neighbours' house one Saturday evening at a time that clearly said dinner was on the menu. So I went about my diy all day and looked forward to this great meal. Wine and beer came out, fine, but food was needed. Eventually a sandwich appeared. Eventually after I went home I cooked dinner thinking they were mean as anything. Charitably I said they were new in the country working for a multinational and clearly had not been told what to expect of the natives. Fortunately I was able to tell them where it had gone wrong and explain a few local customs and expectations especially that an invite to someone's house on a Saturday night involves expectations of decent grub!!
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:In France every place you go into you get a welcoming 'bonjour'.
I was in Albert recently (for the Somme centinary) when my mate and I walked into a local butchers shop after spotting some splendid pies in the window. The lady initially gave us the initial Bonjour, to which I replied Bonjour Madam, however I was embarrassed by my companions response when he asked me "what did that silly cow want"?
My embarrassment was only compounded by the mutterings of distain from 2 ladies stood ahead of us in the queue. Needless to say I tried to apologise and left the shop pdq dragging him with me
john-g

Post by john-g »

Sorry if I upset people by mentioning how many Hoteliers etc spoke good English on my recent visit. I always use as much of the little French, German and Spanish that I know and understand. It just surprised me that so many French people do speak good English when we always assume they aren't into languages other than their own. Or am I showing my age?
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

My usual approach to arriving at the reception of a French hotel is "Bojour ..... Parlez vous Anglais"
If they respond in English or "a little" I'll continue the conversation in English, if the response is a profound galic "No" then I'll respond with "une réservation pour monsieur ........."
or if I don't have a reservation "chambre de libre pour une personne"?
Then I'll take it from there.
Though once in Spain a member of staff did ask if I wanted the Salon as they where serving lunch, but the penny did drop when they rubbed their belly and pointed to their mouth

Return to “THE PUB”