WANTED - Honda CRF250L or similar (freeride etc...)

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
scramblermatt

Re: WANTED - Honda CRF250L or similar (freeride etc...)

Post by scramblermatt »

Haha no worries!!
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Brenhden wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:59 pm
boboneleg wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:57 pm
Brenhden wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:54 am

Hmm, I was giving this a lot of thought the other day, it is faultless, totally reliable, do it all bike. But it doesn't draw me to use it though like my old unreliable bikes did. I wish it made a dirtier noise and revved lower like my DR650. Also it really does need better suspension.
I can't understand why you haven't sorted the suspension Brenhden, rear shock from YSS and it transforms the bike, even the suspension on a DR650 needs sorting.
It's not bothered me so much until this week. I usually ride so slow it's not a problem I guess.

Thats extremely kind of you! I will, of course, bring the finest of ales :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
scramblermatt

Post by scramblermatt »

Brenhden wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Hmm, I was giving this a lot of thought the other day, it is faultless, totally reliable, do it all bike. But it doesn't draw me to use it though like my old unreliable bikes did. I wish it made a dirtier noise and revved lower like my DR650. Also it really does need better suspension.
I can't understand why you haven't sorted the suspension Brenhden, rear shock from YSS and it transforms the bike, even the suspension on a DR650 needs sorting.
It's not bothered me so much until this week. I usually ride so slow it's not a problem I guess.

I don’t have a dirt bike yet or any knowledge to offer but can I come and drink some of those ales?
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

scramblermatt wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:03 pm

I don’t have a dirt bike yet or any knowledge to offer but can I come and drink some of those ales?
I brew all my own, since lockdown I've gone from a gallon a week to two gallons. I live alone so I can only assume someone is sneaking in at night and stealing it ;)

Sure thing, to sit and have a beer with someone would be a treat indeed :D
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
scramblermatt

Post by scramblermatt »

Brenhden wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:49 pm
scramblermatt wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:03 pm

I brew all my own, since lockdown I've gone from a gallon a week to two gallons. I live alone so I can only assume someone is sneaking in at night and stealing it ;)

Wow that’s amazing that you brew your own!! I’ve ordered tons of beer since lockdown...but fortunately see it as supporting local business so it’s ok!!!

Where are you based?
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

scramblermatt wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:01 pm
Brenhden wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:49 pm I brew all my own, since lockdown I've gone from a gallon a week to two gallons. I live alone so I can only assume someone is sneaking in at night and stealing it ;)

Wow that’s amazing that you brew your own!! I’ve ordered tons of beer since lockdown...but fortunately see it as supporting local business so it’s ok!!!

Where are you based?
Glos

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
scramblermatt

Post by scramblermatt »

Right now to try to get back on topic...

What sort of bikes do you guys recommend that are similar to the CRF250L? I’m a complete newbie coming into this so any advice is greatly appreciated!

I just want something not too power but still a bit of fun!

The KTM EXC 450 for sale on here looks great but terrifies me haha!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

That 450 will chug along as gentle as anything, but I expect the suspension will be set up for quick riding.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Kawasaki KLX 250, which has excellent, trail-orientated suspension and good road manners. Sadly, it was slated by Bike magazine for not being a sportsbike, and withdrawn from the UK market.

Good points are excellent suspension and a super-quiet exhaust.

It has a small fuel tank, but this is balanced by excellent fuel economy.

Top end performance is sadly lacking as stock, but there's a secret switch under the clutch lever, which, if disconnected , makes it far faster.

If that's still not enough fo you, then it is based on a 'common platform' with the KLX300 enduro bike of the 2000s, so there is a load more performance available if you are prepared to spend to get it.

The one, insurmountable issue with it is weight. It is far heavier than, say, the KTM you mentioned. But this is true of Honda, too.

A sort of half-way house between the Japanese trail bikes and the European enduro bikes is offered by Fantic

Lots of info on the Casa 250 here

http://haines.fanticmotoruk.com/

Worth a look if there is a dealer near you. One tip...I think it is supplied with a paper air filter, which will fall to bits if it gets wet. Haines will do a proper foam filter for you.
scramblermatt

Post by scramblermatt »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:39 am That 450 will chug along as gentle as anything, but I expect the suspension will be set up for quick riding.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Kawasaki KLX 250, which has excellent, trail-orientated suspension and good road manners. Sadly, it was slated by Bike magazine for not being a sportsbike, and withdrawn from the UK market.

Top end performance is sadly lacking as stock, but there's a secret switch under the clutch lever, which, if disconnected , makes it far faster.

If that's still not enough fo you, then it is based on a 'common platform' with the KLX300 enduro bike of the 2000s, so there is a load more performance available if you are prepared to spend to get it.

The one, insurmountable issue with it is weight. It is far heavier than, say, the KTM you mentioned. But this is true of Honda, too.

A sort of half-way house between the Japanese trail bikes and the European enduro bikes is offered by Fantic

Worth a look if there is a dealer near you. One tip...I think it is supplied with a paper air filter, which will fall to bits if it gets wet. Haines will do a proper foam filter for you.
Wow that’s really helpful thanks for that! Will def look at he Fantic and kawa and see what I turn up!
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

scramblermatt wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:39 am That 450 will chug along as gentle as anything, but I expect the suspension will be set up for quick riding.

Wow that’s really helpful thanks for that! Will def look at he Fantic and kawa and see what I turn up!
I had a KLX250 for a while, it was a lovely bike on the trails, I sold it for two reasons: I couldnt get a big feul tank for it and it seemed to only have a 80 mile range, I accidentally bought a DR350 one drunken night.

Once I had the 350 I never rode the KLX again, there is something so loveable about a DR. Many of this parish will opine for hours about the excellent gearbox, and the general easy ride of it. Finding a good one these days is a bit of a challenge, but its still my favorite bike I've ever owned.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”