Weird steering feeling ! Is this normal ?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ABWrider

Re: Weird steering feeling ! Is this normal ?

Post by ABWrider »

Paul if u r ever in Manchester pop over to the shop ABW in swinton I have had 3 pans ,I am by now means an expert but I do fix bikes for a living and ride every day a different bike
And hope I could help a fellow pan head
I have an x9 500 scooter that passed mot before I bought it when I rode it for the first time it would turn and speed wobbly at 20 mph
Head bearings shot

0161 736 8040
Jono
gsa1150,1200,mt500,mt350,k100r,klr650,x9 500,a van,landy,a shop and a boat load of bills
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Bluepaul wrote:Cheers for the replies :)

Bearings and tyres all seem good so I think it might be all about getting use to the bike.

Best I go out and get some mileage done :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
OR simply get your tiger back ...... :whistle: ;)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Niklas

Post by Niklas »

I have read all the above mentioned and all suggestions seem to be worth checking up on.

But what about a hanging brake?
What about broken sealings in the front fork or a bended front fork?
If the Pan is born with steering damping, how about if that's not working anymore?
What if the wheel bearings are worn? Does the bike feel like "floating"?

Some tires work bad with certain bikes.
I had Battle Wing in front on my F8GSpot and they created a slight wobbling at certain speeds.
I had some Michelin tyres on the rear of a classic R69S and they created a "Falling feeling" when bending gentle.
I had som "Brand forgotten" on my Laverda 500 Formula and the bike suddenly had no stability on a straight line.

If nothing's wrong, how about solving the symptom and making the bike better handling by putting on a steering damper?

Niklas
Big Den

Post by Big Den »

Agree with all the above, unfortunatly i do not rate the 021's, had them on one of my Pans and they were shite, especialy the front. When they wear the front weights up in corners and it feels like the headrace has gone. The ST1100 is one of the most predictable and stable tools out there, my moneys on the 021's wear them out and put some better rubber on mate.
Also dont forget on a bike the tail wags the dog ie if the rear tyre is knackered it will affect the front giving the impression the front is at fault.

ride safe
Just bikes for me ta

Return to “TECHNICAL”