What would put you off buying a GS1200/1250?

The Things We Ride
catcitrus

Re: What would put you off buying a GS1200/1250?

Post by catcitrus »

Just had a chat with someone at my local KTM dealer --who follows the facebook sagas etc--and the comment was that people are breaking the 790 because they are treating it like an enduro bike--which it is not--and we agreed that this was because the marketing idiots have pushed the bike with its ass hanging out on dirt roads rather than treat it like a good road bike which is capable of a few fire roads--which of course doesn't sell--and the same applies to the "mighty " GS--its a road bike--and as I've said before we have a proper one--1981 R80 G/S at 168 kg---they would be much better off on a genuine middle weight--or even a Honda 250 Rally--it will be interesting to see how the new 390 KTM "adventure bike" turns out.
EWR

Post by EWR »

I worked my way through a succession of trail and touring bikes back in the day (all Hondas - Dax, Benly, XRs, Dominator, XRV750 AT, Varadero, Deauville, Pan Euro) but was always intrigued by the GS (1100 I think it was back then). I'd never owned a BMW and tried a number during various test rides but, strangely, they all felt very different to one another - some tight and some distinctly 'woolly': can't explain why so I stuck with Honda.

When I thought I might buy a GS some time later, I test rode some more and found the exact same thing and bought a Super Ten instead which felt more like the natural successor to the original AT and which was a great bike.

When I eventually decided to satisfy my curiosity, I settled on a very nice 2014 1200 Rallye. It went well, handled and steered nicely but the biggest single problem I encountered was the intolerable white finger inducing vibration that occurred at about 80 mph on the motorway which is where it spent a lot of time and where it was most unwelcome. It was unbearable, coupled to a riding position I found, over time, too stretched and upright, and could only really get comfortable in the high seat position which meant I then struggled reaching the ground.

It was ridden little and swapped for a new African Twin DCT when that came out: I thought that was the bike I really wanted but I didn't like that either - nice enough but didn't stir anything in me, unlike the S10 which I felt much warmer toward.

It's only now I realise that I've probably been wearing my rose tinted specs for too long and would happily go back to my old '90s Hondas again.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Quite some time ago I'd a test ride on a used clean/tidy condition 2004 GS1150 Adventure and really loved it, but I remember during the fifty miles test ride at around 3,500 revs there was a hiccup/hesitation in the engine, so when I got back to the Motorad BMW Motorcycle dealership I said about the annoying hiccup in the engine etc, main salesman said that would be fixed no problems who ever buys the bike etc...
So I decided to buy this GS1150 Adv motorcycle and went to collect it a week later, after picking it up and riding it only a few miles the blooming annoying hiccup was still apparent, so I immediately returned to Motorad Bike dealership and explained my findings etc...
After many many months of the bike being returned, the BMW mechanics virtually replaced (over time) everything in relation to spark plugs/HT leads/fuel bits etc etc and still the bike didn't change from it's problematic missfiring problem, such a painful time as the main salesman told me it was totally fine and I was the problem, so another motorcycle salesman took out my GS1150 Adv for a good thirty minute ride and returned to say the machine was badly missfiring etc...
In the end I insisted I get my money back which was a lot of hassle but in the end I returned the faulty bike and got a refund, in fact on the day I'd to return the bike the thing wouldn't actually start and rang BMW Motorad and they insisted I flooded it etc, I'd then been riding motorcycles for more than 25yrs and I understand how to start a motorcycle and used to be a motorcycle mechanic in my early life.

I've never been treated like that from any motorcycle dealership in my life, unbelievable, was really offended and I'm not happy to darken the door again of Motorad dealership again.

Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

macvisual wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:04 pm Quite some time ago I'd a test ride on a used clean/tidy condition 2004 GS1150 Adventure and really loved it, but I remember during the fifty miles test ride at around 3,500 revs there was a hiccup/hesitation in the engine, so when I got back to the Motorad BMW Motorcycle dealership I said about the annoying hiccup in the engine etc, main salesman said that would be fixed no problems who ever buys the bike etc...
So I decided to buy this GS1150 Adv motorcycle and went to collect it a week later, after picking it up and riding it only a few miles the blooming annoying hiccup was still apparent, so I immediately returned to Motorad Bike dealership and explained my findings etc...
After many many months of the bike being returned, the BMW mechanics virtually replaced (over time) everything in relation to spark plugs/HT leads/fuel bits etc etc and still the bike didn't change from it's problematic missfiring problem, such a painful time as the main salesman told me it was totally fine and I was the problem, so another motorcycle salesman took out my GS1150 Adv for a good thirty minute ride and returned to say the machine was badly missfiring etc...
In the end I insisted I get my money back which was a lot of hassle but in the end I returned the faulty bike and got a refund, in fact on the day I'd to return the bike the thing wouldn't actually start and rang BMW Motorad and they insisted I flooded it etc, I'd then been riding motorcycles for more than 25yrs and I understand how to start a motorcycle and used to be a motorcycle mechanic in my early life.

I've never been treated like that from any motorcycle dealership in my life, unbelievable, was really offended and I'm not happy to darken the door again of Motorad dealership again.

Peter
Shit experience Peter.
A thing I hate about a typical main dealership....car/van or bike.... is that you rarely get to talk directly to the mechanic, the actual chap who is going to attempt to sort your vehicle out.
With a small repair shop you can generally speak directly to the guy who's going to do the job. You can explain to him the issues directly and no doubt he'll have some questions for you about those issues, which will help him diagnose problems.
Routine servicing stuff and the all important main dealer stamp I'd use main dealers.
Unfortunately you were stuck with them as your issue was warranty.
Just as a footnote, I've found Motorad to be the best of the bunch.
Heff

Post by Heff »

What would put me off...……………...Absolutely nothing. ;)

I have been dealing with Hursts (the only Motorrad dealer in Northern Ireland) for years and have never had a bad experience of any sort, with me, my GSA or the workshop. 8-)

I will buy another GSA in the near future :D
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Heff;

You've just mentioned the exact BMW dealership I'd the trouble with.
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

The same thing that would put me off ordering strawberry ice cream - I prefer vanilla.
Not that I don’t like strawberry or chocolate or any other flavour ice cream, it’s just that my favourite is a good vanilla - so if there’s one available that’s what I buy.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

"Hey Charlie, can you turn back and help me lift the bike up"

Whilst LWR was a great series and did amazing things for big Adventure Bike sales ( not just the GS ) people remember the positives ( not the negatives).

A quarter tonne+ off road is always going to be a handful.

If I can't pick it up easily in mud, off-camber, on my own, then it's not on my list.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I love my old K bikes and happily take them on fire roads and lanes. They are very cheap to buy, they haven't let me down, parts are easy to come by and despite an interesting reputation there is always someone who can fix them.

Varying 90-100 bhp which is more than adequate and hitting 253-290 kilos which is as heavy as I dare go to. Brilliant weather protection with it.

But if I want real off road something like a Honda CRF250 would be magic. Travel solo if you want, you can pick it up on your own and will go forever.

GS does appeal to me, but for me, I am simply too short and at 75 kilos it will get me in trouble.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
gbags

Post by gbags »

catcitrus wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:25 pm I also agree on the CB500X--mine is just an earlier version--with a bullet proof and long lived engine. I'm at that age where I also questioned the need to heave a great big hunk of junk around every time I stopped--and this is an adventure bike forum!--the big GS is a total liability anywhere near offroad--and it has lost its GS origins--thats why the smaller versions are so popular. I've ridden offroad with people trying to use the big GSs and got fed up with trying to drag them everywhere as soon as things got a little bit sticky--I agree that Knighter would have no problem, but mere mortals certainly will (I have two 250 trail bikes which I CAN pick up).
First, we’ll need to choose our own definition of Adventure.
It absolutely isn’t too big to be ridden off road.
It may be too big to take through deep mud and sand but it’s fabulous and weightless on gravel and any compacted surface. Choose your route.
What’s more it can take you and your gear all day at 80 over those surfaces so yes, it’s a great all rounder overlander’s bike.
If you specifically want to go dune bashing or mud plugging for two hours then home to tea, there are far better bikes but it all depends on what you want from your bike.
Yes, it’s expensive but it sells itself as a top end bike and why not?
Faults and fixes? Maybe some people have problems but I’ve seen a lot of blokes fixing bikes or riding with faults but hardly ever on these big Beemers.
For me an Adventure bike means an overlander and these big boxers are right up there.

Return to “BIKES”