Road riders here

The ABR Rally season kicks off in Takoda Camping, Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria
Barcelona Pat

Re: Road riders here

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Seems there is a real consensus on the need for a 'bimblers' group with no clear set milage, but regular stops taking in a few hours in both morning and afternoon. Happy with that.

I'm with many here in looking forward to the scenery (and riding company of course) as I've not visited the area before. I'll have the GPS but would rather not lead - unless it is simply finding our way back cos we got lost! I'll slot in with whatever is planned with a grateful nod of thanks.
B)
Pat
Alphadog43

Post by Alphadog43 »

davsato wrote:sorry barnman, im happy being out for a few hours then lunch, then a few hours more, with coffee stops in between. a leisurely day out seeing the countryside sounds good"
This sounds good to me :) I would also like to take the oppotunity of visiting the nearby Nature Rally check points if possible ;)
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Mark1961 wrote:I am willing to take a slow group out. Covering the interesting routes/locations.

A bit of advice, select some group leaders and let them choose their own routes based on what Members want to do. That way we please everyone..... almost.
Several slower groups would be a good thing , as for me I would not want a large group behind me. As I am not familiar with the area say 5 - 10 riders.

I think Marks point is good, mark some interesting routes and sights / coffee points / views on a map / , and let the leaders make there own way .

As for distance , not sure about this , but a couple of hours morning including stops then somewhere for lunch , couple of hours afternoon then back to camp .

Might be helpful to mark petrol stations within the area also
:)
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

Road for me - I've not really ridden in a group before, but am looking forward to it.
Happy to ride all day. Was hoping to get in the Northumberland Nature Rally point.
davsato

Post by davsato »

been looking in the road atlas, this isnt an 'official' group route, but if nothing better crops up my mate and i were going to do this on the saturday;
set GPS to shortest route, go across from kirkby stephen to the coniston/windemere area taking in wrynose and hardnott passes, and a few other hilly bits, seafood lunch in morecambe then swing east to take in some of the dales on the way back to the campsite, and a well deserved beer.

anyone welcome to join us.
Dave
scouse

Post by scouse »

davsato wrote:been looking in the road atlas, this isnt an 'official' group route, but if nothing better crops up my mate and i were going to do this on the saturday;
set GPS to shortest route, go across from kirkby stephen to the coniston/windemere area taking in wrynose and hardnott passes, and a few other hilly bits, seafood lunch in morecambe then swing east to take in some of the dales on the way back to the campsite, and a well deserved beer.

anyone welcome to join us.

Hehehehe take it you have never ridden that way before ;) Don't think it will be lunch in Morecambe, unless you set out very early to avoid queueing up and down the passes behind the Klondikes :D

I would go for taking it easy and have a pootle round Windemere up Kirkstone Pass via the Struggle back down into Grasmere then back to Ambleside and then head over the passes to the Woolpack at the western foot of the Hardkott. They no longer brew the beer there but the garden and one of their ploughmans and a pint of Hardknott can't be beat... and as regards seafood meals in Morecambe... most likely it would be the same Fleetwood fish as they sell anywhere... my memories of Morecambe from back in the 70's is that it made Blackpool look classy! :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
davsato

Post by davsato »

scouse wrote:... my memories of Morecambe from back in the 70's is that it made Blackpool look classy! :D
thats it im def going then!

i said if nothing better crops up, no ive never been there before and a bit of local knowledge is always handy. you dont have to lead a group, but if you get the feeling youre being followed................ :whistle:
Dave
scouse

Post by scouse »

davsato wrote:
scouse wrote:... my memories of Morecambe from back in the 70's is that it made Blackpool look classy! :D
thats it im def going then!

i said if nothing better crops up, no ive never been there before and a bit of local knowledge is always handy. you dont have to lead a group, but if you get the feeling youre being followed................ :whistle:
Just suggesting :whistle: ... me going out on the Saturday depends on what kind of drinking mood Crowitch is in on the Friday if he makes it... we may try to relive the "Albertville Incident..." which Jimbike was privy to... Englishmen abroad ... hot sun all day then cold beer...a cocktail made with three drinks beginning with C... and French measures of spirits on Bastille day and an invasion of a steak house are not a good combination for the faint hearted or riding a bike the next day :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Wandering Star

Post by Wandering Star »

I haven't booked a camp site because at my age camping's not good unless weather is warm, so it's a ride up and get b & b if I can. If I'm there it will be tarmac all the way. Bike is on road tyres and needs to get me home. Defo a tourist route with coffee and lunch stops would be great. Mileage I reckon would depend on the roads used, but guessing what they are like I would reckon probably around 100-120 miles would be about right. That equates to about 4 or 5 hours riding plus a couple of hours for coffee and lunch stops and that gives you about a 6 or 7 hour day, leaving time to get back for an early beer or two.
Bluepaul

Post by Bluepaul »

Road for me please.

I've road tyres on the Tiger and I'm not changing them until I need to. :)

Slow bimble rides with plenty of views are for me, with hopefully a "Nature Rally" stop or two.

I don't have Satnav so following me wouldn't be the best idea !!!

Return to “ABR FIRST TO THE BOIL RALLY APRIL 15th 2011”