Why do you have an Adventure Style Bike

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Locksmith

Re: Why do you have an Adventure Style Bike

Post by Locksmith »

In the early 90's i had a CBR 600 and loved it , but i had a accident on my mountain bike and done my back in ..The CBR was just to hard to ride with a bad back so i sold it and got a Transalp . Since then ive always liked adventure bikes .
Suzuki DL650 (Wee) with many nice mods ..

Yamaha XT660Z Tenere also modded ..

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/

http://www.adventurebikers.net/forum/index.php
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I think like most of the replies so far..my reasons stem from growing up on off road bikes and in those days pretty much all standard bikes were sit up and beg....went through a phase of sportsbikes but a broken neck ribs and thumb meant that it became unconfortable to ride..ever since then have reverted to off road style of bikes and feel much more at home especially doing long distances and carrying luggage etc........

So far:
MZ Baghira, Vertemati 501, GasGas ec250, Aprilia Tuono, Cagiva Navigator, Husqvarna 610, Kawasaki versys X2, Morini Granpasso, BMW G450X, Husqvarna TR650 terra..only broken up by owning a GSXR750 for about 150 miles............
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Never thought of getting one until I was waiting for a service on my bike and had a test ride on a GS800 and fell in love :P couldn`t believe it would handle like that.
I can have fun on bumpy roads at relatively sane speeds, it`s comfortable for my aching bones and it looks the mutts nuts.

On my way home today I took a bumpy righthander at speed and scraped the centre stand, if I had tried that on a sports bike they would have been digging me out of a hedge :laugh:
snowr2802

Post by snowr2802 »

Upright suits my frame, suffer "chain saw" hand, so again weight off the wrists is really important for me.
ZX6R was really liked, but could you ride 800 miles in a day on one comfy? (.....tho' I know folk who have!)
Still need a sporty little 600 for keeping me young ('96 Thundercat) but at the mo' BMW 12GS suits me fine, my "martini" bike!
And w.r.t. dick length, chain drive would be sadism, shaft drive is fine for me! :P
And if ever I should not reach where I am expected, and commenced that journey on a motorbike, wherever destiny finds me I will be content!

XTZ1200 - the mutts

Kawasaki ER250 Scorpion - the dog of the garage

Garelli Concorde 50cc - every biker should have one! :-)
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

Because of Mexican speed humps (topes)

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
XR400STUPOT

Post by XR400STUPOT »

KTMRR005.JPG
KTMRR005.JPG (77.99 KiB) Viewed 709 times
My answer, because they are great fun to ride in all conditions, these bikes are not just for sunny days, I ride mine whatever the weather, whenever I can. Not so with most sports bike riders. As the old saying goes, horses for couses.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

that's a nice looking bike!

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I used to ride sports bikesbut found it hard to behave myself so i was always worried about getting an envelope through the post a few days later. :dry:

i then started riding enduro bikes for trail riding that then led to racing so the ducati wasn't getting used. i wanted to get a bike i could use all the time, commute on and not be to paranoid if i parked it up in town.
The xt660z tenere ticked all the boxes. very good fuel economy so it will save me money when commuting to work. sits nice and high so i can see over traffic. engine not too fast so i'll not feel inclined to ride too fast. the car only gets used now when i trailer my race bike to an event or practice. i also love the ability to ramp up and over pavements any time i want to get through traffic.
i also fancied do some 'adventure' type stuff so there was a plan to go to morocco but plans went wrong so still not go there yet. also planed to do some trail riding again last year as i've not done any since starting racing but the weather was so poor last year i didn't fancy it on a 180 kg bike.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
dave j

Post by dave j »

I came to riding bikes fairly late in life (only 9 years ago - my eternal thanks to the now Mrs Jones). After doing CBT & DAS, I tried lots of different bikes, my first bike being a F650 Dakar, loved the comfort, hence the progression to the KTM Adventure (& a whole world of green lanes, welsh weekends etc.). I can deal with Nakeds - speed triples etc, but sportsbikes? Especially the tiny 1,000's nowadays, I simply don't fit them & I'm only 6" 1".
KTM 1290 Super Adventure T - Power!
KTM 690 Enduro R - lighter to pick up
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - Fun.

Even our dogs are orange.

Only bikers understand why dogs put their heads out of car windows.
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

They cope better with the cr*p state of the roads, & Edinburgh currently have some of the worst in the UK :whistle:

Riding position & road presence are plus points too.
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk

Return to “THE PUB”