Dragon Rally

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
AndyB

Re: Dragon Rally

Post by AndyB »

I wasn't there so I'm only going by photos I've seen but it doesn't look bad! We're talking hard standing for the bikes, drainage culverts and grass to camp on where your tent is a few feet from your tent. What's so hardcore about that?
JimR

Post by JimR »

Out of 16 tents in our area, I saw 4 go in the bin and people were pre booking sleeping space in the shower stalls.
laine

Post by laine »

Andy B
you can book for next year around october time. get booked and see how you get on. some years are easy some years only 200 will make it. its a great rally much more than just looking at pictures on your laptop. the week end starts when you leave home and finishes when you get home it is always an adventure.
christian

Post by christian »

Good meeting you Stuart and to all the others who i possibly offended in my usual nice manner!

Do you remember the Irish lads....One lad sleeping till awoken by Scottish Mooser and his incredibly loud bagpipe serenade? The lads first sleepy words of startle were "Are you in my tent" as Mooser continued with his bellowing on the pipes and the crowd video'd and took pictures of the awakening.....I may even post one or two of them up this week!!

Wow it was crap weather and Bob and Fred cajoled me into the pub as a rest bite...
After all that beer which was needed with the Welsh performance i am genuinely surprised that no one slept that night!

As for the fight, well there is always one, just not in plane view...We were far too drunk to notice or care.

A grand time had by all and well done to the organizers as it mus be very difficult to please with such wet conditions....
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Thanks for the good wishes!
Went to see him last night and he's lost sight in a quarter of his vision, can't walk or even stand and speech is difficult, must admit I did shed a fair few tears. I'll go catch up with the Stroke Drs today to see what they say!
Great to meet you Laine, hope the rest of your ride was good and that you managed to eat more than I did in the diner!
Cheers
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

AndyB wrote: What's so hardcore about that?
The hardcore was where the bikes were parked.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

laine wrote:Andy B
you can book for next year around october time. get booked and see how you get on. some years are easy some years only 200 will make it. its a great rally much more than just looking at pictures on your laptop. the week end starts when you leave home and finishes when you get home it is always an adventure.
I've been before and though I enjoyed myself the fact that it's only a single night affair and it's usually the weekend after the Elefant put me off going again.
markoh

Post by markoh »

Whilst I had a great time scoffing Devon Johns excellent repast and chatting to those camped near us, the campsite made it very difficult to find anyone as it was so spread out and compartmentalised. I hope they change the campsite next year.
Biquad

Post by Biquad »

The campsite was apalling. Lots of small plots, which were not that sheltered, very flat with no drainage and would not take a peg. Ours turned into a mush. The wind blew down my mates 'Tipi' and later on smashed my 'lean to' and tent. I've been to many a Dragon rally and this was the worst site in my opinion. It would have been good to waneder around the bikes but they were either hidden or dispersed all over the place. I can manage the wind and rain as I usually camp all year around. I didn't get wet or cold at all. I did go for a ride out on the Saturday afternoon for some food / beer etc and saw an awful lot of bikes leaving the site with their camping gear still on their bikes, work that one out. My brother was trail riding over at Llangollen and had accommodation over there, he has mentioned to me that there were a lot of bikes still loaded up on the Saturday night over there, not exactly in the spirit of the event. (Collect the badge and leave "I did the Dragon"!)
I didn't spend too much time at the 'pub' as the jostling was not good and I believe the bar area packed and waiting for beer was a challenge. I wasn't too bothered as I'd had a good night previously at Llanfairfechan in the pubs and local bunkhouse.
I think the trick is to join the Conwy M/C club then you can pick the best spot and camp on the Friday evening. Then you are already at the event for the Saturday, collect your badge and if it's really crap you can decide to stay or leave.(Was that in inadvertant dig?)
exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

Did anyone manage to speak to them about the suitability of the site?? I know that the Conwy MCC website has been down a while. Anyone know if it's going back up??
It was a crap campsite, but waiting for beers where we were wasn't an issue at all. I'll be back next year, just wish it was a Friday and Saturday event.

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”