looking for some legal advice on speeding

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Old Git Ray

Re: looking for some legal advice on speeding

Post by Old Git Ray »

The Sarge wrote:
Gedge wrote:
Andi_Archer wrote:Not enough witnesses

If the speeding charge was brought through an eye-witness account rather than by record from a camera or speed gun, there must be at least two witnesses. One witness alone is not enough for a speeding charge.
https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/personal/speeding
Nonsense..I spent 30 yrs prosecuting people ...single witness supported by technical means equals ample evidence to prosecute ...

( actually if you read what you actually posted it agrees with me ...)

What a statement to make on here "I spent 30 years prosecuting people"

Did you get a medal for that ?
Is that really necessary. That was his job. What do you expect him to do as a police offier ?
As for the above, he only corrected an incorrect statement.

(And before you ask, I have medals too, both military and civilian)
dave448

Post by dave448 »

if I see a speed camera van on my bike and I'm not 100% sure I was under the speed limit I stop before I pass it, get off the bike, cover my number plate and "U" turn, heading off in the direction I came from

wat a good idea!
note to self ...do the smart thing ..if caught ..
:blink:
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Just ride with a broken number plate and take the hit for that because the alternatives are limited to stop speeding or don't complain when you get caught. I've said before that I'm hundreds ahead when it comes to offences v convictions and I added at least another 4 camera flashes in my recent trip to Assen/Spa so I'm winning (thumbs)

I'm happy to take the occasional hit whether it's in the UK or abroad apart from Germany where I've paid in advance after catching one particularly heavy fine.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

I got a medal for speeding. OK, it was mucking about at an enduro. But it was on an army camp and I was a civvy. Never heard any more about it, so I think I got away with it.
Also rode with a lot of coppers. They were frequently speeding and falling orf. :P

Ps, Don't seem to get too many tickets riding old fart bikes and I'm sure to let the local coppers know that the bike has no MOT or road tax either and the exhaust is lovely and load with lots of popping and banging. Bloody brilliant. :laugh:
hooligan

Post by hooligan »

If the van can't see the rd for 300 mtrs then go to court with a solicitor.
They have to see along the road to acertain you are speeding.
Only if it's a speed van. Cop cars can sit anywhere.

Ps this thread is full of childish and ridiculous comments .
He said it first .. I only judge when being judged.
Comments like that and like this :
Prosecuting arseholes.

Pathetic ...

I really worry that people who have that attitude or debate heroics with the armed forces are even allowed to be in the police force in the first place.
YOSHIWOLVES

Post by YOSHIWOLVES »

guys, thanks for all the replys,, (although I didn't mean to start ww3 :blush: ) I will hopefully get the speed awerness course offered, never done one before,
couldn't have done a u turn as it was on a dual carridgeway with a large central resavation, you know the type, the ones that are usually more than a 50 limit :laugh:

thanks all :) :)
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

YOSHIWOLVES wrote:guys, thanks for all the replys,, (although I didn't mean to start ww3 :blush: ) I will hopefully get the speed awerness course offered, never done one before,
couldn't have done a u turn as it was on a dual carridgeway with a large central resavation, you know the type, the ones that are usually more than a 50 limit :laugh:

if it's a dual carriageway with a central res, the speed limit would be 70 mph ??
hooligan

Post by hooligan »

Forgot to mention that one can only be offered speed awareness if less than 15mph over the limit.
Fine in this case , only 8 over. The 10% over is entirely discretionary and one can technically be prosecuted for 31mph in a 30mph limit; although very unlikely.
Also, if 30mph over the limit , it is court ( they can't offer a ticket) and most likely a ban .
I hope we are all having good, fast and safe fun out there.
YOSHIWOLVES

Post by YOSHIWOLVES »

The Sarge wrote:
YOSHIWOLVES wrote:guys, thanks for all the replys,, (although I didn't mean to start ww3 :blush: ) I will hopefully get the speed awerness course offered, never done one before,

if it's a dual carriageway with a central res, the speed limit would be 70 mph ??
only if it has the national speed limit signs,, this one was a 50,, more and more seem to be, this particular one used to be 70 a few years back,
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

hooligan wrote:
I really worry that people who have that attitude or debate heroics with the armed forces are even allowed to be in the police force in the first place.
Why?

I've had a few occasions where I've been moody about police officers but I wouldn't fancy having to take on a knife wielding lunatic unarmed and alone which is a position they could find themselves in any day they turn up for duty.

Return to “THE PUB”