Tyre ideas..

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
davsato

Re: Tyre ideas..

Post by davsato »

what i used to do for my XT was keep the set of knackered old original 21"/17" wheels with off road tyres and a got a new set of 17" wheels shod with sports tyres for the road. so i had a trail bike and a supermoto for undoing 2 bolts.

i dont know what bike youve got but look around for wheels or hubs they crop up on ebay and whatever
Dave
coops!!

Post by coops!! »

Ive had a real good look now and I quite like the look of either the Mefo explorer or Heidenau K60 scouts, both those tyres look like a good compromise and are a step further in off road ability. Bearing in mind yesterday was as extreme as Im likley to do (esepcially on my pegaso!!) and my total lack of skill, looking back, it is actually a bit mad how far up the slippy trails those Scorpions got me!! So on that basis either of the two tyres above would be perfect for me as they also seem quite suitable for the road...? Agree? I do like to hoon about a bit on the aprilia on the road!! ;)

Any thoughts between the two above or even any other comparable tyres now I know where Im looking in terms of road/off road bias? Mitas E07's?

Thanks
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

K60 are great tyres (rear, not front) but the moment the scout wears to that centre block it is rubbish in mud / grass etc etc.

The Meffo Sport Explorer isnt as agressive as the Super Explorer I have. The Super Explorer is based ont he old K60 tread pattern, not the scout.

Hard choice, but for the fact the K60 scout has the centre block tread pattern Id be tempted to try the Meffo Sport Explorer. ?Have a look at the Mitas E07 though as well....cant comment on this tyre myself.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

If you go for the K60 dont get a front. They are rubbish for what you want. Get a TKC80 on the front.

If you go for the Meffo, before you get a front try and find a pic on one. I cant see a pic on the Zenoverland site. Or put a TKC front on as well?
Grumbleweed

Post by Grumbleweed »

Mitas E-07.s Brilliant bit of kit. Never got stuck with these on my AT.
coops!!

Post by coops!! »

http://www.zenoverland.com/tyres_tubes/ ... lorer.html#

I think the front is next pic to rear? Its certainly a lot more agressive than the Scorpion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
skygod

Post by skygod »

Ive had TKC`s and Metzeler Karoos for a few years now. About 3 sets of each. Think I`m going to try MITAS next.
Those MEFO`s look good though.
The great philosopher Keating once said:

"Life`s a roller coaster, you just have to ride it".
coops!!

Post by coops!! »

Right > > decision made! its Mitas e07 or mefo explorers...

The Mefo fronts seem to be the most agreesive block pattern so probably those at a push..
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

coops!! wrote:http://www.zenoverland.com/tyres_tubes/ ... lorer.html#

I think the front is next pic to rear? Its certainly a lot more agressive than the Scorpion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I may be missing it? But I think those 2 pics are of the rear? One of the entire tyre, and the other a close up of the tread...from the rear?
coops!!

Post by coops!! »

beddowsm wrote:
coops!! wrote:http://www.zenoverland.com/tyres_tubes/ ... lorer.html#

I may be missing it? But I think those 2 pics are of the rear? One of the entire tyre, and the other a close up of the tread...from the rear?
Hmmm..you might be right!!??

Return to “TECHNICAL”