The ABR Rally season kicks off in Takoda Camping, Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria
minkyhead

Re: Boil Rally ride outs

Post by minkyhead »

i cant do sunday mick ..maby you and the barnman could hook up
i can get out in the week

i think it would be better if we had two groups

one on road and one off .. i really would like to to be in the off group

just an idea .. i wonder if james would like to do the on ??

some of the trails are 11 miles long and it would be a bit of a skirt around ..i dont think it would work too well ..may be a lot of waiting about

the other thing is if their are big numbers off road it may be a good idea to split it into two groups or maby even three

the last thing we want is some fekkin tree hugger complaining about thirty bikes ..and the snapping it with their mobile .
it just gives them great ammo to tro us into extinction grr .
the attitudes of some walkers and cyclist is not all anti
their happy to live and let live i speak to people often on the trails

..but real big groups in one hit is not totally cricket ..
in the interests of others [motorcylists that is ] we should consider keeping it as unintimidating as is possible

just an couple of ideas to throw in to the pot ??
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

We could do the main rides and break them into two groups for onroad and offroad. Then do a shorter mass ride for the whole camp as a sort of Boil victory ride out! :woohoo:
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

CRAIGREVO wrote:We could do the main rides and break them into two groups for onroad and offroad. Then do a shorter mass ride for the whole camp as a sort of Boil victory ride out! :woohoo:
That sounds good to me....maybe run out to Hawes or Hadrians wall with everyone on Sunday, stop off at Hartside Top Cafe for a brew or something?

Right then. When the Boil idea started forming, Alun put a choices box at the top of the thread to work out suitable dates for the event. Does anyone know how to do this on a new thread so that we can get numbers for on and off road. We can then maybe try and split into groups making sure we don't put all the medics in one etc...:)
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Lancastermick wrote:
CRAIGREVO wrote:We could do the main rides and break them into two groups for onroad and offroad. Then do a shorter mass ride for the whole camp as a sort of Boil victory ride out! :woohoo:
That sounds good to me....maybe run out to Hawes or Hadrians wall with everyone on Sunday, stop off at Hartside Top Cafe for a brew or something?

Right then. When the Boil idea started forming, Alun put a choices box at the top of the thread to work out suitable dates for the event. Does anyone know how to do this on a new thread so that we can get numbers for on and off road. We can then maybe try and split into groups making sure we don't put all the medics in one etc...:)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

Lancastermick wrote:
mark1150 wrote:
Mr Toad wrote:Some light tracks and trails would be good for interest if anyone has the knowledge ?
Not a bad idea, providing the weather has been kind prior to and during the trip.
The only foreseeable glitch is that most peeps will have travelled up or down loaded to the gunwales with camping kit etc and tourancesque tyres.
And after last weeks shinanagins in my van (6 hours ) to go 120 miles by 3 recovery trucks I'd hate to have a self inflicted problem even further from home, with all the kit to get home also; it could turn into a Captain Oats moment... I might be some time.
Maybe Barnman could take some video of a typical stretch and then you guys could weigh up the odds with a bit more of an idea ;) I love volunteering other people! :) :laugh: :laugh:
dont be shy try
James691

Post by James691 »

I do think the idea of smaller groups is the way forward or even stagger the times. I've been in large long distance groups of 90+ riders at it is a nightmare at fuel stops (The poor guy at Haverfordwest service station at 2am had no idea what hit him! :laugh: ), smoke stops and so on. Of course this is not an endurance race so people can bimble off or stop when they want without the group.

Given the amount of options of tracks I'd have to also agree that an On and an Off group would work better for this number of riders, again there may well be those that want to ride off with just them and the wife/husband - that's cool.

I can't do the road ride on Saturday :( as much as I would love to as when you lot are playing on the those yummy, up and down gear roads I will heading off for a 10,000 mile endurance slog around Europe.

I'm more than happy to offer routes via garmin or google if people want. I also have an AA road book of 1000's of places of interest that I am happy to leave at the rally for people to have a look at and do options on the day, standing stones, area of outstanding natural beauty etc for some interesting bike and vista shots...as long as I get it back :)

I'd say a group of 10 would be about right? - with a medic in each one for Mick ;)

So if we all know who has -

An interest in joining a ride out

If that interest is on or off road

You could then break that number into teams of 10

Find who would be happy leading a ride out of 10

Throw out some routes - some could be chatted about Friday night (I know people will be taking about it then anayway - we all love to play on our machines at the end of the day)

Then you have a basis for a plan - that can then all go to rat shit and you make do with what the end product is as everyone has a fantastic time and I'm left with a sore arse and knackered somewhere near Lisbon with 9000 miles to go - well, that's the plan anyway.

I think only Alun and EmJ can set a pole vote option to a thread. I've never tried.
Dancing in the moonlight
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

James691 wrote:
I think only Alun and EmJ can set a pole vote option to a thread. I've never tried.
That's what we need! Cheers James! :)
Alun

Post by Alun »

Lancastermick wrote:

I've posted up a new thread for the off road/on road poll here. I've also changed the settings so that anyone can set up a poll
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

Preperations going well gents. Just had a cracking sunny day out in the mountains with Barnman! 2 out of five trails definately suitable for Tourance riding. :) Just gotta link the others up to them and were tip top! ;)

It's worth pointing out by the way that although these are tourance level trails, there are some technical bits and the bike may well end up horizontal in a slow motion stylee! Neither I or barnman are ex motocross-enduro-trials champions, so the lanes we're choosing are based on moderate effort while showcasing the area.

We are taking into account that the machines have to be ridden home and that it's more about getting off the beaten track to see the breathtaking views down into the valleys.

At some point me, barnman and minkyhead'll meet up and put it all together. Some photo's and some video to follow...

Barnman's video might be a while cause he told his missus he'd be back at noon for sunday lunch. Must have rolled in past 6! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh yeah, picked up a new recruit to the fold by the way. Guy called Andy from Kendal taking his 3 day old GSA 1200 out for a bimble on the trails! Nice. Likes the mag, will be joining the forum shortly! :)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

"Preperations going well gents. Just had a cracking sunny day out in the mountains with Barnman! 2 out of five trails definately suitable for Tourance riding. Just gotta link the others up to them and were tip top!"

how about this one mick it ticks all the boxes
it really doesnt matter what tyres syou have fitted

.....with added bonus of being guarranteed to stay upright :silly:

By minkyhead at 2011-03-06
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “ABR FIRST TO THE BOIL RALLY APRIL 15th 2011”